• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM: El-Rail over Avenue

Started by memo, March 08, 2013, 09:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

droric

Quote from: droric on January 15, 2014, 04:49:01 PM
Quote from: vinlabsc3k on January 15, 2014, 04:44:31 PM
Sorry if already asked, but there isn't a transition ramp between ELR over AVE and GLR in AVE. ()what()

You are correct.  There currently is not a transition piece between EL-Rail Over AVE to GLR in Ave.  I find a piece like that is much needed so perhaps once i finish up a couple other projects I will look into making a piece like this for a future release.

Well I just finished this up.  Something to look forward to in a future update :)

PC Specs: i2700k @ 4.9 Ghz, 16 GB @ 1600-8-9-8-16, 2X GTX 580 SLI, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3R, 120 GB Vertex 3 SDD, 3 TB RAID1, 1200W SilentGold, Antec P180B case, Win 8 x64 Pro

Kuewr665

vinlabsc3k

Good to view the progress!! :thumbsup:

I hope that a new NAM is developed sooner this time to implement this ramp and the RRW! &hlp
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

Gugu3

Amazing stuff Droric! &apls
Thank you :thumbsup:

mrdobalina

Great Droric, that is exactly the missing link I was looking for! It will be a nice way to connect GLR to El-rail, and it will make it possible to let the trains leave the tram-avenue without crossing the road traffic.
Looking forward to find it in the NAM!

droric

Thanks for the kind comments from everyone!  This puzzle piece was the first one I created using what has been called a 'morph curve'.  This piece will automatically update the texture for the curved road surface if the texture for the avenue is changed.  The curved texture is achieved using some curved geometry and custom UVW mapping.  I plan on using this process whenever possible as it makes it much easier on people who create alternate texture sets as they do not need to account for these.

Here is a quick example with the white marker lines colored yellow.  This was an earlier version of the piece before I had the pylon in.

PC Specs: i2700k @ 4.9 Ghz, 16 GB @ 1600-8-9-8-16, 2X GTX 580 SLI, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3R, 120 GB Vertex 3 SDD, 3 TB RAID1, 1200W SilentGold, Antec P180B case, Win 8 x64 Pro

max19950324

Guys I have a question: Now that we have a basic system of this, is it possible to make a diagonal entry like ElRail over Road does? You know, that transition piece that I can drag ElRail diagonally from the transition piece.

ei8htx

Quote from: max19950324 on January 31, 2014, 10:42:30 PM
Guys I have a question: Now that we have a basic system of this, is it possible to make a diagonal entry like ElRail over Road does? You know, that transition piece that I can drag ElRail diagonally from the transition piece.

I tried this with the avenue, and it does it, but it's graphically missing a piece (not sure if it actually works, I undid it).  Doesn't work with road 4. 

Can't wait till the El rail to GLR in avenue piece is available.  Will make it way easier to then immediately transition to a subway in avenue to get under things like highways.  I don't suppose this can be made available as a separate download?

Anyways, I'd like to thank everyone for making this possible.  I'm using it quite extensively in 2 of my cities already.  Thanks guys!

droric

A diagonal entry piece is planned although it will need to be a puzzle (i believe).  The reason the puzzle piece can't be distributed without a new NAM is that the controller code needs to change for the puzzle piece to be made available.

ei8htx

Droric, would you be willing to release the El Rail to GLR in avenue as a separate download?

MandelSoft

He can't. It would require an update of the NAM Controller, which is not easy for the casual user (frankly, only NAM members know how to do that and it's not that easy).
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

ei8htx

Quote from: MandelSoft on February 22, 2014, 02:42:38 PM
He can't. It would require an update of the NAM Controller, which is not easy for the casual user (frankly, only NAM members know how to do that and it's not that easy).

Oh I misread that as applying to 45 degree offshoot pieces.  Sorry, thanks.

z

Quote from: ei8htx on February 22, 2014, 06:53:42 PM
Oh I misread that as applying to 45 degree offshoot pieces.  Sorry, thanks.

It applies to both.  Most things the NAM Team does with networks require changes to the controller.

Crimsonsky80

Is there a stand alone download for the EL Rail mod instead of getting the Whole NAM?

droric

The only distribution method for receiving the El-Rail mod seen in this thread is to download the NAM package.  You are not required to install every component of the NAM and can customize which features you need.  This is due to the complexity in installing the mods where loading order and other settings need to be carefully managed by the installer.

Also please note that a few pieces shown in this thread are not available yet for NAM 32 as they were developed shortly after release.

mrsmartman

Your mod is great. Thanks a lot. Despite the noise of trains, I like the el so much as it was really innovative and cyber to run trains on top of busy roads. Fast and efficient. Usually, the older el runs on road 4 and modern el runs on avenue. Looking forward to more pieces in the future.

deora

Sweet,love the new El Avenue to GLR Avenue piece.This will surely help developing the city and also saves a lot of space as an elegant ramp instead of make the El bending left or right off the Avenue and then attach a transition piece or something.
I assume there will also be a few more stations for the future release,right?
Don`t understand me wrong,the glass MTA Station looks neat (love the nightlighting) but sometimes just won`t fit the surrounding cityscape.
My favs would be the New York like Stations used for the El Rail on Road double Network.
Besides that,i really appreciate the great effort and hard work that all you guys put into this game.

kildjan

Hi, I'm not sure if the previous answer was for the diagonal transition or for the GLR avenue to el rail over avenue transition...
Is the GLR avenue to el rail over avenue transition available for download somewhere ?
I updated my NAM a few weeks ago and would love to insert some el rail over avenue in place of some GLR avenue sections, so this would really help me...

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: kildjan on July 06, 2014, 02:00:07 PM
Is the GLR avenue to el rail over avenue transition available for download somwhere ?

It's currently unavailable; you'd have to wait for the next NAM update.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

kildjan

I installed the last 34 version of NAM, glad to see the el-rail over avenue to GLR is there, but I still cannot find any station for the el-rail over avenue network.
I looked into NAM and also for separate addons.
What I would like is something similar to other el-rail/GLR networks, meaning :
- a simple station
- a station with bus stop
- a bus stop without station
And maybe :
- a station with subway stop
- a subway stop without station
- a station with bus stop and subway stop

I searched on this site, other sites, even Google, but could not find any station, just some network pieces.
Problem is that putting the pieces to convert the el-rail to glr and then put some glr on avenue stations takes way too much cases to make it a viable solution.
I'm not a fan of the separate el-rail station either, I would like to keep the whole thing on the road cases, for me that's a major point of the NAM networks.
If there is no station at all, maybe some 'el-rail over avenue' to 'el-rail over road' transition pieces could do the job, but that would need el-rail over ONE WAY road pieces to keep the avenue below.

Any suggestion ?