• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freedo50

Err bat, I hate to say it, but your post counter shows 1987  &mmm

Fred

dedgren

This, of course, can only mean one thing...

There's a "00" honors ceremony coming up.

See you there.

Oh, and I've added, in my ongoing work on the 3RR Gazetteer [linkie], the following new entry.

• Mount Steffen (Mountain - SE Quad DeLong Twp - lat. ___° ___' ___" N / lon. ___° ___' ___" - elev. ___ ft/___ m amsl.)  Mount Steffen is one of the major landforms in the DeLong Mountains.  It is named for local landowner and 3RR's first dentist D. T. Steffen, who was actually not the man he appeared.  Steffen practiced from the same small offices in Pineshore from the early 1900s until shortly before his death in 1972, developing a clientele that not only came from every corner of the region but from as far away as Winnepeg and Duluth.  Beloved by his patients and colleagues alike, many were quite amused to learn in the late 1990s that "D. T." Steffen was actually his brother Ulysses, who had no dental training at all.  As it turns out, Ulysses was a Texas Ranger until the day he learned of the untimely death of his brother, the real D. T., who passed away in Superior, Wisconsin while enroute to setting up his practice in Pineshore.  D. T. had just received his diploma, in those days before accreditation, following six months of study at the Southeastern Ohio College of Dentistry and Mortuary Sciences.  Without a second look, Ulysses left his horse, badge and six-shooter, caught the first train north, arrived in Superior long enough to bury his brother, pick up D. T.'s diploma, bag of dental tools, and ticket to Pineshore.  He never looked back, and the only reason the true story ever came to light was that Steffen himself left a letter telling the story in a Pineshore safe deposit box with instructions that it would only be opened and read 25 years after his death.

I note in passing that, while nothing you see here in 3RR is necessarily true, the truth is often stranger than fiction.

Later.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

bat

Quote from: freedo50 on July 20, 2007, 06:28:20 AM
Err bat, I hate to say it, but your post counter shows 1987  &mmm

Fred

I have noticed that, but at midday (GMT +1) I posted the 2000th post and at afternoon it says only 1987...
I don't know why my total posts decreased.

thundercrack83

Well, I can't wait to see Emil's Yards! I can only imagine how grand of a seaport and waterfront area it will be! Congratulations, emilin!

And those dental tools look pretty scary, there, David! I don't like the tools the dentists use now, let alone those! Great addition to the Gazetteer, my friend! I'll be looking forward to seeing more!

dedgren

One of 3RR's longest and best friends flew by yesterday...

...bat thought he'd made his 2,000th post here-

...it only turned out to be his 1,987th...

Well, I can't say he's been with us since day one, either...

...it was day five, and that's close enough for me!

Every time I open 3RR and see that batty avatar, my day just gets a little better.  Thank you so much, my friend.  You have no idea how touched I have been by your gracious comments over the past year and a half.

Since bat is a mysterious sort- man of few words and all that- I thought you all might enjoy a peek at some detailed info...

So, there you have it.  Thanks again, bat.

David

All text and image rights reserved in the original copyright holder.  Text and images are modified and used in 3RR on this non-profit website under the Fair Use Doctrine and as imaginary satire.  The names have been changed to protect the innocent or, if unchanged, are not meant to refer to any actual person or entity, living or dead.  My sincere thanks to the folks at Manitoba's FortWhyte, on which my faux publication is largely based.  See the real thing at their great website- http://www.fortwhyte.org/index.php?pid=96  there's lots of nifty info there.  -DE
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

bat

Thanks for this post, david!

But now it's my 2000th post (actually the 2013 without the reducing) ;)

()stsfd() my 2000th countable post and 70th in this excellent MD   ()stsfd()

Rayden

Quote from: bat on July 21, 2007, 02:25:28 AM
Thanks for this post, david!

But now it's my 2000th post (actually the 2013 without the reducing) ;)

()stsfd() my 2000th countable post and 70th in this excellent MD   ()stsfd()

You'll surely increase your average posts per today from now, 12 posts in just 25 minutes. ;)

TheTeaCat

David, I think you need this for such a fascinating update.

Once again I've learned something new just popping in to see what you had done. My mother R.I.P. was a school teacher so most of my youth was a 24hr lesson. Everyday even the littlest thing was turned into a lesson that captivated my attention and this MD has that effect on me too. At the time i used to hate being in school 24 hrs a day because thats how it felt but at least now I recognise a lesson when i see it and can take full advantage of it :D

Congratulation to Bat on +2000 posts  &apls

regards
Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Jmouse

Well now, that was a very informative post, and the rail-line photos are beautiful. I might consider harboring a bat colony in my front yard if they'll eat mosquitoes. For now, we do have a nice crop of mosquito hawks (AKA dragon flies), but there's so much food in the air they'll soon be too fat to fly.

Until next time...
Jm

thundercrack83

Congratulations on reaching #2000, bat! And David, what a fitting tribute to SC4D's official flying mammal (bats are not rodents, as I've recently learned). Very informative newsletter, too!

dedgren

I just had a little bit of time around lunch, so I added a few quads to the terrain map.

This is about 5% done.  Don't despair, though.  If I can hold back from fine terraforming the quads as I put them in, they only take about 5 minutes apiece.

The problem is, I often can't help myself.

These are quads 9 and 10- shown here.

I added the two streams and the ltlle lake in quad 9, and changed quad 10 just a little bit to give the combined stream a mouth.  I love doing this sort of stuff using the "God Mode" terraforming tools.  It's amazing the level of physical detail you can create.

Have a great Saturday.  Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Pat

Ohh man david i've been slacking a little bit here... The update on Bat was sure a Batty fact and a great readers
tribute if ever i can think of for the man of a few words that always inspire us MDers to move on up...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

bat

That's a nice addition to the map. Looking forward to the whole map...

Unkles27

well the maps look fantastic, you have such a great eye for detail, its very impressive

thundercrack83

The 3RR map reminds me of a jigsaw puzzle right now!

Great job on the terraforming finishing touches, too, David! It might make the process take a bit longer, but in the end, the map is going to be that more more detailed. It's weird, but even though I know exactly what the map looks like, I still look on in amazement when you do different things with it. I look forward to seeing this come together.

Take care,

Dustin

Jmouse

The map is going to be an awesome sight when finished, but the concept is already an awesome achievement.

Until next time...
Jm

dedgren

I just got stuck this morning as I was putting quad 16 in the terrain map.

I've been working on a few improved topo mapping techniques for mountainous areas, so I thought I'd give them a try.  One thing led to another...

...I'm so easy...

...and I wound up with a "late-stage" annotated topo map.

It's probaby the result of devoting pretty much from 10 in the morning until 8 in the evening reading the new Harry Potter book.  My head's still swirling a bit.

There's an upcoming third part of the tutorial on adding detail to topo maps- here's a teaser that shows getting elevation data for mountains, peaks and benchmarks from the TerraFormer.

That amazing piece of software makes it easy as pie.

Finally, here's two in-game pics of the landforms involved.

Boundary Peak

Saddleback Mountain

There'll be another post later today- I still have a bit more in the pipeline.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Pat

Well WOW David flush out them pipes cause man that last topo and update was great...  If this is a taste whats to come i really wanna see more - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Gaston

Just wanted to drop a line here saying I was back from vacation.   I am exhausted.    I'll try to drop by tommorrow.

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

BigSlark

Dang. You will never cease to impress me, David. I'm really, really curious to see Emil's Yards.

Still itchin' to get collaboratin',

Cheers,
Kevin