• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgb204

Quote from: Tarkus on July 05, 2014, 01:57:01 AM
NAM 33 will mark the coming of age of the elevated RHW system.

Couldn't agree with you more looking through all the new developments going on here, very exciting stuff.

Thanks to all the NAM team for your continued efforts. &apls

fefenc

You should try to do EL-RHW neighborhood connection pieces, using 2 lane highway (simphony) to do a EL-neighborhood connection always is boring :<

Durfsurn

I was messing around with making a puzzle piece and got to the point to edit the RUL controller file. I followed the tutorial and finished editing it and replaced it back into the dat file. But when I went to test my new piece in game I get "Unsuitable Area to build Network" on everything with a starter on it, e.g. starter pieces and ramps, but not on fillers and FLEX ramps. What did I do in the controller to do this and can I fix it easily?

Thanks Durfsurn

memo

Quote from: Durfsurn on July 08, 2014, 01:00:35 AM
I was messing around with making a puzzle piece and got to the point to edit the RUL controller file. I followed the tutorial and finished editing it and replaced it back into the dat file. But when I went to test my new piece in game I get "Unsuitable Area to build Network" on everything with a starter on it, e.g. starter pieces and ramps, but not on fillers and FLEX ramps. What did I do in the controller to do this and can I fix it easily?

It is hard to tell as this can have many reasons, which are usually simple to fix, though. Please show the code of what you changed exactly in the RUL0 file.

Durfsurn

I added this string to the TAB ring section:

And this to the definition section:

Tarkus

Try leaving the "+" tiles off on the ConsLayout, reverting them to dots.  That section is often involved in "unsuitable area" errors.

-Alex

Durfsurn

Unfortunately that didn't work Alex I still have the same problem. I also took the +'s off the CellLayout too, because you have to right?

Thanks Durfsurn

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Durfsurn on July 08, 2014, 01:24:44 AM
I added this string to the TAB ring section:

<>

And this to the definition section:

<>

Here are a few things to try out, for the sake of making things easier.

One: ditch the starters entirely. I actually had a hard time attaching starters to my second-ever puzzle piece, the RHW-4 to RHW-6C compact transition, so I decided to ditch them. Plus it makes the entire ramp more slope-tolerant. Plus, depending on how you handle them (because there are gonna be mirrored versions of them), you either need to redefine them or create mirrored versions of them.

Two: If I ever need an H(3)ID, I just take the next ID available from the last. If the last ID in the list is 5ff7, I take 5ff8, for example. It's easy to swap out HIDs in the future if needed. It's easier, or rather, safer to add new puzzle pieces to the end of an existing tab ring for the sake of testing, since it can be easy to mess up stuff in the middle, like take up an already existing HID.

Scratch that last part; there really was nothing after 5ff0.

Three: share code using this thing:

[-code]MINUS THE DASHES[-/code]

That way, it's easier for some of us to help out with debugging since we can see what you're doing.

Four: I'm not sure if you're actually using this, but if you aren't, you really really should because it's a lifesaver: use the Controller Compiler to your advantage.

If you go to this location:

D:\<YOUR NAME HERE>\Documents\SimCity 4\NAM Auxiliary Files\Tools\Controller Compiler

You'll find the actual compiler. There's another folder called Network Addon Mod, which contains the entire Controller, broken down into RUL0, 1, and 2, each broken down further into individual .txt files, corresponding to a certain section of the Controller. Use the developer compiler since it will read all of those .txt files, and you can also export it to a unique location so as to not overwrite the existing controller.

Hope that helps.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Blue Lightning

Quote from: Durfsurn on July 08, 2014, 01:46:26 AM
I also took the +'s off the CellLayout too, because you have to right?

I don't know why you would use + in CellLayout for a ramp. You should be using all orthogonal tiles 0x02000200 and | in the corresponding ConsLayout.

As said above, ditch the starters for now.
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

Durfsurn

My new problems are now twofold. I now have the piece ingame but;

a) The preview model is good but has black marks down the side (I assume I have to delete those S3D files?) but when I place it the tiles on the right disappear!

b) In PS the textures line up well:

but ingame they don't agree, is this a geometry issue or a size issue?

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Durfsurn on July 08, 2014, 08:07:42 PM
b) In PS the textures line up well:

but ingame they don't agree, is this a geometry issue or a size issue?

I can answer this part: It's because you're using a different texture set for everything else and you're developing a ramp whose textures are only suitable for the default textures. All the other RHW texture sets (Euro, Irish, and Ontario, for the most part), actually have wider-than-normal lanes. If you use only the default textures (as in, uninstall all other texture sets), they should line up properly.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Durfsurn

Well the second problem is solved but the former remains;

EDIT: Attached is the texture I am using.

memo

Do the paths show up on those tiles? If so, it is likely a problem with your models – for example, the normals might be inverted (check if you can hover the tiles with the query tool), or the models might have other flaws, or the exemplars might not link to the models properly.

If the paths don't show up on those three tiles – and assuming the paths are correct – it is likely a problem with your RUL0 entry. Perhaps an offset or something such that the puzzle piece ends up one tile off. Is it a coincidence that you formerly had three +'es and now have three missing tiles, albeit on the opposite half of the ramp?

Also, what did you do exactly to fix your previous problem? After all, your code looked fine and should not have had any impact on all the other puzzle pieces.

Durfsurn

[HighwayIntersectionInfo_0x0005FF1]
;Added by Durfsurn 07/09/2014
;RHW-8S Ramp Type F1 Outside Inverted - Entrance Ramp
Piece = 0.0, 0.0, 0, 0, 0x5FF10000
PreviewEffect = preview_rhw8sf1outsideinverted

CellLayout =...........
CellLayout =...........
CellLayout =....AA....<
CellLayout =....AA.....
CellLayout =....AA.....
CellLayout =...AAA.....
CellLayout =...........
CellLayout =...........
CellLayout =....^......

CheckType = A - dirtroad: 0x02000200

ConsLayout =...........
ConsLayout =...........
ConsLayout =....||....<
ConsLayout =....||.....
ConsLayout =....||.....
ConsLayout =...|||.....
ConsLayout =...........
ConsLayout =...........
ConsLayout =....^......

AutoTileBase = 0x5FF10000
ReplacementIntersection = 0, 0
PlaceQueryID = 0x5FF10000
Costs       = 410

[HighwayIntersectionInfo_0x00055FF1]
CopyFrom = 0x5FF1
Rotate = 1
[HighwayIntersectionInfo_0x00065FF1]
CopyFrom = 0x5FF1
Rotate = 2
[HighwayIntersectionInfo_0x00075FF1]
CopyFrom = 0x5FF1
Rotate = 3

This is my current RUL0 code (edited).

EDIT: I changed some things in the RUL0 code and got the code above. Now I have a similar but not as critical problem, it looks like an alpha texture issue.

memo

Compared to your texture, the cell layout is flipped. Try this:

[HighwayIntersectionInfo_0x0005FF1]
;Added by Durfsurn 07/09/2014
;RHW-8S Ramp Type F1 Outside Inverted - Entrance Ramp
Piece = 0.0, 0.0, 0, 0, 0x5FF10000
PreviewEffect = preview_rhw8sf1outsideinverted

CellLayout =...........
CellLayout =...........
CellLayout =....AA....<
CellLayout =....AA.....
CellLayout =....AA.....
CellLayout =....AAA.....
CellLayout =...........
CellLayout =...........
CellLayout =....^......

CheckType = A - dirtroad: 0x02000200

ConsLayout =...........
ConsLayout =...........
ConsLayout =....||....<
ConsLayout =....||.....
ConsLayout =....||.....
ConsLayout =....|||.....
ConsLayout =...........
ConsLayout =...........
ConsLayout =....^......

AutoTileBase = 0x5FF10000
ReplacementIntersection = 0, 0
PlaceQueryID = 0x5FF10000
Costs       = 410

[HighwayIntersectionInfo_0x00055FF1]
CopyFrom = 0x5FF1
Rotate = 1
[HighwayIntersectionInfo_0x00065FF1]
CopyFrom = 0x5FF1
Rotate = 2
[HighwayIntersectionInfo_0x00075FF1]
CopyFrom = 0x5FF1
Rotate = 3

Durfsurn

Quote from: memo on July 08, 2014, 11:04:26 PM
Compared to your texture, the cell layout is flipped. Try this:

snip

You sure on that memo? Shouldn't the place with the FARHW have the extra tile? BTW I haven't put in my paths yet, I was just trying to get it ingame first.

memo

Quote from: Durfsurn on July 08, 2014, 11:09:10 PM
You sure on that memo? Shouldn't the place with the FARHW have the extra tile? BTW I haven't put in my paths yet, I was just trying to get it ingame first.

Yes, but I have just seen that you edited your post after I had replied. So based on that, everything seems to be fine. The black rectangle is likely an issue with your model or the FSH texture.

Durfsurn

Any clue on how to fix it or should I wait until another NAMite comes along to answer?

Thanks for all you help NAMites :)

memo

I haven't seen this particular problem before, so I can't answer that. You should check the affected FSH and S3D file to see if there's anything odd.

If you don't find anything, send me a PM with the files and I'll see if I spot anything.

Durfsurn

G'day again everyone,

I am still finding it troublesome to get this piece done so I ask something of you NAMites. If one of you gets time could you make the ramp puzzle piece file and PM it to me so I can compare it to what I have got and what I need to do to get it working. I understand pathing could take some time so attched below is a blank dat with the pathing files I used. Of course you need the Autotilebase IID I used: 0x5FF10000. The original base texture I used is also attached.

Thanks once again to all you guys!
Durfsurn