• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Nyhaven: Views From Within (Nuclear City - 5/8)

Started by woodb3kmaster, October 02, 2008, 06:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benedict

I really like the long, narrow W2W buildings in New Cattala. Great tour!
Click on the banner to celebrate!

vortext

It's been a great month Zack! Your city is quite inspirational, at least to me. In the future I'd love to see some more 'technical' updates (zoning, transit, population, etc) if that's not too much to ask. Keep up the great work!  &apls
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

woodb3kmaster

Ben (benedict): Thank you, Ben! I'm glad you liked those buildings, and the tour overall.
Erik (vortext): Thanks, Erik! That's some high praise, especially coming from as talented an SC4 player and modder as you. I'll see if I can put together some of those technical updates you've asked for, but I'm sure you won't begrudge me today's non-technical update. :P

After much too long, it's time for a new episode of Nyhaven! Today, we're looking at some of the city's newer suburbs. All of the areas we're going to visit today are on the islands in the middle of the Columbia River, to the west and south of downtown Nyhaven.

We begin our tour on Welch Island, which is home to one of Nyhaven's country clubs. Development on this island has been slow, due to it not having very good transportation links with the rest of the metropolitan area. Welch Island is still waiting to get service on the MetroRail...

Just across the slough, on Tenasillahe island, this little neighborhood is tucked between the slough and the island's creeks.

Farther to the south and west, we come to the southern outskirts of the city of Barrington. The R-50 crosses the island here on its way between Nyhaven and Kendall, with an interchange serving the suburbs just east of its bridge over the river.

Puget Island, however, is the largest island in the metro area. We visited it a couple of updates ago when we saw the athletics park. These suburbs are to the northeast of that park, though still on the same island. Near the top is the R-250, which forms a bypass of midtown Nyhaven for Kendall motorists heading to and from the airport. Towards the bottom is the R-150, which connects the airport to Nyhaven and its eastern suburbs.

Those two freeways meet at this interchange, and the R-250 widens to accommodate the extra airport-bound travelers at this point. This area is very popular with residents because of its excellent transportation options; in addition to the two freeways, three different MetroRail lines cross the island in this area.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that there are lots of shopping destinations around here, too. Petersen Crossing is the largest mall in the metro area, and it is conveniently close to the R-250, as well as the Loup Avenue station on the MetroRail's Saint Mark's Line.

The suburbs aren't all houses and shopping centers, though. Parks like this one make them all the more livable, and on a nice summer day, residents are grateful for these amenities.

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

Bipin

Really nice work. I am a big fan of the over-saturated colours, yet still realistic appeal regarding those suburbs.

carlfatal

I wasn´t active since a long time, so I had to reread a lot here. And I only can say: nice, very nice! The two mosaics in the last update are wonderful, I like the way you placed trees and other plants near the river and where the golf course is.  &apls

woodb3kmaster

Bipin: Thank you, Bipin! I find that slightly over-saturating my pictures makes them more appealing, so I'm glad you approve. And, of course, I'm pleased that you think my suburbs are so realistic.
carlfatal: Don't worry about being inactive for so long, my friend; I'm happy to have a comment from you anytime. Thanks for your compliments!

Those of you who have been long-time readers of Nyhaven have doubtless noticed that my updates have been getting much less frequent over the past year or so. There are a couple of reasons for this dropoff, mainly a lack of adequate spare time and interest on my part. Unfortunately, it's not going to get any easier for me to prepare new updates anytime soon; I just started graduate school, so free time is at a premium for me now. So rather than let this MD languish in neglect, I think it's time for me to give it a dignfiied end.

I started the original version of this MD eight years ago today, over at Simtropolis, so today seemed like the most appropriate day to make this admittedly sad announcement. To thank all of you for your patronage over the years, here's a sort of mega-mosaic spanning Nyhaven's Old Town and downtown districts:

Click for full size

In the words of Douglas Adams, so long, and thanks for all the fish!

Nuclear City - 5/8

APSMS

Gee, Zach. I'm sorry to see Nyhaven go. What a run it's had!

Do please feel free to post random pictures of any building you do accomplish after the end. I'm sure we'd all love to see it even if it lacks definition.

Good luck on your postgrad studies. Hopefully we'll still see you around every so often.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

compdude787

I read thru this whole MD a while ago and really enjoyed it! So, it will be sad to see this MD go. :( Having just started an MD, (which I need to update soon ;) ) I now see how much work it is to keep one up. It's harder to get content that's ready to be shown than I thought it would be.
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

vortext

While it's a understandable decision I'm sad this truly wonderful MD has come to an end.  ()sad()

Best of luck in your endeavors. :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird

carlfatal

Although I can understand your decision, it is sad to see this awesome MD coming to an end after all these years, !  &mmm

Good luck to you, hopefully we will meet you here on SC4D from time to time. And who knows? SC4 is an evergreen...  $%Grinno$%

woodb3kmaster

It seems you just can't keep a good MD down. :P

After an extended hiatus, I'm proud to bring you a selection of photos from Kendall, Nyhaven's nearest major city and the capital of the Federal Kingdom of Lower Columbia. Today, I have four massive mosaics to show you, spanning most of the built-up area of Kendall. Each of them crosses at least one city border and shows areas I've never shown before, so get ready to see more of Kendall than you ever have! (Click each mosaic to view it in full resolution.)

This first mosaic, facing east, runs from Parliament House and the Royal Library at the top, past Kendall Palace and the embassies, to the inner suburbs west of the Government Quarter. Fitzsimmons Square the the two residential squares I featured earlier are also visible.

Facing south now, we start near Federal Circle, the de facto central business district of Kendall, and follow the transverse arm of the Royal Promenade from the Royal Cathedral to the Palace of Justice. After passing by Justice Park, we come to Port Brunsmjöd, the regional container port, and the marina at the Brunsmjöd village.

This north-facing mosaic starts up by the northern embassy district and shows parts of all three embassy neighborhoods, as well as most of the Kendall Palace grounds. Across Gnat Creek, we come to the campus of Royal University, Kendall - the flagship campus of its system. At the bottom is the university's Dukes Stadium and the neighboring University Village.

Our last mosaic for today faces west, and it's the longest one I've ever made - so long, in fact, that Photoshop had to shrink it to export it. Starting in some of Kendall's interwar suburbs on the south bank of Gnat Creek, we pass through the western half of Royal University's campus. After visiting the southern embassy district again, we reach the Royal Cathedral before moving on to South Station. Parliament House is just off-screen as we climb the hill that many residents call Flattop, which is home to the capital's largest affordable housing projects. At bottom is the R-50 freeway and its complex interchange with Pacifica and Willamette Avenues.

Nuclear City - 5/8

FrankU

vortext

Oh my, amazing comeback!!  &apls &apls

Really great mosaics, #2 is probably my favorite because it shows so many different districts. As always I'm in awe with your park layout! 

Also, I have to ask: in the last mosaic to the right of the avenue bridge there's this bright building with a brown roof. Any idea where I can find it?

Hm yes, going to grab a cup of coffee and scroll over the mosaics once more.  :thumbsup:

time flies like a bird

art128

Welcome back! What impressive mosaics.

Great use of the new RRW functions, nicely done in front of the station. I like the cross shaped park... Very nice.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

kbieniu7

Yep, that's impressive...

I like the mosaics because they show a big part of the city with huge amount of buildings. And that allows to see, how the park with all of this governmental buildings and the cathedrall is monumental... even maybe a bit too monumental :D Feels like a capital of a huge imperium in power!
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

feyss

Quite an impressive comeback with those mosaics. I like the diversity of your city  :thumbsup:

compdude787

Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

APSMS

Wow Zack, those mosaics are incredible! &apls

Glad to see you back with Nyhaven. Here I thought we'd be devoid of stuff from you for a while now, but it looks like things are going OK.

Guess that's what happens when I let my foruming slow down for a little bit. All sorts of new (and old) things pop up.
I especially like the W2W stuff, and how well the mall/promenade/plaza is arranged. Some amazing work; looks like I need to dust off SC4 and get moving, if I'm ever to think of being this good!
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

David H

woodb3kmaster

FrankU: Why, you're too kind, my friend!
Erik / vortext: Thanks, Erik! That building is the Supreme Court of Canada by otty8116.
Arthur / Art128: Thank you for the kind words!
kbieniu7: Thanks! Yes, Kendall is definitely a very monumental city, and that's by design.
feyss: Thank you! Diversity in appearance is definitely one of the things I was trying for.
compdude787: Thanks!
Absalom / APSMS: Thank you, Absalom! I wasn't sure when I'd have more time for SC4 either, but I couldn't stay away forever. While I can't make any promises of regular updates going forward, at least I have time to play during my Christmas break.
David H: Thanks! I'm glad you like it.

Today's update title says it all: I have four images for you, three of various freeway interchanges, and one of a local park. Each of today's interchanges was made possible (or at least easier to build) by NAM 33's new features, especially the improved and expanded FLEXFly repertoire.

This picture shows the R-50/R-150 corridor, from Cathlamet to the suburbs east of Midtown. As part of the efforts to extend the R-150 to the north, it has been separated from the R-50 mainline. The interchange between the two highways has also been redesigned to eliminate left-hand exits from the R-50, while still allowing traffic to flow in every direction. Now, the R-150 serves as a sort of "express lane" option to the busy R-50, with no exits of its own to surface streets (although a new interchange at 24th Street, near the top of the image, is under discussion).

This is Cool Hollow Park, right next to part the northernmost part of the above interchange. The observant among you will notice that I've redesigned the R-50/150 split a bit; technical constraints forced me to adjust the split's layout to avoid an impossible situation (i.e. three networks on the same cell).

Thanks to some of the new features in this NAM version, I was finally able to finish the R-3/R-50 interchange in midtown Nyhaven. Unfortunately, technical limitations prevent me from running 16th Street right under the flyovers, so I've had to improvise to keep traffic flowing.

Further north on the R-3, we come to the new northern terminus of the R-150. Drivers approaching from the south (top of this picture) can now choose whether to exit the freeway at Yule Avenue or continue onto the southbound R-150. I had to do quite a bit more demolition than I wanted to in the neighborhood surrounding the interchange, but such is the nature of trial-and-error construction.

Nuclear City - 5/8