• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDO29Anagram

I thought we were using the Mayan calendar... Don't worry, I updated to the 13th baktun, to avoid any B13 problems.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Wiimeiser

Or how about the Nirn calendar? Or the Modern Nirn calendar? (which more realistically has 409 days instead of the 365 Bethesda uses)
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

AngryBirdsFan436

Quote from: Swordmaster on February 27, 2013, 05:17:53 PM
Oh by the way, did we ever mention the NAM team is following the Julian calendar?

QuoteConsequently, the Julian calendar is currently 13 days behind the Gregorian calendar, so that, for instance, 1 January in the Julian calendar is 14 January in the Gregorian.

I hope you can all wait another two weeks.

Cheers
Willy
Erm, this is a joke, right? :P :D ;) $%Grinno$%
SC4 + NAM = 20% Cooler!

coffianapolister

Oh by the way, did we ever mention the NAM team is following the Julian calendar?

QuoteConsequently, the Julian calendar is currently 13 days behind the Gregorian calendar, so that, for instance, 1 January in the Julian calendar is 14 January in the Gregorian.

Cheers
Willy

If this is a joke, it is not funny at all.
If this is not a joke, well, ***** ***.

Very unnecessary.  Robin - Admin.

riiga

Quote from: coffianapolister on February 28, 2013, 06:33:26 AM

Cheers
Willy

If this is a joke, it is not funny at all.
If this is not a joke, well, ***** ***.
How very nice of you.  :thumbsdown:

rooker1

I understand everyone is on the edge of their seats waiting for the release of the NAM, but we have had two unecessary rude comments so far today directed to the NAM.  I can tell you for sure that the NAM Team are still working very hard and these rude comments are uncalled for.  Try showing some appreciation instead!!  The next person may not only get thier post edited but something more drastic.

Positive comments from now on please.

Robin - Admin
Call me Robin, please.

Patricius Maximus

Quote from: rooker1 on February 28, 2013, 06:55:21 AMI understand everyone is on the edge of their seats waiting for the release of the NAM, but we have had two unecessary rude comments so far today directed to the NAM.  I can tell you for sure that the NAM Team are still working very hard and these rude comments are uncalled for.  Try showing some appreciation instead!!  The next person may not only get thier post edited but something more drastic.

It was a bad joke. However, I have confidence in them. The NAM Team don't strike me as the sort of people who would set a release date and not hold to it, and the members do not have a history of lying. I'm certain that if you and the other NAMites say that you're working on it, then you are working on it; I'm also certain that if you and the other NAMites say it will be released on March 1, then it will be released on March 1.

Assuming, of course, that a global catastrophe doesn't happen that devastates the internet, or that the NAM Team doesn't wink out of existence just before midnight tonight due to unknown quantum effects  :P. Worse yet, Simcity 4 or all of humanity could cease to exist at 00:00 UTC on March 1. Or worst of all, a vengeful SC4D user from the future could sabotage the millions of lines of code that Tarkus has created, thereby altering the timeline $%Grinno$%.

Anticipation and worrying aside, I seriously think those are the only scenarios that could prevent a release as scheduled. The last one is especially implausible, unless temporal psychosis is involved (that happened once in a Star Trek episode).

jgehrts

A Nonny Moose

Chuckle.  I am in no rush.  I will avoid the jam over the coming weekend and download it when I think it might happen in a reasonable amount of time.

Bless you all, and my Llenderlon look kindly upon you.

My Canada includes Quebec

MandelSoft

And here's to another teasefest image...

Yup, that's our cover of our 120 page RHW manual. It's pretty detailed. However, only the RHW and Symphony have these manuals. The other components will follow in the next versions.

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Patricius Maximus

Quote from: MandelSoft on February 28, 2013, 11:00:29 AM
And here's to another teasefest image...

It is just like Christmas  :D.

QuoteYup, that's our cover of our 120 page RHW manual. It's pretty detailed. However, only the RHW and Symphony have these manuals. The other components will follow in the next versions.

A 120-page manual? That will no doubt be detailed and intriguing. For perspective, the Simcity 4 Deluxe User's Manual was 92 pages long.

Meanwhile, it's now past midnight March 1 in India, Central Asia, and points east. In Kiritimati it's already past 9 AM. At the same time, in parts of the Arctic Ocean it's still 11 hours away from starting March 1. No wonder the NAMites have to say which time zone they're using.

Wiimeiser

Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Patricius Maximus

Quote from: Wiimeiser on February 28, 2013, 01:00:51 PM
I'm not seeing the image...

It's no longer showing up, and 3 minutes after I posted my message Tarkus edited MandelSoft's post. Most curious.

spot

someone is getting spanked behind the curtains :P
I saw the image and im excited !

Durfsurn

The link is blank for me for the image. Anyway I'm sure it's great and can't wait another ~12-24 hours!

MandelSoft

Turns out I was a bit too fast with the teasing. Anyway, you won't have to wait much longer, since you'll see the manual at the release ;)
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

jdenm8

Quote from: spot on February 28, 2013, 01:23:13 PM
someone is getting spanked behind the curtains :P
I saw the image and im excited !

Don't get too excited, it may not end up being in the release.

One thing that must be considered is that we've only had two months to clean up, fix and prepare a year and a half worth of development assets and completely rethink how we distribute, install and manage the NAM's components.

We've got a whole new installer thanks to Z, an entirely new codebase for the RHW thanks to Tarkus, remastered RHW viaducts thanks to Jondor, a significant replacement of two of the most underused networks in the game and we've integrated a ton of third-party content, some of which required lengthy modding processes so that they're integrated correctly and work in the most efficient fashion.

In addition, we've also added a few new things. I'm not going to let the cat out of the bag, but it'll give you more options for getting your cities looking exactly how you want them to look, allow more people to use the NAM in their native text and fix some oversights that the devs made back in 2003.
All of this is new and while we've done the best we can to fix bugs and get as much in as we can, not everything can make it in, or has had the attention it normally would have received.

EDIT: De-mobile phone-ified.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Tarkus

Quote from: jdenm8 on February 28, 2013, 02:19:53 PM
One thing that must be considered is that we've had a whole of two months to clean up, fix and prepare a year and a half worth of development assets and completely rethink how we distribute, install and manage the NAM's components.

And those two months hit right while while many of us were dealing with heavy-duty RL--in my case, writing my dissertation.  It's been a mad dash to say the least, and we're having to put in a superhuman effort in order to get things into decent enough shape for tomorrow.  Hence why those images for that mysterious feature went bye-bye--it's not going to be in the release.

Given all that, I don't think you'll be seeing us announce release dates ever again.  There were special circumstances that necessitated having one this time (no release in 18 months, and with the new game coming out Tuesday, we wanted to make sure people knew the flagship SC4 mod was still alive and kicking), but it's been truly insane.

-Alex