• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul 999

Quote from: Tarkus on November 09, 2011, 04:08:17 PM
Quote from: Rady on November 09, 2011, 02:26:42 PM
I think the plans where to simply build a roundabout, but then the building worker seemingly suffered from a severe hangover ..  :P

Actually, it seems to have been engineered to prevent traffic from going the wrong way down the on/offramps.

-Alex

Two roundabouts close to each other creates traffic jams. The double roundabout allows capacities increased enormously. In the Netherlands there are a number of these roundabouts that handle traffic fine! Unfortunate this is not possible in Sim City whit small (3x3) roundabouts.

The double roundabout to the N280 motorway Weert - Roermond.
http://maps.google.nl/maps?q=n280&hl=nl&ll=51.235109,5.794306&spn=0.002781,0.009012&sll=52.469397,5.509644&sspn=5.543056,14.27124&vpsrc=6&hnear=N280,+Limburg&t=h&z=18

This double roundabout has a bypass and is also part of the junction A50 - Eindhoven Centrum, very special!
http://maps.google.nl/maps?q=eindhoven&hl=nl&ll=51.496347,5.467061&spn=0.005531,0.018024&sll=51.235109,5.794306&sspn=0.002781,0.009012&vpsrc=6&hnear=Eindhoven,+Noord-Brabant&t=h&z=17

Carny

What do you think about Roundabout under\over RHW4/6 pieces? The "under" piece could be a similar of the existing roundabout under MHW piece, the "over" one could be something like the recent FlexSpui piece of the Nam 5.0.
Both pieces would be awesome solutions for compact urban interchanges. :-)

jdenm8

Roundabout Over won't happen for a long time, we'd probably rewrite the roundabout code at the same time.

Roundabout Under though...

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

MandelSoft

I've heard about some plans to make a compact variant of the RHW-4, the RHW-4C. This gave me an idea yesterday: what if the RHW-4C is a cheap version of the RHW-4S? As an European, I'm actually missing a road category between the AVE-4 (and urban road) and the RHW-4S (a freeway), something like a rural highway (mind that from my point of view a highway is a lower road class than a freeway/motorway). This would mean a four lane road with narrow outer shoulder lanes (instead of wide ones). Something like this: http://g.co/maps/s5kze

It will make the RHW-4C quite distinguishable from the RHW-4S. Here are two alternatives for the base texture of the network:

So, how do you like this idea?

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

riiga

I like that idea a lot! I can see it being used in my cities as a 70/90 km/h avenue without pedestrian access, which I've felt the need for many times, as a regular motorway (RHW-4) seems like too much and an avenue looks strange with its sidewalk and such. So, great idea!  :thumbsup:

Dexter

@maarten:  I like that idea, we have a lot of these in the UK, often referred to as "HQDC" (High Quality Dual Carriageway).  Primary arterial routes (denoted by green signs) can vary greatly in quality, and many have at-grade junctions and roundabouts mixed with GSJs, espesically as you head towards cities, although there are some (such as the A2 in Kent) that have 4 lanes plus hard shoulder in both directions, so basically a motorway in all but name.

I personally prefer the 1st texture without the hard median, as here we very rarely have a concrete barrier on anything with less than three lanes, although they are becoming standard on motorways upgrades.  However, it would hardly be distinguishable from the ordanary RHW 4, so maybe the 2nd option may be a better choice.

Best,
-Matt
Why does one park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

ivo_su

Maarten  you presented an excellent  idea. There is no doubt  that C-type networks are useful and necessary. I personally prefer them to the S-type of RHW. Textures that you did look  perfect, and my only query is whether it can be added to these barriers by RHW-6/8C?
Some time ago  it was discussed and the option of designing and building RHW-10C to which said it would be  a width of perhaps 5 tiles. I would love to see something on this front because now everyone knows about my weakness for broad networks of RHW and NWM. And once again Maarten, you have  my admiration for your clever idea further success.

Best regards,
- Ivo

metarvo

Good idea, Maarten.  Not only would this provide a variant of the RHW-4(S), but it would also create the prospect of more compact diagonal/FARHW segments as Ganaram pointed out in the intersections thread.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Shadow Assassin

Quote from: mrtnrln on November 14, 2011, 11:37:48 PM
I've heard about some plans to make a compact variant of the RHW-4, the RHW-4C. This gave me an idea yesterday: what if the RHW-4C is a cheap version of the RHW-4S? As an European, I'm actually missing a road category between the AVE-4 (and urban road) and the RHW-4S (a freeway), something like a rural highway (mind that from my point of view a highway is a lower road class than a freeway/motorway). This would mean a four lane road with narrow outer shoulder lanes (instead of wide ones). Something like this: http://g.co/maps/s5kze

It will make the RHW-4C quite distinguishable from the RHW-4S. Here are two alternatives for the base texture of the network:

So, how do you like this idea?

Best,
Maarten

I've toyed with this idea (especially if it transitions from a 6C to a 4C)... it would work quite nicely though there would be wasted space in terms of a 3-tile-wide 4C.

I'd love to see that, actually.

[edit] before I forget, this was considered as part of Project 0E, so... maybe it'll be reality before long.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

ivo_su

I think  that Maarten would not be surprised, but Matt (Dexter) it is ahead of the Euro texture. Whoever wants can download them from here.

Best,
- Ivo

MandelSoft

I actually didn't expected that, but anyway it's a good alternative for now ;) I do encourage the initative...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Tarkus

Excellent work, Matt!  I'll get things linked up on the Add-ons list in a bit.

On another note, I'm pleased to announce that my good friend and colleague Ryan (Haljackey) has joined the staff as Moderator of the NAM How-Tos and Tutorials board, and the new RealHighway Interchange Guide subboard.  In the process, the popular RealHighway Interchange Guide will be getting streamlined, making it easier to find information and tutorials relating to this project.

-Alex

ivo_su

My opinion about Matt is that he is a great goal for the NAM  team. I  follow its progress for some time and am very pleased with his work. It's nice that there is a temporary solution for Euro  textures and I already use them. I hope when Maarten and Riga are ready to have their  marking of exits / entrances to the highway. Similar to that of version 4.2 -  you know with oblique lines forming an angle.

Best,
Ivo

Haljackey

Quote from: Tarkus on November 15, 2011, 12:57:47 PM

I'm pleased to announce that my good friend and colleague Ryan (Haljackey) has joined the staff as Moderator of the NAM How-Tos and Tutorials board, and the new RealHighway Interchange Guide subboard.  In the process, the popular RealHighway Interchange Guide will be getting streamlined, making it easier to find information and tutorials relating to this project.

Thanks for that Alex. As you mentioned the RHW Interchange Guide will be expanded and reorganized into a new chill board in the NAM How-Tos and Tutorials called the RealHighway Interchange Guide. The current thread will eventually be broken down and put back together into several threads in it's own section of the site. There will be a sticky thread or two containing the basic information and whatnot.

The current interchange guide will remain in it's entirety until everything has been moved and structured properly, so there shouldn't be any worry about missing content as the transition is taking place.

If you have any questions or comments about how it should happen, or about the guide itself, feel free to post in the current Interchange Guide thread (found HERE).

Once again a big thank you to the NAM Team, the SC4D staff and to you the viewer for making the RealHighway Project what it is today.

-Ryan (Haljackey)

dogma555

This project is just the greatest.. I can't keep up though  ()sad()

mike3775

When it first came out, I never thought I would use it, because it was "complicated", but over time it became as easy to use as the maxis highways, so it gets used more by me, for the simple fact that its upgradeable if it gets to congested, something you cannot do with Maxis Highways.  Sure it does have its drawbacks, but so does every other transport option in the game, so they are minor.

jdenm8

That RHW-4C is an interesting idea, I can think of an example near here, speed limit of only 80km/h, but the standard is kinda different.

48 54 54 50 3A 2F 2F 77 77 77 2E 4D 41 4A 48 4F 53 54 2E 63 6F 4D 47 71 97 108 76 69 114 89 2F 6A 44 65 4E 4D 38 47 82 72 87 2F 32 30 31 31 2D 31 31 2D 31 37 5F 30 30 30 30 34 2E 74 112 71

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Wiimeiser

Then we should add a NRHW4 for it to transition to. That can also transition to the RHW2, of course.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

thornyjohny

I like the RHW-4C idea. I use RHW-6C and 8C wherever there's a good stretch of highway, they look more realistic.

I've just built a cloverleaf with ERHW-6S, and the description of my ERHW-6S on-ramps and off-ramps are in reverse, the on-ramp (according to the yellow and white lines) is labelled as the off-ramp, and vice-versa. In UDI, the police car I was driving dropped down to ground level, off the on-ramp, and suddenly changed directions at the off-ramp. I drive on the left, and it looks like a problem with the LHD plugin.

Gugu3

@Maarten:any teaser of your bridges and Euro texture for RHW? ;D
I find RHW4c very interesting...it would be nice to have in the game!
How about 45degrees flexi fly? :thumbsup: