• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The University of Clayhurst

Started by JBSimio, February 17, 2009, 05:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chibytuga

Very cool stuff. I especially like the look of the design school.

Will this be on the LEX eventually, or on some future DVD?

JBSimio

Pat:  Thanks!  Truth be told, a good 80% or more of my best work seems to happen when I should be asleep!  :D

Shaun:  Probably a fair point... although I've got my eye on the blond in B412.   ()flower()

Lee:  Yeah... they already fell off, as a matter of fact... ;)

Matt:  Thanks!  The modding includes the NIMBY effect and actually drags the education level way down... making your entire city dumber for building this dorm!   $%Grinno$%

XiahouDun:  Thank you!  I guess you either need to get your DVD then... (or wait a bit longer until this set is nearly finished)  ;)

Kimcar:  Thank you!

Mcarch:  Thanks!

Hogmeister:  Thank you!

Chibytuga:  Thanks!  The starter pack is on the current DVD... and everything will be on the LEX when this pack gets closer to completion.

Alright... had a rather productive day with this.  I made a few last minute changes to Diggis Hall and will be exporting it as soon as I finish this post.  Here's the final look before lotting begins:

Speaking of lotting... I got the Matthew Edgren Law School exported overnight and started on the lot for it today.  I'm not entirely finished just yet, but it's pretty close.  This is a 7x4 lot.

The main things I still need to do with this one are find a better way to transition from the rosebeds along the sides around to the front... I'm just not happy with those front corners at the moment.  I also feel that the courtyard is a bit empty.  There are clusters of people there (they just didn't show up in this picture)... but I think it needs something more yet.  That's about it for now though...

JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

Heblem

Wow excellent work I do like your university pack, ive used one of your uni pack from the bsc disc and it looks pretty good, an university like this was missing for the game.

One of my fav building from you its the DeBussy engineer building! I'd like you to do some more buildings like that style. can't wait to download it  :)

As for your latest building seems great, the only thing is the front statue, looks too bright at night...

Take care

tag_one

drooool !!! two very nice buildings JB  :o

JBSimio

Heblem:  Thank you!  The Swan Centre for Business Studies will also be a more modern building similar to the DeBussy building.  The statue is a Maxis prop... so there isn't much I can do about that one.  ;)

Tag_one:  Thanks!

I made some additions to the courtyard at the back of the Matthew Edgren Law School... more seating, more people (although you can't tell from this picture).  It looks much better now and this one is just about finished for good.

I also got Diggis Hall lotted.  It's pretty similar in style to Stropon Hall... and really a pretty simple lot, but it should work well for the modular setting.  This is a 5x4 lot.

That's about it for now... although there may be more to look at later!  ;)

JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

girlfromverona

Awesome stuff, JB! I'm going to be ordering the SC4D DVD soon, and I just can't wait to play with your university!  ;D

Jack_wilds

Hello JBSimio, Jack wilds here...

It all looks good so good in fact I would like to attend and get my bachelors degree in Civil and environmental engineering versus the four associates and many other added credits that I have now.  A real neat looking campus... :satisfied:

later

Jack

JBSimio

Girlfromverona:  Thank you!  I'm glad to hear you'll be getting the DVD as well... don't forget to download the patch for the DVD version.  ;)

Jack:  Thanks!  I wouldn't mind actually finishing a degree here either...  :D

Well... I started messing around with some ideas for the fifth and final dorm today.  (You actually haven't seen the fourth one yet because I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the one I have going right now or not).  What I really want to do is have a cluster of buildings around a sunken courtyard for this one.  As of right now, that idea wouldn't work because the dorms are too tall.  So I may either change some or all of the heights... or save the courtyard idea for another lot.  Either way... here's a look:

The green square represents a 5x5 lot... I'm pretty happy with this so far, so it's really just a matter of deciding what I actually want to do with it.  That's about all for now...

JB

calibanX

Wow JB. It's great to see the University ready for the LEX. Edgren Law School is fantastic as well. I've been watching and waiting. Your work is some of the best in the game.
Where City and Country Flow Together

threestooges

Nice work Jon. Diggis Hall can cause the EQ to plummet, the Law School will cause health to sink, and the NIMBY effects of both should be enough that if they're both plopped in the same general area, the mayor is immediately ousted by a torch-bearing mob. I like the back patio of the law school, but it might be nice to see some tables back there too, and perhaps a little coffee cart for the consistently caffienated.

I like the new dorm, and I like the idea of a sunken courtyard. Might be interesting with this set of buildings too. In one view, they'll almost completely obscure it, and in another rotation you'll be able to see right into it. It'd make for some interesting variety in pic taking. Also, not sure of the dimensions of the building from the pic, but does the part that provides roof access also contain an elevator in addition to stairs? I'd hate to have to hike to the top floor, but it seems a bit narrow for an elevator.

Great work as always.
-Matt

XiahouDun

Quote from: JBSimio on February 21, 2009, 11:13:58 PM
XiahouDun:  Thank you!  I guess you either need to get your DVD then... (or wait a bit longer until this set is nearly finished)  ;)
Once I can get the money :D Had a host of things that needed to take priority over the DVD lately. Like the new computer ;D
Current project: Movies 14

You may have meant to search for Houdini. (result of searching for XiahouDun on SC4D)

Heblem

The Digis Hall once again its one of my favorite, due its simplicity.

As for the highrise i suggest you some green bushes on the building edges (except on the entrances) that would be better than doing that in LE. Make it simple  :thumbsup:

Scarton

Great job on the University. Unfortunately, I don't have the dvd so I don't think I'll be able to use these in my cities.  :( :'( Your buildings are marvelous, though. :thumbsup:

Pat

Jon just sooo wonderful there!!! What more can I say???

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

JBSimio

CalibanX:  Thank you!  I really wasn't happy with the Law School originally.  I set it aside for a number of months and just recently came back to it and now I'm much happier with how it came out.

Matt:  Thanks!  Some kind of little food cart might be a nice idea actually... I'll have to dig around and see if I can find or just make one.  The arrangement of Tage Towers has changed, but I think the different rotations will still keep things pretty interesting like you mentioned.  I actually built the elevator shaft before the rest of the building and have since adjusted it to a more appropriate size.

XiahouDun:  Fair enough... I know I ended up spending a lot more money on my move this fall, part of which went towards replacing my desktop that died somewhere between Michigan and Califonia!   :bomb:

Heblem:  Thank you!  I'm not sure how I'm going to "garden" this new building yet... but modeling any shrubs and such would definitely be easier given the odd angles involved.   :thumbsup:

Citycapitalizer:  Thank you!  You'll still get a chance to see these in your cities... it will just take longer.  ;)

Pat:  Thank you!  I guess you can say anything you want really... I'm not going to stop you.  :D

Alright... I spent a lot of time not getting very far with this, but I finally have something worth showing again.  The towers are all textured and lit now.  Unfortunately, I have some really bad light leaks for some reason which I'll have to track down.  I also mocked up the different heights and what will eventually be the final arrangement for the lot... which is now 6x5.  Ultimately, I'll break this back apart and export each piece separately.  So this will probably be the last time you'll see it all together until I get to the lotting process.

As you can see, I started the sunken courtyard but it still needs a lot of work.  The biggest issue right now is that I did a horrible job at hiding the underground sections!   ()sad()  The overall arrangement will probably change somewhat as I go along fixing that... but the idea of a foot bridge going over the whole thing will stay in some way, shape, or form.  Pretty much everything else is still up for grabs at this point though.  :D

More next time...
JB

Pat

LoL Jon I know I can say alot but if some of the words I was to use might get me a censership hehehehehe.... Don't worry it would all be to the good as it is again another WOW here with the textures applied!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

XiahouDun

Quote from: JBSimio on February 25, 2009, 07:22:02 PM
XiahouDun:  Fair enough... I know I ended up spending a lot more money on my move this fall, part of which went towards replacing my desktop that died somewhere between Michigan and Califonia!   :bomb:
Blame Iowa :D Though good thing about the new computer, going to be working in 3ds Max on my bigger buildings now... once I learn how.

Towers are looking great. Your textures are stunning yet again.
Current project: Movies 14

You may have meant to search for Houdini. (result of searching for XiahouDun on SC4D)

Scarton

Wow, it's really coming along. :thumbsup: I'm glad it's going to be released. Great job. &apls &apls

threestooges

Looking nice Jon. My only though is that a more circular sunken area would work better with the round shape of the building arrangement. Aside from that, things seem to be off to a good start.
-Matt

art128

Hey jon, the three lats buildings are just awesome my friend.
I really love the Diggis Hall and the three towers.  &apls

Arthur.  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog