• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Meinhosen's Automata Shop

Started by meinhosen, January 24, 2007, 06:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow Assassin

You're doing a good job here.

Can I suggest, however, that you make the automata generating lots have "no wealth level" (I think it's 0x00 in Wealth Level)? I don't like the appearance of the R$$$ texture, IMO, and it'd be better.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Yoman

;D Your doing just what I need, Traffic Gen lots in street, and you even used the pavement textures and not the stupid white maxis one? Your a saint!

Frankie

I'm curious to know if the same concept applied to traffic generating lots can work for trains also? And if it is indeed possible, could it possibly be controlled? For example, having 2 or 3 separate rail traffic generating lots that generate specific automa; 1 maybe for a shortline railroad, and when plopped next to a rail line (or on it) it would spawn a shortline company with only a few rail cars to simulate such operations. Then you have a coupe more tiles that spawn class 1 railroad companies, allowing you to realistically recreate different rail companies in your cities. If it is possible, I would definitely be willing to help (BAT, modding, whatever it takes). I believe it is quite a fine idea if it is possible.

Just thought i would share that idea, amongst your excellent work so far on this thread  :thumbsup:

meinhosen

Quote from: Frankie
I'm curious to know if the same concept applied to traffic generating lots can work for trains also?

Yes, it is very possible.  I've been experimenting with just such a concept (and it's worked like a champ). 

To answer your question with a bit of depth, in 2006 cogeo released a series of warehouse lots that contained a freight train/truck generator (made, of course, by Swamper).  I copied Swamper's file and used the ID for the generator on several other RR lots.  It does indeed work to generate rail traffic.

And if it is indeed possible, could it possibly be controlled? For example, having 2 or 3 separate rail traffic generating lots that generate specific automa; 1 maybe for a shortline railroad, and when plopped next to a rail line (or on it) it would spawn a shortline company with only a few rail cars to simulate such operations. Then you have a coupe more tiles that spawn class 1 railroad companies, allowing you to realistically recreate different rail companies in your cities.

Could it be controlled?  I haven't found a way to do this yet, save having separate folders that can be swapped in and out of a plugins folder prior to starting SC4.   But, now that you mention it, it might be possible to do some scripting within the game and identify certain engines/RR companies with specific occupant groups, and then create a spawn script for those particular groups.  This would be similar to the Euro Vehicles/Euro traffic generator that Mikeseith made.  I'm not sure about train length- as far as I know there's only a global controller for train length.  But, when you think about it, a train with 16-25 cars is pretty long in-game and should work well for both American Class 1's as well as short-lines.

If it is possible, I would definitely be willing to help (BAT, modding, whatever it takes). I believe it is quite a fine idea if it is possible.

This shouldn't be too hard, but it's going to require a lot of modding.  Give me some time to see if I can play around with it.

If you're still interested, I can post a zip file of what I've done so you can play with a freight train generator.
You're telling me I get to be home for more than 12 months?

Frankie

Quote from: meinhosen on April 29, 2007, 11:25:09 AM
I'm not sure about train length- as far as I know there's only a global controller for train length.  But, when you think about it, a train with 16-25 cars is pretty long in-game and should work well for both American Class 1's as well as short-lines.

This shouldn't be too hard, but it's going to require a lot of modding.  Give me some time to see if I can play around with it.

If you're still interested, I can post a zip file of what I've done so you can play with a freight train generator.

Train length can be modded, it's part of the NAM automa dat (I think) I once tampered with it, but I got no where..I have absolutely no modding skills..I have tried..but it just makes no sense to me most of the time. But, I am definitely interested in this project, and would even like to help to the best of my ability. I wanted to re-skin the BNSF locomotive by I-photon (my favorite locomotive replacement) with Norfolk Southern textures...and the GP38-2 with a shortline railroad skin. (of G&O railways, a large group of shortlines located in several deep south states, and beyond). Further, I was going to take the Burlington Northern covered hopper and change it to a grey, privately owned hopper car, you know, just little things like that. I'm going to experiment some more and figure this modding thing out, in the meantime I wish you luck with your part  :thumbsup:

EDIT: here's what i was talking about:

and the shortline:

meinhosen

Ah, reskinning automata... I can do that.  I've been trying to re-skin i-photon's engine for a while... NS is one of the names on my To-Do list.

If you want a G&O GP-38, give me a few days to get some concept pics and then post it up here.

meinhosen

Just to prove that I'm still *somewhat* active in this, here's something I've been working on over the past few days:

A Chicago & Northwestern RR locomotive... again using one of Trolca's models as a base.  The paint needs just a bit of tweaking and then it'll be posted up here (and possibly on ST also).

Also keep your eyes open for an updated version of the traffic generating lots... I know that Badsim has a Euro version out, and I'll have an American version out soon. 

Thanks for your interest.

threestooges

I just stumbled across this. Excellently done. I will certainly be looking forward to the train generator lot. Please, keep us apprised of new developments.

SC4BOY

C&N unit looks great and out of the "routine"..

WRT the trackchecker, I have seen that done once to look like a truck (HERE Reply #386 by Swamper77)with "dropdown" rail wheels.. not an uncommon item in the USA.. the rubber wheels actually drive the unit via friction but it is guided by the 4 flanged wheels..

Wrt Cogeo's pics, I  LOVE this one.. would be fantastic trackchecker.. absolutely stunning.. but I expect impossible due to the little "trailer cars"  *sigh* I don't think you'd ever see anything like that in the USA, as the modern ones are custom made and multifuntional.. still.. hehe

First time I've seen this thread.. love your work

MandelSoft

Please, don't bump old threads. This one is over two years old, so don't expect anything soon.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

JLA123

Are these available in the LEX?