• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM: Development

Started by memo, April 29, 2007, 06:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swamper77

Kassarc,

I can try that and see how it looks in the game. I'll attempt that this weekend instead of using my week nights to do my modding. I have to get up at 5:30 am to be at work by 7:30 am, Monday through Friday.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

nerdly_dood

Oh dude, getting up at 5:30 AM is very :thumbsdown: ... I'll try to let you do your own thing, if I got up that early to do modding before I went to work the mods would SUCK and also I would be very /wrrd%& when I get to work...  Hope you can get enough sleep! &mmm
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

Swamper77

I do my modding in the evenings, usually. I get up that early because it takes me an hour or so to get to work from where I live. I play with real rush hour traffic every morning and evening when I commute. Thanks for warm wishes of me getting enough sleep, though. Very much appreciated. ;)

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

nerdly_dood

Umm, if you don't mind my asking...what is that?? (I know what it is, don't answer)  It looks very strange and, umm, cobbled together... I think the NAM team should give you an answer, that's just One of Those Questions that A) I cant answer or B) I don't want to think hard enough to give you a straight honest true answer for.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.

Xyloxadoria

I finished making the model for the avenue glr to subway transition. I made special LOD's for it so that cars and trains would appear on it. I originally made the model in max, but i couldn't get the render to work. The render in gmax doesn't look as good. I don't know how to mod it to get it to work correctly, or how to make paths so that it looks like the train goes into the tunnel. anyway here is a render form max, i can attach the gmax rendered  model file for you to mod if you want me to. (it doesn't look as good) Here is the thread i stated for my max problem, if you can help with that.

Also in the game, the tunnel is blocked by the ground when i use no (transparent) base textures. What do i have to use so that doesn't happen.

gn_leugim

now thatsm something great!!! hope you can put it run ;)

nerdly_dood

:o omg that is BEAUTIFUL, i love it!  I hope u can get it working!

debutterfly

nice... &apls now which side of the avenue will have the subway underneath... ;)

Chrisim

That model looks fantastic!  :)
Although your rendered model is possibly not final yet, please email it and I will forward it to the NAM team for modding. If/When you will have an updated version of the model, it will be easy to insert it.

jonoboo

That looks excellent, but I have one thing that bugs me a little bit. The normal avenue and the GLR avenue are different widths. Could you perhaps make the change from each gauge more subtle, perhaps over 2 tiles instead of one. Only if it isn't too much bother, if it means totally redoing huge sections of it, don't change it. Sorry for being a nuisance.

Jono.
Meh!

Xyloxadoria

Quote from: debutterfly on May 25, 2008, 02:06:56 PM
nice... &apls now which side of the avenue will have the subway underneath... ;)

I don't know which side it will end up on. The game kind of randomly places the subway station block under one of the lot tiles. Ive even seen it on different places on the same lot before.

Quote from: jonoboo on May 25, 2008, 05:37:16 PM
That looks excellent, but I have one thing that bugs me a little bit. The normal avenue and the GLR avenue are different widths. Could you perhaps make the change from each gauge more subtle, perhaps over 2 tiles instead of one. Only if it isn't too much bother, if it means totally redoing huge sections of it, don't change it. Sorry for being a nuisance.
Jono.

I used a one tile transition because that is the texture that currently exists in the NAM. it would be easy to change if there was a two tile transition, but i didn;t find a texture for it when i searched though the nam file. (see post above, the transition is attached.) I still havent figured out my max problem yet so i could send the model file if needed (as the fence and the lampposts will have to be a t21 prop if it is part of the nam,but i think it would be better if it was a lot based station) I still have some final touches to add to the model (I need to change the lampposts they seem kind of short/small) I have a gmax file a max file and a rendered model so just pm me with a address and what you want. (if you use max i need to know which version to avoid issues)

cogeo

Are you sure that this can act as a real GLR-to-subway connection, if implemented as a puzzle piece? (I mean really convert GLR<->subway traffic).

GLR (el) and subway are actually different forms of traffic (though they are both coloured the same), and as far as I know network puzzle pieces cannot perform traffic conversions (Maxis does this using a TE lot). I attempted making my RTMT set puzzle pieces; this would solve the TL textures problem as well as the no-access zots, but the game seems to ignore most properties specifying a "transport station" -only some specific properties like the park/landmark effects and the Occupant Groups appear to really work. Most importantly, I couldn't make it perform any transit switchings.

If instead, this is implemented as a TE-lot, it is quaranteed that conversions will work, but it will block access to the RCI lots facing it (and this one is quite long).

As for aesthetics, I think the network textures shouldn't be modelled, as it's very hard to make them looking the same. For network textures, as well as overlay textures for lots, this IS feasible.
Also I'm not sure if nightlighting really works for props used on networks. Look at Maxis networks, all props are unlit (the lightcones shown in streetlights are actually separate models - technically they aren't "lit" eihter).

Cliff794

I've got a request involving GLR over one way roads. As in street car type approach. Is there a way to overlap road and GLR(El-R) textures and mapping? I wouldn't know where to begin, or how to start.

klaascornelis

That looks really nice Xyloxadoria
I hope it will work what with all the problems cogeo mentions

Greetings
KC

videosean

Quote from: memo on April 29, 2007, 06:33:33 AM
Post here if you want to contribute something to the NAM...
I never knew about this thread!

Project thread:
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=4777.msg154526#msg154526
Can be downloaded here:
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=4847.0
You can include it in NAM if you want... I'd rather see it in NAM than as a standalone but it works fine all by itself.
:)

SimsReporter

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on May 09, 2008, 06:04:11 AM

Diagonal/orthogonal slip lanes, SC3K style.

Remember how those sorts of intersections automatically created a slip lane in some situations? Well, this is done in SC4... and didn't take me long to do - dipping my toe in the RULs and all.

This would be awsome to have... :D :D
Come visit My (SLR) Project Thread. Located in the Nam Creations Forum.

Shadow Assassin

And here's the full set done. :P

Avenue/Avenue, Road/Road, Road/Ave, Ave/Road intersections are in there. :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

M4346

New Horizons Productions

Shadow Assassin

I'm working on the Euro textures right now.
New Horizons Productions
See my uploads on the LEX!

M4346

Dude, you are too fast for me :P
New Horizons Productions