• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

memo

You need the following files in your plugins folder:

(1) Roundabouts/NetworkAddonMod_Roundabouts_Roads_Plugin.dat
(2) Roundabouts/NetworkAddonMod_Roundabouts_Streets_Plugin.dat

If you have installed draggable FAR, you also need these:

(3) Roundabouts/NetworkAddonMod_Roundabouts_Roads_x_draggable_FANs.dat
(4) Roundabouts/NetworkAddonMod_Roundabouts_Streets_x_draggable_FANs.dat

If the roundabouts don't work, it means that either these files are not present, or they are not loaded in correct order. For example the file containing draggable FAR must load before files 3 and 4. Files 1 and 2 also need to load before 3 and 4 respectively. Normally, the installer installs these files such they are loaded in proper order – only if you are running the game on Linux or more specifically on a non-NTFS filesystem, you are usually going to experience these issues, as other filesystems store files in random order instead of alphabetical order.

Frolius666

Quote from: memo on November 09, 2014, 07:05:50 AM
only if you are running the game on Linux or more specifically on a non-NTFS filesystem, you are usually going to experience these issues, as other filesystems store files in random order instead of alphabetical order.

Ahaa... a direction to follow... I am running the game on Linux.
Been playing on Linux for a few years now, but I recently changed PC, installed the latest Mint, latest Wine, and most importantly the latest NAM.
I checked my old PC and there I still have V30 installed, which has different file naming.
This said... I didn't want to reformat my drive to NTFS right away, so I tried some things...
Since I didn't experience any similar problems before with mods that need to load in Z-folders, I started by moving the roundabout folder into the z__NAM folder. Succes!! Roundabouts displayed correctly...
Next I moved the roundabouts back to the main NAM folder and renamed it "zRoundabouts" to be the last to load in the main folder. No more roundabouts in my city...
Then I created a folder "P" in my plugins folder and moved the roundabouts there (between the main NAM and z__NAM). Roundabouts are back...
So it is definitely the loading order that is causing this behaviour.
And although I can now get my roundabouts to display correctly, I would like to know a bit more about game loading order and do some tests, might be valuable info for my fellow Linux users.
Can anybody point me in the right direction?

memo

You can find more information on this in this topic, including a possible solution.

Another workaround is to datpack the NAM folders into a single dat file (using either JDatPacker or Sc4DatPacker). They will pack the files such that they are loaded like on an NTFS system*. But you might still run into issues if you have other mods that depend on a specific order, as modders usually assume an NTFS system.

*On an NTFS system, files are loaded in alphabetical order as determined by the ASCII codes. However, since NTFS is case-insensitive, the order corresponds to the upper-cased versions of the file names. On HFS+ (Mac), the opposite is the case: it is case-insensitive, too, but the order corresponds to the lower-cased names. This distinction is important for names containing the underscore character which is located between the upper-case and lower-case letters in the ASCII table. Linux systems are usually case-sensitive and random order.

Edit: By the way, I suspect that the "-f" option of the "ls" command lists the files in the order they are loaded by the game.

Frolius666

To keep everyone informed, to warn about a potential pitfall, and most of all to shake the tree and see if an occasional apple would fall... here are my findings till now on the "NAM on Linux" issue posted above.
Should such apple happen to fall, this story might be better of in a Linux thread, as this is not really something caused by the NAM.

FYI: I'm running SC4 DE on the current Linux Mint with the current Wine. My plugins folder sits (or sat) on a Ext4 formatted HDD.

I went through the thread Memo gave me, it describes a similar situation with a link to a Linux script at the bottom.
This script however doesn't work on ext4 drives, which is normal because ext4 doesn't keep an alphabetical file list.
I checked with "ls -f" command (which does indeed list files in loading order)
A few hours on the internet thought me that, if something similar to this script exists for ext4; it is very very hard to find.

Alafel told me the script worked on his NTFS drive... soooo
Sometimes you have to make those decisions...  &mmm
Backup... reformat to NTFS... configure...
Put back my plugins... ls -f... still random.
Ran the script and bingo... almost...
Plugins are in alphabetical order, but starting from H to Z, then A to G. Very strange...

Did several tests on that, could get it to start at M too, don't know why...
Then I got the idea of testing with a "maiden" folder structure, born on NTFS.
Made folders A to Z and tried the same as before.
Always perfectly alphabetical A-Z...
So I started renaming those new folders and dragged my plugins in. (I kept the subfolders).
This went OK until I got to M, which all of a sudden wanted to be on top again, script or no script (why not B...)
I accidentally dropped an original "J" in which I corrected but could have triggered it.

At this point I started testing with the very usefull Red-Blue test files from Jondor found here: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=10542.msg414566#msg414566
This to confirm ls -f really did list in loading order and I wasn't chasing ghosts... confirmed... unfortunately... the red "M" loaded before the blue "A" resulting in a blue square.
The best explanation for this strange sorting behaviour I could think of is that there might be some residual ext4 data in the folders which is recognized by Linux that causes this.

Finally I started back from the maiden A-Z folder structure but kept this and dragged my plugins in the subsequent folder.
This time the folder structure stayed as it was, game loads and runs as it should, roundabouts and all...
Requires a bit more maintenance when using installers, but it's manageable.
Until above mentioned apple appears this is the best working solution I could come up with.

Current conclusion:
I you run the game on Linux, keep your plugins on a NTFS disk and preferably start out this way.

Big thanks to everyone who helped me find the pieces of this puzzle... I hope the above is useful for somebody...

memo

Thanks for posting this information here. +1 :thumbsup:

I have linked it in the other thread and asked for it to be stickied.

alexandriadna

Hi!, recientemente instale el nam32 y al primer reinicio de windows no pude cambiar la resolucion de pantalla ni cambiar la profundidad de color.(solo 400x600 4bits)
ya reinstale los drivers de video
formatee la maquina y reinstale windows, sc4 y nam32, luego del primer reinicio !volvio a pasar lo mismo!
datos: win xp sp3
asus eepc 1005hab
intel 950 video onboard 240mb
1gb ram, prosesador intel atom270
vercion GOG del sim city4 deluxe 1.1.641.0
()sad()

Hi !, recently nam32 install and first reboot windows could not change the screen resolution or color depth change. (Only 400x600 4bits)
and reinstall the video drivers
i format the machine and reinstall windows, nam32 and sc4 and after the first reboot! the same thing happened again!
data: win xp sp3
EEPC asus 1005HAB
onboard intel 950 240MB video
1gb ram,
intel prosesador atom270
GOG vercion sim city 4  deluxe 1.1.641.0

logue256

Hello,

I am using the NAM32.1 in right-hand drive mode.

However, depending on the type of street, and it will make the crossings can not even pass through the train cars.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8ptb6ujuw24jcw/nam_in_right_handle.png?dl=0

mgb204

Quote from: belfastsocrates on October 24, 2014, 04:18:56 AM
Would anyone know why the intersection when a road meets this particular SAM texture results in a blank space? When you drag a road to this SAM texture to create a T-Junction it highlights as a dark brown tile and no junction is created.

If I continue the road and make a crossroad junction it appears as normal.

As it happens I also have the same problem, so I really do think this one might be a bug somewhere. I'm using a LHD setup, as is Belfastsocrates I think too, perhaps it's related to this?

Quickly checking the Textures "z3_MRTNRLN_EuroTextures_SAM7.dat" I can see that the textures exist, assuming the range 0x5E5517x0 (Where x is 0-3 for wealth) is correct then the textures are not the problem here. Oddly, each of the FSH files for this texture is duplicated within the file, although both textures differ slightly, however, as one would just overwrite the other anyhow this can't be the issue either I guess.

memo

Quote from: mgb204 on November 14, 2014, 09:06:35 AM
Quote from: belfastsocrates on October 24, 2014, 04:18:56 AM
Would anyone know why the intersection when a road meets this particular SAM texture results in a blank space? When you drag a road to this SAM texture to create a T-Junction it highlights as a dark brown tile and no junction is created.

If I continue the road and make a crossroad junction it appears as normal.

As it happens I also have the same problem, so I really do think this one might be a bug somewhere. I'm using a LHD setup, as is Belfastsocrates I think too, perhaps it's related to this?

Quickly checking the Textures "z3_MRTNRLN_EuroTextures_SAM7.dat" I can see that the textures exist, assuming the range 0x5E5517x0 (Where x is 0-3 for wealth) is correct then the textures are not the problem here. Oddly, each of the FSH files for this texture is duplicated within the file, although both textures differ slightly, however, as one would just overwrite the other anyhow this can't be the issue either I guess.

I can't explain this. I had checked the affected intersection in my game and it works for me (in RHT to be exact). The duplicate texture had also been fixed already in our NAM repository, but as you correctly assumed that should not be the issue here.

However, it is the only striking anomaly with that tile. I can only assume that the problem is that one set of FSHs is compressed and the other is not, so the TGIs are listed in the Directory file, but the game fails to decompress the FSH files (which are in fact uncompressed). You could try to delete either set of duplicate textures and save the file and see if that helps.

Edit:
Quote from: logue256 on November 14, 2014, 08:08:54 AM
I am using the NAM32.1 in right-hand drive mode.

However, depending on the type of street, and it will make the crossings can not even pass through the train cars.

The screenshot shows your game is LHT. The NAM does not change driving-side, but you have to choose the appropriate driving-side of your game, which in your case is LHT.

In LHT, the SAM x Rail paths files are indeed missing, which I have just fixed in our database. In can't see the problem with the OWRs, though.

alexandriadna

Hi!, recientemente instale el nam32 y al primer reinicio de windows no pude cambiar la resolucion de pantalla ni cambiar la profundidad de color.(solo 400x600 4bits)
ya reinstale los drivers de video
formatee la maquina y reinstale windows, sc4 y nam32, luego del primer reinicio !volvio a pasar lo mismo!
datos: win xp sp3
asus eepc 1005hab
intel 950 video onboard 240mb
1gb ram, prosesador intel atom270
vercion GOG del sim city4 deluxe 1.1.641.0
()sad()

Hi !, recently nam32 install and first reboot windows could not change the screen resolution or color depth change. (Only 400x600 4bits)
i format the machine and reinstall windows, nam32 and sc4 and after the first reboot! the same thing happened again!
EEPC asus 1005HAB
1gb ram,
intel prosesador atom270
'''''''''''''''''''''''
i try to restore the sistem and no solve the problem, i think is somethimg during the instalation of nam with some file sistem.....

Tarkus

Quote from: alexandriadna on November 13, 2014, 12:47:20 AM
EEPC asus 1005HAB
1gb ram,
intel prosesador atom270

It sounds like you have the optional boot.ini modification for use on 32-bit systems, which, given that you only have 1GB of RAM, would prove very problematic.  See my post at ST here, which responded to a similar issue.

-Alex

alexandriadna

Quote from: Tarkus on November 14, 2014, 12:06:31 PM
Quote from: alexandriadna on November 13, 2014, 12:47:20 AM
EEPC asus 1005HAB
1gb ram,
intel prosesador atom270

It sounds like you have the optional boot.ini modification for use on 32-bit systems, which, given that you only have 1GB of RAM, would prove very problematic.  See my post at ST here, which responded to a similar issue.

-Alex

TANK YOU! Alex i solve the problem and im hapy! &apls :bnn:

mgb204

Quote from: memo on November 14, 2014, 10:41:41 AM
I can't explain this. I had checked the affected intersection in my game and it works for me (in RHT to be exact). The duplicate texture had also been fixed already in our NAM repository, but as you correctly assumed that should not be the issue here.

However, it is the only striking anomaly with that tile. I can only assume that the problem is that one set of FSHs is compressed and the other is not, so the TGIs are listed in the Directory file, but the game fails to decompress the FSH files (which are in fact uncompressed). You could try to delete either set of duplicate textures and save the file and see if that helps.

I guess it's looking for the compressed FSHs, I removed the uncompressed ones and now everything is fine. I didn't try the other set since the compressed files have what I believe are the "newer" of the two textures. Thanks for your you help Memo  :thumbsup:.

newsimaddict

Hi there,
I have 3 current issues/don't know how re: NAM and would love some help please?

LHD - I have changed the registry as well as ensuring that NAM is installed LHD as well (checked in plugin folders) but the intersections still show the traffic lights in RHD. I have double checked the drawpaths and played the region and cars definitely drive on the left. What file do I to double check to put the traffic lights back in their normal position?

Draggable FAR - Possibly an easy solution that I might know...I'll recheck the NAM installation as I assume I didn't select it when installing NAM32. Can someone please confirm?

FAR Intersection - Is it possible to use the type 220 on one side (half the intersection) and ONLY the intersection on the other side? Essentially a highway exit ramp that finishes in a T. I can't upload pics as the game is at home but I hope I have explained clearly.

Thanks
-newsimaddict

Tarkus

Quote from: newsimaddict on November 16, 2014, 04:35:36 PM
LHD - I have changed the registry as well as ensuring that NAM is installed LHD as well (checked in plugin folders) but the intersections still show the traffic lights in RHD. I have double checked the drawpaths and played the region and cars definitely drive on the left. What file do I to double check to put the traffic lights back in their normal position?

The NAM doesn't change the side of the traffic signals in LHD.  Maxis never did, either.  If you want the signals flipped, you'll have to use an alternate set like MandelSoft's Stoplight Replacement Mod (SRM), which is over at ST.

Draggable FAR - Possibly an easy solution that I might know...I'll recheck the NAM installation as I assume I didn't select it when installing NAM32. Can someone please confirm?

It's checked by default in all installation types except for "Traffic Simulator Only", so unless you unchecked it in a Custom Installation, you should have it.  You'll just need to use the patterns outlined in the Users Guide to build the FAR.

FAR Intersection - Is it possible to use the type 220 on one side (half the intersection) and ONLY the intersection on the other side? Essentially a highway exit ramp that finishes in a T. I can't upload pics as the game is at home but I hope I have explained clearly.

Flipping through the pieces, it doesn't appear that is the case.  I know the future of that functionality is in kind of an odd state right now with our implementation changes, so I don't know that the puzzle piece would be made.

-Alex

wurze

Hello Folks

Not strictly a problem with the operation of the nam, so I hope this is the right place.

I'm having a bit of an issue with a couple of the files included in the installation of the latest nam.  I have being trying to empty my plugins folder, all straightforward enough except that the nam folder refuses to budge. I think that the problem is with two files which are meant to be shortcuts to the SC4d and Simtropolis web sites. however the url's are missing so as short cuts they don't work.  No worries I'll delete them I thought, the problem is I can't delete them, take ownership of them or do anything at all with them and I think that is what is responsible for preventing me moving the nam folder, moving or even renaming the Plugins folder. Does anyone have any idea how to get rid of them?  Not a major problem I know, but it's driving me dotty so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Chris.

mgb204

Well I would think somewhere you have a rights issue, newer versions of Windows can be a pig with this depending on how they are set up. Firstly make absolutely sure you are logged into Windows with Administrator access, you should be able to take ownership of the files so long as you have admin rights.

For some files I've found particularity hard to take ownership of I've used this utility with success in the past.

If that doesn't work, do a reboot and before anything else in Windows try to take ownership/delete these files, it's also possible some other program is using them preventing the system from moving/deleting them, if this was occurring from a fresh boot, you could try booting in diagnostic startup mode (this loads Windows with a minimum set of processes for troubleshooting). To activate it press the Windows Key & R at the same time, then type MSCONFIG into the box that appears and click OK, when it loads, Diagnostic Mode is the middle option. Don't forget to change this back after you've finished with it so Windows boots normally again though.

jdenm8

You can also mass-force ownership using PowerShell (I don't know if an equivalent command or Executable exists in CMD), but it requires you to have downloaded PowerShell and to know how to use it.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

wurze

A big thank you to jdenm8 and  mgb204 for your advice.
Because the offending files were Internet shortcuts the context menu approach didn't work. However a simple re-boot was all that was needed, after the reboot what I suspect were corrupted versions of the shortcut files mysteriously disappeared and everything now seems to work fine. I would not have had a clue with powershell so I'm glad I didn't need to go down that route but thanks anyway.
So once again thanks for your help.   &apls

Thanks
Chris.

jdenm8

Quote from: wurze on November 21, 2014, 08:48:49 AM
However a simple re-boot was all that was needed

Ah. PowerShell wouldn't have fixed these anyway, they're ghost files. As far as Windows knows, they're files that still exist on the HDD (Technically they do, they're just marked for deletion) but when it tries to delete them, it can't and assumes it's a permissions problem.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley