• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Crime Bug in Megalots - Can we avoid them?

Started by RippleJet, February 11, 2008, 05:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allan_kuan1992

I believe I'll have a somewhat difficult time modding stuff... especially considering how all of my fire trucks operate (with a similar 250 radius) xD

Edit: doing the calculations... but I'm not sure what MIN and INT mean.

Second Edit: I now have other doubts about police officers becoming more lazy as the police station gets smaller (the dispatch strength and radius).

- Allan Kuan

RippleJet

Quote from: allan_kuan1992 on March 13, 2009, 09:59:49 PM
Edit: doing the calculations... but I'm not sure what MIN and INT mean.

MIN = minimum of the two values (in other words, not larger than 50).

INT = Integer... discard the decimals from the result.

Quote from: allan_kuan1992 on March 13, 2009, 09:59:49 PM
Second Edit: I now have other doubts about police officers becoming more lazy as the police station gets smaller (the dispatch strength and radius).

The larger the total police force in the building is, the longer dispatches they can make, and with more officers included... :)

SC4BOY

Re-reading this after having not looked at it in some time brought another question to my mind.. One of the Ordinances (I think Commuter Shuttle, but maybe Carpool Incentive) increase the transport penetration into lots... as I recall from 3 to 4 for C & R and 4 to 5 for I. Does anyone know or have any data on whether this affects police penetration? or is it strictly according to the above parameter?

Sort of a related question, but kind of off this topic: Does this also affect the "reach" of congestion on "traffic noise" or on "customers" count?

And that triggers another related question.. I've read recently that pedestrians don't count for "customer" count. Is that true? If so, doesn't that kind of kill the idea of pedestrian walks in commercial districts?

Feel free to spin those last two questions into another thread if this is too far off-topic.

M4346

With this solid analysis and handling of crime you should come and work for the South African Police Service! :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

RippleJet

Quote from: SC4BOY on August 12, 2009, 02:33:40 PM
Re-reading this after having not looked at it in some time brought another question to my mind.. One of the Ordinances (I think Commuter Shuttle, but maybe Carpool Incentive) increase the transport penetration into lots... as I recall from 3 to 4 for C & R and 4 to 5 for I.

I'd like to query where you've heard this information.

The Commuter Shuttle Ordinance shifts the preferred means of commute from cars to MT, but doesn't change anything else, as far as I know.
The Carpool Incentive has no effect that I'm aware of.

If any of those two ordinances have any other effect, it would have to be controlled from within the exe,
similarily to how nuclear power plants are disabled if you enable the nuclear-free zone ordinance.

Sort of a related question, but kind of off this topic: Does this also affect the "reach" of congestion on "traffic noise" or on "customers" count?

I wouldn't think so.

And that triggers another related question.. I've read recently that pedestrians don't count for "customer" count. Is that true? If so, doesn't that kind of kill the idea of pedestrian walks in commercial districts?

The number of customers and traffic noise is related to congestion, not to absolute traffic volume.
Since pedestrian traffic cannot become congested (except in RL Tokyo? ::) ),

I believe that means they won't add to customers, and not to noise either, which they in that case would (it's the same property).

SC4BOY

Quote from: RippleJet on August 31, 2009, 03:07:15 PM
I'd like to query where you've heard this information.

Well it comes from deep in the recesses of my mind and is quite old.. I don't have the official guide (Prima?) so have never read it, although the info I had may have been passed on by someone who did have access. The only other two sources I would have is reading it over on ST in the old days or something carryover from SC3000URK. I do note that in a city which is "static", ie. not growing actively, demand shows cyclical patterns to the demand and capacity values. That in part is why I mentioned it.

SC4BOY

Hmmm.. was just reviewing some of my older posts.. Relating to this specific post, someone on another site had asked if putting a road under the lot would have any impact on the crime level. I did a set of brief tests on a city that I already have built and concluded that it did not have an effect. I didn't do a thorough test in a sandlotted case, so consider this only preliminary.. but certainly it was MUCH LESS than would have occured on a lot half the size with a road between them. The only tool I  had to measure the crime level was the "orangeness" of the lot in the "crime overlay". If I had a method with more resolution I would go ahead and sandlot test it but my preliminary tests show it just has no effect.

z

Re-reading this after having not looked at it in some time brought another question to my mind.. One of the Ordinances (I think Commuter Shuttle, but maybe Carpool Incentive) increase the transport penetration into lots... as I recall from 3 to 4 for C & R and 4 to 5 for I.

Yes, as you guessed in a more recent post, this is how the Commuter Shuttle worked in SC3K.  But I've seen nothing to this effect for SC4.

Quote from: RippleJet on August 31, 2009, 03:07:15 PM
The number of customers and traffic noise is related to congestion, not to absolute traffic volume.

Are you sure about that?  I get plenty of customers where I have no congestion.  It would seem more likely that it would be travel types that are affected by traffic generate noise, which would exclude pedestrians, but include buses in the original game.

RippleJet

Quote from: z on November 06, 2009, 03:22:29 PM
Are you sure about that?

This was what I thought back then... ::)

Quote from: z on November 06, 2009, 03:22:29 PM
I get plenty of customers where I have no congestion.  It would seem more likely that it would be travel types that are affected by traffic generate noise, which would exclude pedestrians, but include buses in the original game.

That would be quite possible! ;)

Dime3us

So, can not fix it? Particularly interested in the airport. Councilor tired already in every town yelling about crime in it. I've tried everything - fashion police stations, the radius of the doubler, even given the properties of airport police station (he ceased to be the airport, but the crime remains) Crap ..

Indisguise

To aviod the crime from a mega sized lot, try one of the airport puzzel piece packs, theres are several.

You don't plop down a giant mega lot, but piece together smaller pieces that together resemble a large airport, when building it add service roads, some packs have altered ones to look like airport service roads. These will give the police the access to inside of the lot, which from my understanding, being so far away from the road is the problem and where the crimes gather cause their out of reach of the long arm of the law. Apparently the arm is only so long.
Colossus X-rated

Dime3us

Hmm.. it works  &apls I have downloaded much smaller international airport and country club. The problem remained only the stadium ..

Lowkee33

I have been thinking about this, but I have no idea if it would work...

What if the mega-lot also had police-station stats?

RippleJet

Quote from: Lowkee33 on July 16, 2010, 09:35:02 AM
What if the mega-lot also had police-station stats?

If I remember correctly, T Wrecks once tried that on one of Bixel's megalots...
The results were not quite as encouraging as he would have wanted though.
However, as far as I know he didn't mod the dispatch strength and radius...

Crime can and will appear inside police stations as well.
And the larger they are, the larger the chance of crime appearing within them.

Once crime has hit the police station megalot in the game,
the crime busting would be roughly as efficient as if the police station were on a neighbouring lot.