• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM: Development

Started by memo, April 29, 2007, 06:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j-dub

Quote from: MetarvoGreat job NAM Team!  You've earned four thumbs up (and I supposedly only have two)!
Yeah sure, uh-huh. All of SC4D knows how the two big guys up front can pop up alone without the others following after. (or what is known as toe thumb)
And thus is the reason why you have 4 thumbs up on your part! &dd

But I'm glad I got to hear such praise coming from you. The one thing I now hear in the backroom from them good ol' boys is: "dear princess celestia, today I learned why NAM originally did not have a release date"  ()what() I have no clue what to make of that statement, but my guess is the decission is final to no longer pick a due date anymore after this, which is why, it's So nice to hear such praise to the team about the good ol' 31st.

GDO29Anagram

I just wish I can get Camstudio to work for me again. The only issue is that I can't record sound at the moment, so instead, I tried a different recorder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TXByD0XOe8
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

j-dub

Here's the thing, Fraps is the only one it seems that everyone can confirm gets the sound, but it takes too much memory, the higher the quality, which is vital for the viewer reading what the user is reading when their playing SC4, IDK how these other guys do it, CS has been known about that sound thing.

After seeing some YT accounts starting to get content notices, since now EA added SC4 content to the YT detection library system, my personal attitude is maybe don't record sound, and especially maybe not even SC4's soundtrack now, so maybe just stick to what you know and continue use of Camstudio, and just audioswap for a soundtrack, or talk over the video?

MandelSoft

I use FFSplit to record my videos. FFSplit has the following very useful functions:
- Separate control over game volume and mic volume.
- Pretty fast and good compression. No lagging during recordings (that was different when using Fraps or Hypercam).
- Ability to only record a part of the screen.
- Ability to stream via Twitch.tv (but recording things to hard drive is also OK).
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Wiimeiser

Quote from: j-dub on March 07, 2013, 11:03:57 PM
After seeing some YT accounts starting to get content notices, since now EA added SC4 content to the YT detection library system, my personal attitude is maybe don't record sound, and especially maybe not even SC4's soundtrack now, so maybe just stick to what you know and continue use of Camstudio, and just audioswap for a soundtrack, or talk over the video?
They're trying to block all the previous Simcity games so everyone has to play the current disasterpiece? I swear, I can smell The Simpsons Game 2 coming from my studio...
If I had one...
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

metarvo

I'm pretty sure EA is afraid of the NAM and the NAM Team.  Although I never really wanted a release date, I think it was worth releasing it during SC2013's release and early days just to remind them that SimCity belongs to the players.  Without the players, games wouldn't sell and the developers would go out of business.  When I look at some of the positively dazzling content that has been released in the past few days (draggable FAR and WC sections, and MHW that actually resembles what it should have been in the beginning), I can see why they would be scared into trying to stop SC4 from being showcased.  What will this do to the MD's that use YT videos?
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Haljackey

Quote from: metarvo on March 08, 2013, 06:08:03 AM
I'm pretty sure EA is afraid of the NAM and the NAM Team.  Although I never really wanted a release date, I think it was worth releasing it during SC2013's release and early days just to remind them that SimCity belongs to the players.  Without the players, games wouldn't sell and the developers would go out of business.  When I look at some of the positively dazzling content that has been released in the past few days (draggable FAR and WC sections, and MHW that actually resembles what it should have been in the beginning), I can see why they would be scared into trying to stop SC4 from being showcased.  What will this do to the MD's that use YT videos?

Many developers have a huge amount of respect for the NAM. I had a chat with a lot of Maxis staff during SC13's development beta and they are extremely impressed with this mod (among others, like SimMars and SPAM). I recall after telling Ocean Quigley that I'm on the NAM Team, he wanted the team to weigh my transportation suggestions more heavily. He called the NAM Team "Freaking intimidating"  :D.

I use Xsplit, Fraps and Sony Vegas to do my video/streaming work.

j-dub

@Wiimeiser, IDK what EA was trying to say exactly with the last Simpson's game on the mainline consoles, during the level where you had to defeat "Will Wright" creator of "Sim Sandwich" which is a parady, because it looks like the SimCity 4 box, but in reality, that sandwich title in itself, EA holds the rights to, but they never took use to it. These day's it's just Spore, My Sims, the Sims, and SimCity, in the past you had other Sim TM'ed titles like Sim Ant or Sim Copter, but that was then, this is now. The only other reference about SimCity on the Simpsons was the use of T21 in that episode where the bots sacrifice themselves when Homer is crossing the road, but considering the circumstance, I guess this is popular enough to be reference to that show, but I still don't get the motive where you had to fight Will.

Nexis4Jersey

Quote from: j-dub on March 07, 2013, 11:03:57 PM
Here's the thing, Fraps is the only one it seems that everyone can confirm gets the sound, but it takes too much memory, the higher the quality, which is vital for the viewer reading what the user is reading when their playing SC4, IDK how these other guys do it, CS has been known about that sound thing.

There doing that to all the EA games , and I think its due to people remembering a time when EA actually made good games and choosing to stay away from the current crap they put out.

metarvo

I'm past the stage of test driving the new NAM and I've incorporated it into my normal Plugin folder in place of the old NAM.  It has dawned on me that the street lights on FAR segments of roads are separate from those on orthogonal and diagonal roads, as evidenced by using the USL.  FAR-2 and FAR-3 lights had the Maxis light cones, while ortho and diag §§ lights carried the USL cones that I had selected.

So, does this mean what I think it does?  In theory, could existing streetlight mods (Cogeo's mod, LRM, USL, etc.) or new mods include FAR lights to provide different light cones (or at least light cones matching ortho and diag lights for said mods) for those segments?  It looks promising.  ;D  Even if the answer is no, it's nice nonetheless to have the Maxis light cones reincorporated into a Plugins folder which might not use them otherwise.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

memo

The street lights used on FAR-2 and -3 are copies of the corresponding Maxis street light props. They have a new IID so as to avoid prop pox, because I had modded them in a way such that they can be flipped. This was not necessary for the flora, so the trees that appear are actually those of your tree replacement mod.

Since only draggable FAR makes use of these new props, it is indeed possible to replace them by ones that are specifically for FAR-2 and FAR-3. At least this would make sense for the lamp posts – not so much for the light cones.

Wiimeiser

Regarding Prop Pox, do you only need the affected prop in your plugins for it to occur or do you actually need to plop a lot into the city? And how are the folks at SimPeg handling it? Still same old same old?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

z

Quote from: Wiimeiser on March 10, 2013, 05:03:41 PM
Regarding Prop Pox, do you only need the affected prop in your plugins for it to occur or do you actually need to plop a lot into the city?

It has to be plopped in the city in at least one place.

QuoteAnd how are the folks at SimPeg handling it? Still same old same old?

I haven't heard anything new on this issue from them.  But that's just me.

dragonshardz

Quote from: z on March 10, 2013, 05:59:21 PM
Regarding Prop Pox, do you only need the affected prop in your plugins for it to occur or do you actually need to plop a lot into the city?

It has to be plopped in the city in at least one place.

QuoteAnd how are the folks at SimPeg handling it? Still same old same old?

I haven't heard anything new on this issue from them.  But that's just me.

IIRC Peg's stance that it's a conspiracy to discredit him and his refusal to do anything to fix it hasn't changed. What's more, I believe he's out of the modding scene entirely and just keeping the site running.

Diggis

Regarding Prop Pox, do you only need the affected prop in your plugins for it to occur or do you actually need to plop a lot into the city? And how are the folks at SimPeg handling it? Still same old same old?

The prop has to appear in your city and also be removed from your city at least once. The issue with the modded umbrella prop is that the prop is used on many of the default Maxis low wealth residential lots. These will have been grown early is a cities life and replaced early on in almost every city.  I think that is why it was the first (and only confirmed) prop to cause issues, because of it's heavy use by Maxis.

Theoretically, if you have a prop in the plugins right from the start of the city it shouldn't be an issue, but I'm not sure that's been confirmed.

Swordmaster

Happy draggable Easter everyone ;)

Cheers
Willy

GDO29Anagram

<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

MandelSoft

Nice work, Willy! Smooth curved streets will be very useful indeed.

As a matter of fact, it's also my 21st Birthday today
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

noahclem

Happy Easter to you too Willy! Outstanding work  &apls

Ganaram, you're far too funny :p

Happy birthday Maarten  :party:

gn_leugim

awesome XD  &apls &apls

happy Easter all of you :)