• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Railyard textures for the Real Railway

Started by eggman121, December 26, 2014, 10:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggman121

Rail yard textures for the Real Railway

I have started this thread to gauge the interest in making Real Railway (RRW) Rail yard textures that would be an alternative to using NCD's Rail yard textures which are based on the MAXIS rail. This set would look RRW like and would give lot creators an option to make RRW compatible rail yards and hopefully pick up the use of the RRW.

Here are some preliminary images of track switches I have made...

Double Crossover Switch

DTR to Railyard Turnout

Rail Yard

Now this is only the beginning. I am primarily starting this thread to get ideas for track that can be included into the texture pack.

So... what type of track would you like in this texture pack? I'm interested in the opinions of lot creators and others since you will be lotting and using the new texture pack respectively for your purposes.

I am happy to hear any thoughts about this project.

-eggman121

Girafe

I would like to finish this with the new RRW textures

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

mgb204

I have thought about doing this myself, currently the lack of such a pack is a large part of the reason why I'm still using an older Rail Style. In an ideal world, an override set with the same pieces and IID's of the original packs (so that old lots would just show the new RRW if the mod was installed) would be the best way of doing this. However, I'm not sure how possible that would be with the differing track geometry in terms of ensuring such lots would still look right with wagons and trains etc.

eggman121

Quote from: Girafe on December 26, 2014, 11:26:21 PM
I would like to finish this with the new RRW textures

Something like this  ;D

Quote from: mgb204 on December 26, 2014, 11:56:26 PM
I have thought about doing this myself, currently the lack of such a pack is a large part of the reason why I'm still using an older Rail Style. In an ideal world, an override set with the same pieces and IID's of the original packs (so that old lots would just show the new RRW if the mod was installed) would be the best way of doing this. However, I'm not sure how possible that would be with the differing track geometry in terms of ensuring such lots would still look right with wagons and trains etc.

Making a pack to override NCD's textures is not something I am looking to do at this stage. The new pack that I am making would be an alternative set. While it is possible to make an overriding set it would be more troublesome than its worth. I don't even know if I'm even allowed to use NCD's texture range (I'm going to play it safe and assume not). So new lots would have to be made. At this stage I am just gathering ideas and making the applicable track. I do however plan to make alternatives for most of the textures that NCD made.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. It is looking like that I should be able to make the applicable textures not before too long depending on my RL schedule.

-eggman121

Glazert

I would certainly welcome Real Railway railyard textures. In addition to major railyards it would enable the construction of smaller sets of sidings, which are much more common. I would be in favour of a component system rather than massive preconstructed yards. I have to confess that I have not calculated how many different components might be necessary, allowing for flipping and mirroring textures.

eggman121

Quote from: Glazert on December 27, 2014, 01:52:50 AM
I would certainly welcome Real Railway railyard textures. In addition to major railyards it would enable the construction of smaller sets of sidings, which are much more common. I would be in favour of a component system rather than massive preconstructed yards. I have to confess that I have not calculated how many different components might be necessary, allowing for flipping and mirroring textures.

All the textures will be modular  ;) . The images that I am posting are just overviews. I will try to arrange the texture IIDs as such as that they correspond to a certain group of textures.

So don't worry. Weather you want either a small siding or a large Railyard, my hope is to make them all possible.

-eggman121

Girafe

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

FrankU

Oh yes, certainly!
I don't have an overview of what is needed for a good railyard, but I suppose others can give info on that. Anyway: the textures are great and so I am glad that you are going to expand the set with several new textures for different configurations.  &apls

Simcoug

Yes! Yes! Yes!  I'll contribute some idea when I have a bit more time  :thumbsup:

carlfatal

Hi eggman!
First thing I have to say is: I very appreciate your work on a texture set for railyards. I tried it by myself, but making textures needs passion I don´t have.  &apls

I did some lotting with NCD´s sets earlier, and I think, I can give some good advices, what would be needed. There are differences between European and US-American railyards, and NCD´s sets were made for US American railways only. If you want, I can send you some drawings, what I mean. If your set will be complete (not like the never finished NCD textures), then I would be very interested to make lots with it.  ()stsfd()
Especially I would prefer overlays instead of base textures, then a set also wouldn´t need that many different parts and combining would be easier.

But enough for now, only a big thank you for this absolute hard but stunning work you do!

carlfatal

Quote from: carlfatal on December 28, 2014, 06:06:49 AM
...I can give some good advices...

Sorry, meant "suggestions" instead of "advice", as I am a totally rail nerd and a humble English speaker...  ;)

I have one question: Do you have any textures for lotting purposes? I would like to try to build stations and spur lines with the new ones. Currently I am still playing with the old ones, but as soon as your draggable RRW will be published it would be nice to have some lots also.

Thanks in advance...

noahclem

RRW railyard textures would be most welcome and these look great  &apls

Are you planning on 3 rails per tile or 4? RRW geometry seems to favor 3 but I'm not too sure. There's definitely no obstacle to you making overrides of existing textures. I've been making them here and there, mainly just when Arthur has ones he needs for a station bat. I think a whole new set would be ideal but it'd definitely be useful to have replacement ones as well. It would be tricky to do highly modular yards as opposed to larger prefab ones given the limitations with adjacent te lots.

eggman121

Quote from: noahclem on August 29, 2015, 12:37:39 PM
RRW railyard textures would be most welcome and these look great  &apls

Are you planning on 3 rails per tile or 4? RRW geometry seems to favor 3 but I'm not too sure. There's definitely no obstacle to you making overrides of existing textures. I've been making them here and there, mainly just when Arthur has ones he needs for a station bat. I think a whole new set would be ideal but it'd definitely be useful to have replacement ones as well. It would be tricky to do highly modular yards as opposed to larger prefab ones given the limitations with adjacent te lots.

Thanks for the feedback Noah  :thumbsup:

I will be putting four tracks max onto a single tile. I have decided to update NCD's Texture pack to RRW specification to make the current lots compatible with the RRW.

Yes three tracks would be sensible but If a wider Gauge was able to be used on a single tile than four track would also suffice.

Sorry about the long inactive time on this thread  &mmm

I have been busy in both RL and on other projects.

-eggman121

Indiana Joe

That's fantastic if you want to update NCD's pack eggman!  There's way too many textures in that thing, I don't want to touch it with a ten foot pole.

I understand why many people want the automatic conversion; so many lots already use those textures.  Willy and I were working to develop some new rail hump yards based on real life designs and specs, here's what those are gonna look like:

Simcoug

Those look awesome Indiana Joe!  Are they overlay textures?  I'd love to play around with those  :thumbsup:

vortext

Look amazing indeed. Also great news NCD's textures will be updated!  &apls
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Vizoria

<Clean up in Aisle 3>

Seriously, those rail tracks are amazing!

JoeST

I concur with the above, serious wows @ those textures :o

(though imo the repetition with that imperfection between the double y is maybe distracting?)
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Girafe

Amazing job  ;)

I agree with Joest regarding the repetition of imperfection
The Floraler

c.p.