• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Sopa de Mariscos

Started by rooker1, April 27, 2008, 09:15:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooker1

Sopa de Mariscos
I have always loved this when it was made for me.  It surely is one of my most favourite dishes. 
Now I think I have perfected my own recipe, so I thought I would share it with you.

INGREDIENTS
3/4 cup butter (do not insult this dish with margarine, please)
2 spanish onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
1 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
1 (14.5 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
1 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
1/2 cup clam juice
1 1/2 cups dry white wine (a very good one if possible, and drink it during dinner)
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 1/2 pounds large shrimp - peeled and deveined (I like to add small and large for some variety)
1 1/2 pounds bay scallops
18+ small clams (I like to add different kinds)
18+ mussels, cleaned and debearded
2 pounds cups crablegs (these will have to be precooked)
1 1/2 pounds cod fillets (whole, do not cut, or your favourite fish)

Try to use fresh seasonings if possible, it really turns out a lot better.

DIRECTIONS
Over medium-low heat melt butter in a large stockpot, add onions, garlic and parsley. Cook slowly, stirring occasionally until onions are soft.
Add tomatoes (and the juice) to the pot (break them into chunks as you add them). Add chicken broth, calm juice, wine, bay leaves, basil, thyme and oregano, . Mix well. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
Stir in the shrimp, scallops, clams, mussels, crableg (remember that they need to be precooked) and fish (whole). Bring to boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer 5 to 7 minutes until clams open.
Pour your glasses of wine and ladle soup into wide shallow bowls and eat with warm, crusty bread!

Enjoy,
Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Pat

oooh Robin this sounds soooooo yummie to my tummies yum yum!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Vandy

Hi, Robin.

If I may quote Frank Barone, "HOLY CRAP!"

Now THAT is a great recipe!  And, after giving it a careful read, it sounds scrumptiously delicious!

It would appear that this makes quite a bit of soup.  Does the recipe "cut" easily -- that is, can it be halved or quartered without altering the end result (too much...).

Thanks again for this great recipe.

Regards,

Gary

In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.  © May 29, 1980

rooker1

Hey Vandy,

Have you ever eaten something the day after and enjoyed it even more?
The thing with this soup, IMO, is that it tastes even better the second day.  Just remember to reheat it on the stove not in the microwave.  ;)

You can easily half it but be careful doing it any more than that.  I usually invite friends over when I make this and my kids love seafood.  It last me two days and that's it.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.