• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Maxis Highway Override (Project Symphony) - Development & Support

Started by MandelSoft, October 31, 2012, 09:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indiana Joe

That is one sexy beast of an interchange right there Maarten.  Any chance you'll make versions of those that work with B-style ramps?  I would prefer not to have that awkward bend of the A-style ramps.

AngryBirdsFan436

Well, for the stack interchanges, the Multi-Height Flex-Fly pieces will do the trick for building stack interchanges? :)
SC4 + NAM = 20% Cooler!

metarvo

The end of the MHW pre-fabs set off a flashing red signal for me, although I realize it must be done.  One of the very few remaining advantages the MHW had to offer was the prospect of building diagonal cloverleafs or T-bones.  Sure, the prefabs are badly out of scale, but they were there.  We don't yet have diagonal ramps for ERHW, so there will now be no good way to building diagonal highway-to-highway interchanges unless said ramps are eventually introduced.

With that cold water out of the way, this is a spectacular project!  I admit to using the MHW less and less as the years go by (except for the above scenario), so this will actually make it more usable overall for me.  The enhanced tunnel functionality alone is a big plus.  Nice work!

:thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

jdenm8

Quote from: metarvo on November 05, 2012, 06:53:48 AM
We don't yet have diagonal ramps for ERHW

We're changing Diagonal ERHW-4's geometry in the new RHW and the new EMHWY models have very similar geometry so... you never know...

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

SimCity V6

I honestly, don't really like this project. I prefer to keep the MHW the way it is and RHW the way it is, but still, I'm loving the interchanges!

Swordmaster

Quote from: SimCity V6 on November 05, 2012, 07:46:12 AM
I honestly, don't really like this project. I prefer to keep the MHW the way it is and RHW the way it is, but still, I'm loving the interchanges!

Weird, you don't like the project but love the interchanges?

Also, if you want to keep MHW the way it is, then don't install this mod! Nothing will change for you then.

Cheers
Willy

noahclem

Wow, those are some spectacular looking ramps Maarten  &apls &apls &apls

Are they modular in 90 degree segments? 3x3 pieces? Obviously there's no sudden L2-L0 transition, just a graceful transition.

MandelSoft

The end of the MHW pre-fabs set off a flashing red signal for me, although I realize it must be done.  One of the very few remaining advantages the MHW had to offer was the prospect of building diagonal cloverleafs or T-bones.  Sure, the prefabs are badly out of scale, but they were there.  We don't yet have diagonal ramps for ERHW, so there will now be no good way to building diagonal highway-to-highway interchanges unless said ramps are eventually introduced.
:thumbsup:
Ah, but haven't I told you that diagonal ramps and transitions are at the top of my priorities list? ;)
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Gugu3

That's amazing Maarten!considering that this transition ramps will be compatibile with RHW too...very very interesting ;D

Monorail Master

Excellent work on ths project Maarten!  :thumbsup:

But for me, I kind of have mixed feelings about this even despite how awesome it looks. 'Cause I use MHW+RHW together for dense urban enviroments, mostly for MHW branching off a section of RHW-6, RHW-8, etc. Then replacing a network of elevated AVE-4 with MHW, so that way the traffic can use the MHW-ramps to use the EL-MHW to transfer onto the RHW networks.

But once when P57 and Symphony comes out, I'll end up using RHW all of the time for my urban enviroments. ;D

Also about that El-Roundabout interchange. Is it just a 4-way interchange, or will we be able to use it for a 3-way interchange? Such as replacing a MHW T-bone with one of those.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination

Patricius Maximus

As for myself, I never used the diagonal pre-fabs much to begin with, so transitioning to RHW was no problem. Even in situations where diagonal pre-fabs were warranted, they looked too weird for me to use them in the RHW era.

Quote from: Swordmaster on November 05, 2012, 08:04:13 AM
Weird, you don't like the project but love the interchanges?

Who wouldn't love that roundabout interchange?

Also, if you want to keep MHW the way it is, then don't install this mod! Nothing will change for you then.

Exactly. One of the best characteristics of Project Symphony is that the MHW change is optional.

Quote from: Monorail Master on November 05, 2012, 08:56:15 AM
But once when P57 and Symphony comes out, I'll end up using RHW all of the time for my urban enviroments. ;D

I already do use RHW all the time for my urban environments. It takes up more space than an MHW but it's well worth it to me. At the risk of tooting my own horn, you can check out my Patrician Showcase at Simtropolis for examples of urban RHW's, from the current version of course. P57 will introduce new possibilities.

QuoteAlso about that El-Roundabout interchange. Is it just a 4-way interchange, or will we be able to use it for a 3-way interchange? Such as replacing a MHW T-bone with one of those.

I hope that a three-way piece will be available. I wouldn't think it would be that difficult to make a three-way piece as well, but then again I'm not an expert on these sort of things.

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: MandelSoft on November 05, 2012, 08:33:51 AM
Ah, but haven't I told you that diagonal ramps and transitions are at the top of my priorities list?

Anyone drinking coffee would've seen coffee all over their monitor.

Quote from: Patricius Maximus on November 05, 2012, 02:53:39 PM
I hope that a three-way piece will be available. I wouldn't think it would be that difficult to make a three-way piece as well, but then again I'm not an expert on these sort of things.

I think the problem with a three-way RA interchange is exactly that. Roundabout interchanges are meant for low-level interchanging between two thorough highways, and not so much for one thorough and one terminating highway; Maybe a thorough and and a terminating arterial, but that's just it.

Quick and dirty way of achieving a three-way: Did you know you don't have to connect every ramp together?
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

sunv123

QuoteAh, but haven't I told you that diagonal ramps and transitions are at the top of my priorities list?

:o

That's what i struggle with every time I build RHW.

Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

MandelSoft

Well, about the three-way Roundabout interchange, three things:

1) For the three-level roundabout it makes no sense; there's no MHW crossing it on top or at the bottom. So it will be two levels max.
2) For now, you can use the MHWxAVE-4 roundabout instead. Maybe I'll to the L2 two-level roundabout interchange later in three-way
3) As Ganaram said, they are low-capacity interchanges, when you really don't have enough room to build something better. However, I think I'll have a T-Bone piece ready too when this project will be released...

Gugu3

Amazing Maarten!even if I'll use the prefab T-bone only if I will not be able to place a normal interchange made be me :thumbsup:
Anyway great job!agree with you for the roundabout interchange ;D
Cheers
Gugu3

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: MandelSoft on November 06, 2012, 01:12:47 AM
However, I think I'll have a T-Bone piece ready too when this project will be released...

Question: In order to accurately replicate the MHW T-bone via Symphony-style, wouldn't a D1/E1 ramp piece be needed?
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Patricius Maximus

1) For the three-level roundabout it makes no sense; there's no MHW crossing it on top or at the bottom. So it will be two levels max.

Hmm...yes that's right. So we don't really need a three-way piece beyond what would be required for a two-level ordinary roundabout interchange.

MandelSoft

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on November 07, 2012, 01:45:08 PM
However, I think I'll have a T-Bone piece ready too when this project will be released...

Question: In order to accurately replicate the MHW T-bone via Symphony-style, wouldn't a D1/E1 ramp piece be needed?
Yes. And they are on my to-do list...

Also, I got this ready yesterday:

Best,
Maarten