• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

2 Lane roads connecting to Avenue

Started by ulp2.0m3600, April 01, 2021, 06:34:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulp2.0m3600

Hey peeps long time user first time member....  ,  I am having an issue.

I just re-installed the game and I am wanting to connect a 2 lane road to an avenue.  But I only want
to connect it from one side and not a thur intersection.   I have done this before in the past.  But
I can not remember how to fix this and not having any luck with google searches.

Does anyone know a fix or mod for this ?

Thanks,

jeffryfisher

If your road doesn't carry much traffic, then you might try transitioning down to a street just before connecting to the avenue (or vice versa, pull a street one cell out of the side of the avenue and then drag the road from that cell). Try a couple permutations and see if you can get what you want.
Modding PC games since 1993 (back when we needed hex-editors)

ulp2.0m3600

Quote from: jeffryfisher on April 01, 2021, 09:30:59 AM
If your road doesn't carry much traffic, then you might try transitioning down to a street just before connecting to the avenue (or vice versa, pull a street one cell out of the side of the avenue and then drag the road from that cell). Try a couple permutations and see if you can get what you want.

Thanks for responding,  But that is not really want I want. 

I am looking for this :

<<<<<<  AV <<<<<<<                   
<<<<<<  AV <<<<<<<

>>>>>> AV >>>>>>>>
>>>>>> AV >>>>>>>>
                        ^
                        ^
                        ^
                       2 lane RD

But this is what is happening :

<<<<<<  AV <  ^   <<<<<
<<<<<<  AV <  ^   <<<<
                          ^
>>>>>> AV >>  ^  >>>>>
>>>>>> AV >>  ^  >>>>>
                          ^
                          ^
                        2 Lane RD

Right now what I am doing instead of using an avenue is just
doing a one way road for each side. 

If you have a large city having connecting a intersection to both sides
with traffic lights would cause a huge traffic problem every few feet.

If you see where I am going.   Besides it looks better and more clean.

Tarkus

It's a little difficult to tell from your descriptions as to just what you're describing, but I'm guessing off the diagram that this is what you're trying to build?

If that's the case, that's simply a matter of just not dragging the Road all the way through the Avenue on each side.  Note, however, if you're trying to do that with the Street network instead of Road, the Street network's hardcoded "auto-connect" behavior kicks in, and forces the Street to cross through the Avenue.  We presently have no way of fixing that with the Street network, unfortunately.

-Alex

ulp2.0m3600

Quote from: Tarkus on April 02, 2021, 03:37:54 AM
It's a little difficult to tell from your descriptions as to just what you're describing, but I'm guessing off the diagram that this is what you're trying to build?

If that's the case, that's simply a matter of just not dragging the Road all the way through the Avenue on each side.  Note, however, if you're trying to do that with the Street network instead of Road, the Street network's hardcoded "auto-connect" behavior kicks in, and forces the Street to cross through the Avenue.  We presently have no way of fixing that with the Street network, unfortunately.

-Alex

Yes !,  That is exactly what I am trying to do.  But as you said the auto connect feature to both sides is kicking in.
I somehow was able to disable that in the past but can not remember how I did it. 

Tarkus

If you're using Road, there shouldn't be any auto-connect--at least not with the NAM installed.  It's unavoidable with Street (and also unavoidable with the RHW, which also has the dreaded auto-connect), and you'd have to convert to Road before intersecting the Avenue.

-Alex

ulp2.0m3600

Ya I am not sure what is going on.  Confusing me

Wiimeiser

If you have some extra space you could try using the slip lane method. That should do it.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

ulp2.0m3600

Thanks for the responses...

I have decided just to go with the one way roads.  I make them like an avenue.

I wonder if this is actually better ?

pieman102

I honestly have the same problem. Make creating sliplanes a chore. Ironically, its the street that doesn't auto connect to both sides of the avenue. The road does.

Tarkus

That's really, really strange.  Only thing I can think of is that you have something ancient hiding in your Plugins that's overriding some part of the NAM Controller.  Try it with a clean Plugins folder, and then after adding NAM 40 into that clean Plugins folder.

Also, check the version number on your SimCity 4.exe file.  It'd be helpful to where you got your copy of SC4: GOG, Steam, Origin, off the original discs, or somewhere else?

-Alex

pieman102

Quote from: Tarkus on April 08, 2021, 12:47:50 AM
That's really, really strange.  Only thing I can think of is that you have something ancient hiding in your Plugins that's overriding some part of the NAM Controller.  Try it with a clean Plugins folder, and then after adding NAM 40 into that clean Plugins folder.

Also, check the version number on your SimCity 4.exe file.  It'd be helpful to where you got your copy of SC4: GOG, Steam, Origin, off the original discs, or somewhere else?

-Alex

I play on a Mac so there isn't an exe file as far as Im concerned. I play Simcity 4 on steam. Honestly I don't know if I want to fix the issue. There are some spots in my cities where a street connects to only one half of an avenue and I cant really it go through all the way because of a nearby flexpiece for example. Either way, I just find it interesting that the streets and roads have been the other way around for me, at least with avenues.