• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM: Development

Started by memo, April 29, 2007, 06:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow Assassin

Part of the upcoming 7.5m content for Maxis-over-other-networks includes Maxis-over-RHW:

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

mike3775

ohhh I love those exit ramps

xannepan

Wow! I love the surprises you guys keep giving us!  &apls &apls &apls

noahclem

Awesome!!!!  &apls  And a perfectly-constructed interchange I may add  :thumbsup:

JoeST

Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

nathkel

My only criticism is that this and far too many other interchanges use a LOT of real estate. Too many times i hafta wipe out entire neighborhoods just to set up a simple but cramped ramp system for a new interchange in an already developed area. I hope the next version of NAM has smaller and more complete ramp curves to allow for new urban interchanges...

MandelSoft

Deal with it! Interchanges in real life are also big. In fact, the standard interchanges from the Maxis Highway are way to small (factor 2 to 4)
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

noahclem

Quote from: nathkel on March 09, 2012, 09:48:25 AM
My only criticism is that this and far too many other interchanges use a LOT of real estate. Too many times i hafta wipe out entire neighborhoods just to set up a simple but cramped ramp system for a new interchange in an already developed area. I hope the next version of NAM has smaller and more complete ramp curves to allow for new urban interchanges...
I think a lot of people have that reaction at first--if you're used to the Maxis interchanges, which as Maarten stated are very, very under-scaled, then RHW will seem very big. The reality though is that in real life when you try to send a freeway through an already developed area is does require a LOT of demolition--and that's why it doesn't really happen anymore. RHW is about realism and flexibility and realistic sized interchanges take up a lot of space. Don't resist it, embrace it  ;D

mike3775

Quote from: nathkel on March 09, 2012, 09:48:25 AM

When they add new interchanges to already existing highways, 90% of the time they already have development around.  Indiana recently added a new exit to crown point off of I-65, and that took up a lot of space for it.  They want to put another one in Merrillville just south of US-30 to try and funnel traffic off of US-30, but both roads that are proposed for a new interchange have development around them, thus need to be demolished(which the owners are fighting).

Also remember, most interstate highway off ramps are designed to keep the flow of traffic moving at speeds relative to the roads they leading to(unless they have stop signals at the end), and if going from interstate to interstate, they are designed to get the vehicle entering up to highway speed prior to merging onto the highway, something that cannot be done if they have a 90 degree turn on the off ramp(which they will use to slow down traffic in some parts)

Tarkus

I should add--going to a 7.5m (Level 1, or L1) setup like that is making it more compact.  There's not as much altitude gain involved, and thus, a small scale is achieved while maintaining realism.

There already are ways to make some pretty compact things with the RHW, and it'll get more so as we add more L1 content.

-Alex

j-dub

Regarding the space in terms of real world design, the only other option, if you don't want to knock residences down, (which IDK why this exists in my surroundings) is that side streets immediately are used as conjoining highway on and off ramps in front of people's houses. This brings all sorts of congestion into your neighborhood, and guarentees your street in front of your house is not a safe street no more, can't forget the truck traffic now, that will wear the street down a lot faster. I have noticed in terms of reality, that the wealth of the residences in one area can alter the outcome of certain road/highway proposals. I have seen a new highway knock out all the rural residence around it. The other issue is, if those ramps were closer though, it restricts the turn lane distance, and my real life also has those traffic nightmares, because the turn lane distance was too short.

Now if there is a criticism, mine will be that I have not seen this new setup in action, to see how vehicles behave on it, don't know if there will be a YT demo for that.

Wiimeiser

The Demolition aspect is why Melbourne's ring road still isn't finished. The original route would've cut right through "downtown" Greensborough and the current Bulleen link isn't really any better. It would honestly be cheaper to build through Kangaroo Ground and link it up to the Healesville Freeway at Coldstream. There would still need to be a tunnel here, (though the space above would suggest otherwise), It would, for the most part, follow the power lines. Where it crosses the main road at Kangaroo Ground is a small gully, which could be exploited for an interchange.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

figui

imo, the problem with interchanges in sc4+rhw is not the scale of them, but the fact that you have to fit it in a city tile, when sometimes one would prefer to split the interchange to build it just over the neighbor limit, which is not possible.

mauricio.
first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..
...i'm still the only one from Uruguay!

________

mike3775

Quote from: figui on March 11, 2012, 05:49:08 AM
imo, the problem with interchanges in sc4+rhw is not the scale of them, but the fact that you have to fit it in a city tile, when sometimes one would prefer to split the interchange to build it just over the neighbor limit, which is not possible.

mauricio.

There are neighbor connection mis connectors that you can use to build neighbor connections with to make interchanges go into other cities.  I one had a city where a cloverleaf was split between two cities and I didn't intend for it to happen that way, but the usage demanded an upgrade.

dragonshardz

I've finally returned after a long, long hiatus. Been hearing about "Monolithic NAM" and "Project 0E".

Can someone please tell me what these are, or where to go to find out more about them?

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: dragonshardz on May 31, 2012, 06:21:02 PM
I've finally returned after a long, long hiatus. Been hearing about "Monolithic NAM" and "Project 0E".

Monolithic NAM: Essentially the NAM and all of its plugins (RHW, NWM, SAM, etc) combined into one package. Will go into place starting with NAM 31.

Project 0E, renamed P57: Essentially reorganising and moving the RHW RUL scheme to be more organised, as well as adding additional stability. Also allows easy addition of more RHW heights; See the RHW Dev thread for more.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Shadow Assassin

After several months' hiatus, I've done more viaduct-related work.

MIS, 6C, 8S, 8C and 10S will come shortly.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Wiimeiser

That's what we need. And it shouldn't be hard to tweak the models to use OWR or Avenue
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

jdenm8

Maxis' offerings on the new SimCity bored me. So I did this.

Basses are much cooler than guitars.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

gn_leugim

Shadow: That is awesome news :D

jdenm8: Omg! that is just amazing :DD "rock an' roll babe!" :D