• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedgren

Oh, ain't I a tease...

Silvio (Rayden - Rayden's Shosaloza Experiment), you get part of your wish.

Here's a small part of that pic at about 250%.

Now, when I've just said, "No photoshopping here, folks..."

Actually, the pic isn't photoshopped...

...I use PSP8 [linkie].

The pic is softened about 75%, with a few other default soften settings I don't know anything about.

Working hard on some briefing today...back around this eveing.

Have a great day!

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

sim1234

Hi David,

I'm in the process of reading 3RR from the very start and I'm about halfway through at the moment. I have to say that this CJ is absolutely amazing! &apls The step by step tutorials you make are fantastic and your attention to detail is brilliant.

I've learned how to do a lot of things in SC4 from 3RR so far and I'm sure I'll learn lots more in the coming weeks and months. Also, I've noticed that the personal replies you make to members' questions are very detailed which is also great as I learn a lot from your answers as well.

Anyway, I hope to get up to date with 3RR by the weekend and I'll then start to post here more often.

Keep up the excellent work!  :thumbsup:

-sim1234

Rayden

That's a lot better now. And I'm sure, after you pick the most suitable rock modd to your region, that it will look spectacular. :thumbsup:

Menotyou

Beautiful looking! A great place to visit. &apls &apls

Ajax

Boy, what a mistake!  I take a few days off from exploring 3RR and wound-up having to spend a couple of hours just to catch up.  David, you have been mighty busy!  When I last came out of the shadows you were exploring quad dimensions, etc...  There is simply too much to comment on all that has passed since my last post, so I will simply say thank you for all the beautiful pics and helpful information.  (I, too, prefer not to post a simple "Good Job", although I hold nothing against those who do  ;) , and may be guilty of this from time-to-time)  Now I just need to find a way to stay current with the frequency with which you update!  Oh, and congrats on the Admin thing.  Who better to enforce the rules than a lawyer?

James

Low Light

I recently went along to Simtropolis to catch up on what was going on there and to my surprise I learn that you were not continuing your superb work! But to my delight I discovered the link that brought me over here, to not only find your CJ...er...MD but also that Jeroni is running the show as well as continuing his superb and inspirational CJ...er...MD. Now I have another site forum to lurk around in and comment every once in a while (though this is a habit I need to kick).

Your attention to detail and dedication in your work has been impressive and I have to say that you are now one of the few SC4 Sages that inhabit this earth of ours that I can always come to for guidance on all matters SC4.

I salute you sir, and your work. I look forward to many more hours of inspiration, wisdom, and knowledge being passed down to mere wanna-be's such as myself.

Low Light (Lurker Extraordinaire) $%#Ninj2
"Don't take life too seriously, or you'll miss all the good bits"

bat

Wonderful waterfall_pictures!

dedgren

Hi, Low Light...

Good to have another 3RR Fact Checker

on board.  You should introduce yourself to Stephen (exodus101) [linkie].

...yes folks, that is in fact

Now...

QuoteI look forward to many more hours of inspiration, wisdom, and knowledge being passed down to mere wanna-be's such as myself.

I'm going to be blunt here- Oh, piffle!

It's just great that we all get to play this superb game together, albeit in cyberspace.  No wanna-be's at 3RR- just friends such as yourself and all the other 3RR Regulars*.

David

*Once again, a 3RR Regular is anyone who has commented at least once...

...hey, we got standards here...

here at SC4D or in 3RR-ST.

p.s.:  Oh, and in a complete moment of brain-flatulence I forget to include Stephen's "Exodus Falls" sign

in the above-linked post.  I've corrected that- I mean, why make 'em if you aren't going to use 'em?
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Gaston

Wow David. 
Quote from: dedgren on January 30, 2007, 08:57:57 AM

p.s.:  Oh, and in a complete moment of brain-flatulence I forget to include Stephen's "Exodus Falls" sign

A gaseous cranial expultion.   From you????     LOL     Well we all have um.   Hope you are having a great day.

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

Menotyou

A Brain-fart? That is the second time I heard that. I just didn't think I would hear it from you. :D

-Caleb

tkirch

Another great update.

Your tutorials really help out and give way to many new ideas I have now and hope to use in my SC4 experimentation.

Thanks for the inspiration.  The old road maps are great and I think in an earlier life you could of been a designer of one of those.  Your own map making skills are already becoming legendary.

kalanc69

Hey Dedgren,

I was just wondering if maybe you forgot about that tutorial you said you would post last week? Not to bring it up, but I am waiting with bated breath!! Nice work on your updates, your creativity never ceases to amaze me!!

Kalanc69

dedgren

A member posted the following comment a bit ago.  It was graciously withdrawn by him or her about as quick as it was posted, but the point is a very important one, so I'm placing it in this post, sans the commenter's name, for all to read and think about a bit.

QuoteWow, I'm not really sure how to respond... Mmmm While I certainly support and agree to follow the established guidelines set forth on this server I have to admit I find it a bit disturbing that we cannot even joke about something that we find a bit perturbing or frustrating to us. I for one have become very frustrated with the associated downtime of one particular server, and while I will not make it a habit of going out of my way to deride it or talk negatively about it I see NOTHING wrong with cracking a tasteful joke regarding my frustration with the current situation. To do as you imply puts a collar on us that limits our productive free speech and  freedom of expression. I personally found nik niks screen shot funny and making a valid point about why many people look for other places to supplement their information from that particular server. While we certainly don't want this server to become a den of rumors and complaints, I don't think completely limiting a person's right to express themselves in a positive way is an effective way to deal with any problem. I certainly enjoy your MD, and I will continue to come here to see what creative things you do next, but I must say that your previous message has somewhat "soured" my enthusiasm regarding this server.   /sad¬¬

I wrote out the following while the comment was still up, but when I went to post it, the comment was gone.  I have by now in fact even forgotten...

...darned old age...where'd I put my Geritol® [linkie]...

who sent it, but the point remains, so-

Hi, [anonymous]-

I'll respond to a few points you raised in your just-posted comment.  Please, anyone else who has the same concerns as our friend [anonymous] has so eloquently expressed, read as well.

First, I'm not the humor police.  I'm generally, if my jokes are any indication, not even a real good judge of what is funny and what isn't.  So as far as the broad issue of joking about things that are perturbing or frustrating, as long as it stays reasonable and is otherwise within the guidelines I wrote about here [linkie] it's not going to come up on my radar screen.

With specific reference to the "other server" issue, I presume you are talking about Simtropolis.  Again, I won't go into my issues with ST- if you want to know about them you can look at 3RR-ST while it's still over there or look up various posts I made by using the "View Posts" link of the ST "dedgren" member info window.  That, however, is a topic for over there- not for over here, because to air those issues over here accomplishes nothing.  I apply that same reasoning to the posts of others- hence guideline #2.

Why do I say that any reference, even a joking one, made that raises issues with or problems at another SC4 site lacks any purpose over here at SC4D?  It's because the focus of this website is on folks who have a passion and dedication for their SC4 hobby: i.e.: playing the game.  Now, that can take many forms.  It can be creating regions, developing custom content, making maps, doing a Mayor's Diary- you name it, if something is related to playing SC4 with any degree of seriousness, it's something that almost certainly is appropriate here, and something you will almost certainly find here.

What is broken or objectionable or troublesome on any given day on some other SC4 website, though, doesn't enhance playing SC4 even a little bit.  Even if you wrap it in humor.  The fact that a deprecating joke or reference is relatively innocuous, and I'd put both Nik-Nik and Serkanner's comments in that category, doesn't rescue same from this condition.  It's like the equivalent of light gossip, which is gossip nonetheless, and gossip has never done anything of which I am aware to further society's ends.

Plus, once you start, there's potentially no end.  An analogy frequently used by lawyers is "how did the elephant get into the room through that little tiny door."  The answer is, of course, a piece at a timeNik's pic might have just been a toenail, but where do you choose to draw the line?  After the first three or four such no big deal comments?  How does the person who supplies the straw that breaks the camel's back feel when a couple of folks have made comments indistinguishable from hers and yet here you have dedgren in full Administrator mode suddenly barking, "OK, enough's enough."  Far better never to let the fire start, than to have to put it out.

A fire is a good metaphor from another perspective in this regard.  I never know what might motivate people to comment in my MD.  Just a bit ago, I posted what I thought were an interestingly modified map and a nice sign.  I also made an offhand throwaway remark about brain-flatulence (on the part of yours truly).  Guess what the next couple of posts were about?  Most MDers/CJers have had the experience of really working hard on a great update, posting it, and then seeing the next 10 comments be about something completely unrelated that struck folks as funny or odd or otherwise worthy of note.  This is just what happens, and the person whose thread it is simply has to scratch the old head every so often, perhaps muttering faintly, "that just bites."  Airing ones issues with other SC4 sites, in my experience, attracts folks who want to throw in their own 2 cents, for whatever reason.  My approach simply eliminates this as a possibility.

This is getting long, and I'll move through the rest quickly.  Not to slight, mind you.  I'm happy to continue this with you or anyone who feels strongly by PM at reasonable mutual convenience.

QuoteTo do as you imply puts a collar on us that limits our productive free speech and  freedom of expression.

Remember that the concept of "free speech" and of "free expression" as rights (presumably under the U.S Constitution) apply only to the relations of the people and their government.  To say it gently, speech and expression here, in this completely private venue, are not free.  I believe Jeroni, although I do not speak for him, encourages people at SC4D to express themselves openly and candidly about issues and matters pertaining to SC4.  He has not, however, invited us to a free-for-all.

When you say free, I think of cost as well.  Ignoring the time jeroni spends on SC4D, he's also apparently doing this out of his own pocket- I haven't been asked for a nickel, or peseta, or Euro, or whatever.  I'm not going to hide behind the old, "Oh, suck it up- after all, this is free, isn't it?" line, but I will ask:  If jeroni is going to spend a finite amount of money on bandwidth for either great new custom content, such as is on the LEX, or on idle chatter about Simtropolis, which would you rather see him do?  In other words, what would you see taken off the LEX so that we can run a pic of some other site's server outage?

Quote...making a valid point...

The fact that something has validity doesn't make it fair game to talk about here.  It is a valid point that Arab-Israeli relations are in the toilet.  Should we address that situation on SC4D?- not on a bet.  There's plenty of appropriate places to do that.

QuoteI don't think completely limiting a person's right to express themselves in a positive way is an effective way to deal with any problem.

I'm not completely limiting anyone's right to do anything- I'm just saying that, in applying jeroni's rules (which I believe are based on perfectly good reasons for having them), those rights are limited here in using the SC4D forums.  You can PM me anytime if you want to take up this sort of thing up further.

QuoteI certainly enjoy your MD, and I will continue to come here to see what creative things you do next, but I must say that your previous message has somewhat "soured" my enthusiasm regarding this server.

Sigh.  I knew it was going to be difficult to be both a friend and an Admin...  That said, I'll do everything I can to work to restore that enthusiasm...

...within jeroni's rules.

Thanks for reading this long, but important post.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Menotyou

A very well written post. I agree with it all, this is not the place to complain about ST.

-Caleb

Sorry trying to type with one hand

Grneyes

David,

Your tutorials are great! I have learned so much from reading this, both at ST and here. It was great reading about Rte. 12! Rte. 12 runs straight thru my hometown and I know it fondly (and not so fondly thanx to traffic and construction).

Have you thought about putting your tutorials all in the same place for easier referencing?

MaryBeth

mightygoose

%confuso man your city journal is the only one i check more than once a day and i still cant keep up. there is just soo much involvement...
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

jeronij

David, I just cant second your post, specially this part:
QuoteTo say it gently, speech and expression here, in this completely private venue, are not free.  I believe Jeroni, although I do not speak for him, encourages people at SC4D to express themselves openly and candidly about issues and matters pertaining to SC4.  He has not, however, invited us to a free-for-all.

Thank for pointng this out. I do really hope that this is the first and the last time that such advices are necessary. Let ourselves "openly and candidly discuss about issues and matters pertaining to SC4"  ;)  :D
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

thundercrack83

I won't waste too much time proliferating the situation, but I'd like to say that your remarks about the anonymous post were right on (I'm a fan of metaphor). And to those who won't be coming back here because they feel they've been insluted by your enforcement of the rules, it's truly a shame. But I'm sure they'll be missing some great work, and this 3RR resident (if I am worthy of such an honor) won't be going anywhere. Anyway...

The photoshopped shot of Exodus Falls looks great, and it seems that at the rate things are going around here, the old bottle of Wite-Out is going to be getting a lot of exercise on the 3RR Map, with Shadow Canyon Road, Piazza de Meldolin, and my personal favorite...Thunder Bay (thank you, again!).

See you next update!

Dustin

Shadow Assassin

Wow, I'm honoured. I didn't know I got post 300. :P

I look forward to seeing what you do with Shadow Canyon. But looking at your previous work, I know for sure it'll be a wonderful job. Exodus Falls looks great, too.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

kalanc69

I think your response to the anonymous post was well written and for the most part right on Dedgren, but I must take issue with thundercrack who implied that the anonymous poster was insulted by the enforcement of the rules...I didn't get that feeling or see that expressed anywhere in the post...Anyways, I am really enjoying watching your region unfold...and I am learning countless things that I will apply to my first ever region..:)

Kalanc69