• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

How to make semitransparnet glass

Started by Xyloxadoria, April 03, 2009, 08:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xyloxadoria

This tutorial will teach you how to make semitransprent glass. Thanks to cogeo for the info. some of whats here is in his old post somewhere, credit goes to him for the info, im just bringing it back and adding some of my own info.

Okay first of all you need to have transprancy in your model before you render. To do that, just add opacity to your glass material. You can do that by making the opactiy be lower than 100. I used 70 in this example.

Second you will have to make custom LODS. Just make sure to not have LOD where things like cars and trains etc will be.
Then name what you made LOD3, and make two copies named LOD4 and LOD5. Here is a example on my model:

After you are done making the LODs, render out normally. Then when the model is done rendering, open it in reader. There are some changes you will need to make. Click on entry and go down to the first S3D file. If its real blurry looking then skip it, those don't need to be changed.

Stop on the first one that looks like a normal ingame prieview, and go over to the Mats tab on the right. Go down and click on the materil name beside the 0 you will see some dropdown boxes. Make the following changes on them
1. Change Alpha Func to always
2. Change Src Blend to source alpha
3. Change Dest Blend to one minus source alpha
4. Check the framebuffer blending box
5. Then go up top and click Apply to save thoose changes

If you did it right it will look like this when done except with your model:

The rest is just repeating that. If theres a 1 mat or others in that s3d file, go to it and do the same thing. If not, then repeat on the 0 mat of the next S3D file thats not blurry.

After youve done this to all the files, use the save button to save it. Say yes to the overwrite. Then you can continue onto plugin manager normally.

Heres a pic of it in game after the modding, the game enviroment shows thorugh the glass:

If you made good LODs then you should be able to place props inside whatever building you made.

Hope you enjoy this tutorial and you you have any questions just post.

buddybud

thank you very much for sharing this xylo. You've provided yet another toy for me!!!!

Bud

H4tchetman

Thankyou so much for this tutorial Xyloxadoria you have made my project possible  :thumbsup: