• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Multi-Lane roundabout

Started by Rady, August 12, 2009, 04:20:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rady

Sorry if i managed to pick the wrong forum - searched a while but didn't find another forum that seemed more relevant for my question:

When creating avenues one of the first thing that creates a traffic jam are the crossings. Normally I will then replace them by a roundabout. Which works out so far unless you will again have an traffic jam there. So the next step in upgrading traffic flow is over- / underpasses. However in RL you often find mulit-lane roundabouts.

Right now I kind of cerate thes "roundabouts" by using two rectangular one-way-roads. Which basically serves the problem :thumbsup:, but more ore less exactly fails to please the eye. :thumbsdown:

So - is there anything like a mulit-lane roundabout available on the lex (didn't find anything so far) or possibly under developement somewhere? Does anybody know? %confuso
If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Visit my BAT thread: Slow BAT steady - Rady's first BAT attemtps

carkid1998

There is a 2 lane Avenue roundabout under Avenue intersections in the road menu.
Sendona... Coming soon!

Rady

Well yes that's the "normal" 4x4 avenue roundabout (that ships with the NAM, if im correct?) that you're talking about, right?. What I'm thinking of is a 3 .. 4-lane roundabout possibly ..?
If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

io_bg

It should be possible, I'd also like to see a bigger roundabout. I hope the guys from the NAM team will see this thread ;)
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Diggis

Do you have some examples of these?  I just forsee big problems with roundabouts that size.

Rady

I'm thinking of something like this:

http://maps.google.at/maps?q=wien+karte&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&hl=de&ll=48.218254,16.392379&spn=0.002531,0.004823&t=h&z=18

or this

http://maps.google.at/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=de&geocode=&q=paris+place+de+la+concorde&sll=48.860536,2.323952&sspn=0.077135,0.154324&ie=UTF8&ll=48.86553,2.321114&spn=0.002498,0.004823&t=h&z=18

I admit these are quiet huge versions of a "roundabout", but possibly you get the idea ...

Basically IMO the main problem with the normal avenue roundabout is it's size (or the lack of it, to be precise). Once you reach a certain level of traffic going over the roundabout, it will get congested due to the fact that the diameter is to small, thus there is not enough place for the cars. For that reason I create my own "roundabouts" like this one:

So now it would be GREAT to have that but possibly as a circle and without the space between the lanes (like a RHW-6 or RHW-8-circle) ... possibly you can add that to the end of your (I suppose endless ;D) wishlist  "$Deal"$

Aside that ... thank's to all of you for the great work you did with the NAM and all this custom stuff ... &apls &apls &apls

SC4BOY

Personally I'd rather they put the effort somewhere else.. If I want a "custom roundabout" such as you've constructed, I make my own just like you did.. this gives me TREMENDOUS flexibility that you'd not have with a "premade" tool

joelyboy911

Hmmm... well I just became a NAM Associate because I am interested in making textures to improve roundabouts (I haven't learned transit modding yet). Right now I am working on making a 2 lane avenue one, but in the future you might see other things from me.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

Rady

Quote from: SC4BOY on August 17, 2009, 08:55:59 PM
Personally I'd rather they put the effort somewhere else.. If I want a "custom roundabout" such as you've constructed, I make my own just like you did.. this gives me TREMENDOUS flexibility that you'd not have with a "premade" tool

Agree. Like I said before, just wanted to add it to the BOTTOM of the wish list    :P But possibly there will be a time ... ;D It's just that I don't like the gap between the single lanes of the "one-way-multi-lane-roundabout" for optical reasons ... &ops

SC4BOY

When it really gets sticky is when instead of avenue, it is GLR in avenue.. then making up roundabouts with oneways is near impossible without getting REALLY MESSY...  At least if there is a way, I haven't discovered it yet.

There are some conditions covered in the roundabouts, but they are all orthogonal, so if you have a 45degree odd multiple, it can't be used and you have to either give it up or redesign the whole area to work around it.. lol.. we're never satisfied, eh?