• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

.:: Jakarta, capital of Indonesia ::. On Hold

Started by derwilly, June 24, 2008, 02:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derwilly

UPDATE 3 - PANTAI MUTIARA, THE EXCLUSIVE WATERFRONT OF JAKARTA

Welcome to my third update.

This time we will take a different approach. We are moving to North Jakarta to Pantai Mutiara, one of the pioneer water developments. Pantai Mutiara, "Pearl Beach", was developed around the 80's. It is a development that once envisioned upscale residences and condominiums in several islands with private piers, marinas and beaches. Of course, as usual in Indonesia, the project was visionary but upon its completion it ended up being more of a trouble than anything else.

Nowadays it is still one of the most expensive areas in Jakarta, but the pollution of the waters carried by the rivers flowing to Pantai Mutiara have made the dream of living by sea something closer to a nightmare. Floods take their toll yearly when those rivers, like giant sewers, bring the garbage of several millions to the very doorstep. Plus, slums have spread merciless almost wall-to-wall to some of those mansions.

Part I - Satellite pictures

3.1 Pantai Mutiara, in the middle, stretches north from Pluit, a Chinese enclave (which will be reviewed in a future update). The Regatta, a massive luxury complex is currently being built at the northern edge.

3.2 This is perhaps one of the areas I had to rescale the most, for if I made the islands bigger, they would look out of proportion compared to the rest of the city. Notice that I picked the darkest water mod I found, in an attempt to recreate the one of the most polluted urban waters on Earth. Other parts you see, like the harbors or the water reservoirs I leave for other updates.

Part II - Aerial shots

Part III - Some close-ups

3.12 This is a view from the canal to the only condominiums built to date. In the background, however, you can see that the construction of The Regatta already started.

3.14 These are some actual examples of the villas you can find in Pantai Mutiara. They are rather big although do not boast large gardens. With around 8 rooms, a couple of maid rooms, garage for a bunch of cars, the price range usually goes from $300,000 to $500,000.

3.16 This is a picture I found of a real estate agent selling villas in Pantai Mutiara. Don't you think they went way too far with the Photoshop?  ;D

Part IV - Construction of The Regatta

The Regatta is a colossal development with 320 rooms in its luxury hotel tower, and a total of 920 luxury apartments in its 10 residential towers all spread across a huge 99,363 sqm site area. It will also include an extensively landscaped 25,600 sqm water park. You can find more information here.

3.18 Again, a light touch of Photoshop...

3.19 Unfortunately, the towers are still under construction, so this is the only thing you will see  :P

This was it! Hope you enjoyed and I'll see you next week with Update 4: Monas, the center of Jakarta
Indonesia: land of smiles, home of chaos, nation of disorder. My favorite place on Earth!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66788325@N00/collections/72157600071762388/

rooker1

What an incredible update. 
I'm loving how you compare the real life pics with the ingame ones. 
You have done a very good job at replicating the city. 
This is fast becoming one of my favourite MDs.
No need to tell you how realistic your MD is.... ;)
Robin  &apls
Call me Robin, please.

sebes

Quote from: rooker1 on July 18, 2008, 10:38:29 AM
This is fast becoming one of my favourite MDs.

Hear here - I cannot agree more. This update is again showing the perfect recreation that you are making. Man - I do admire your skills. The variety of residences and boats that you show in this picture is making me cry, how beautifull.

You get an award from me for this update:

&dance
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

warszawa

This MD is already one of my favourite ones ;D

I love how you are trying to do the exact same replica! And using real life the pictures to prove it. :thumbsup:

Very cool to see that almost any house built next to the waterfront has its own harbour along with a yatch! The Regatta is coming on nicely! :)

Looking forwards to seeing more of your splendid work mate! &apls

Alex :thumbsup:
Visit my Warsaw, Poland MD.

bat

Fantastic pictures there of your wonderful city! And I can agree with the other - really nice MD! :thumbsup:

Looking forward to update 4 next week... ;)

bohort

Good  :thumbsup:
It's diversified, there are CBD, suburbs, beach, port...  ::)
Moreover you compare your city with Jakarta, it's great !  :thumbsup:
We have only planet ! Stop Global Warming !
I'm French, so sorry for my bad english !

feliwi

wow, wonderful update again, you gave me a lot of inspiration for my lots! I personally love your overview shots

art128

very cool update here  :thumbsup:
it's very well achieve  :thumbsup:
can't wait the next update  :thumbsup:
Arthur
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

derwilly

wow guys! this is overwhelming... +900 visits in less than a month. I'm really glad you are enjoying this MD. The further I go, the newer ideas I have, so stay put for some months of surprises ahead of you! Thanks to everyone!!

DaViru$ : thanks! I just received your PM now. Most of the houses are from THIS dependency pack (which is locked but links you to the new one) and from SOMY. You can get the slums HERE. I have used all the houses as props in my own lots. hope this helps!

TheSixCents : thanks for replying at my MD! I'm fixing the perspective in my new updates...

thundercracker83 : thank you very much Dustin! no problem taking long, just make sure you don't miss my next updates  :thumbsup:

Rooker : thanks Robin, this means a lot to me! next updates will be cool too, you'll see  ;D

sebes : hehe thank you, but please, no crying here! oh and thanks again but... can I change your gift for a fresh Heineken instead?  :D :D :D

Warszawa : a great honor to be one of your favorites! thanks, man! I just wish somebody would come up with a nice Regatta BAT...

bat : thank you very much! stay put, next update is in the oven and almost ready...

bohort : yep you'll find virtually anything in my MD... and I still have a couple of undisclosed surprises... you'll have to follow my MD!

feliwi : thanks! I'm glad I inspired you!

art128 : hehe, just have some patiente! thanks!  :thumbsup:

Stay put for the next update!

Indonesia: land of smiles, home of chaos, nation of disorder. My favorite place on Earth!

nova vesfalo

wow ! It's soo impresive, very hard work, the slums, the wealthy districk; even the dutch part everything is amazing ! Very inspirationing !

derwilly

UPDATE 4 - MERDEKA SQUARE, THE CENTER OF JAKARTA

Welcome to my fourth update!

Merdeka Square is a huge plain located in the center of Jakarta. This square is surrounded by important government buildings such as Istana Merdeka (the presidential palace), Indonesia's Supreme Court and various government ministries. It also features the Monumen Nasional or Monas in the middle of it, Gambir central station, the Masjid Istiqlal and the cathedral of Jakarta.

Monas was built under the government of Sukarno, Indonesia's first president, as a symbol of the independence of this new nation. Since it was built during the last years of Sukarno, before he was deposed by general Suharto, Monas is also referred by the locals as Sukarno's last erection.

Again, I had to rescale this entire area pretty much to half its original size.

PART I - Aerial shots

4.2 Here you can see Merdeka Square and Monas in the middle, the beginning of Thamrin road running southwest, Senen neighborhood on the east and Pasar Baru in the north-east. Notice the amount of canals criss-crossing this area. Unfortunately, the skyscrapers of Thamrin will be reviewed in another update, as well as the old Pasar Baru.

4.3 Aerial picture of Merdeka, from north to south, towards the financial district

PART II - Monas

4.6 A close up on Monas

PART III - Buildings along Merdeka Square

4.7 This is the front side of the Istana Merdeka, part of the presidential complex. If you want to know just a little bit more about the palace, its current resident the president Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono and the situation of Indonesia, I encourage you to watch this short but interesting video .

4.9 Government buildings

4.10 Some rare Dutch buildings, still to be found behind the maze of houses

4.11 Small mosaic showing the presidential complex and Monas

PART IV - Religious buildings

4.12 Masjid Istiqlal is Indonesia's national mosque. It was built in 1975 and became Southeast Asia's largest mosque. More than 120,000 people can congregate at the mosque at one time. Although Indonesia has an overwhelming Muslim majority, making it the largest Muslim nation in the world, the country is not an Islamic state.

The Indonesian Constitution states that "every person shall be free to choose and to practice the religion of his choice" and "guarantees all persons the freedom of worship, each according to his own religion or belief". The government, however, officially only recognizes six religions, namely Islam, Protestantism, Catholicism, Hinduism, Buddhism and Confucianism.

In this picture you can see the Mosque as viewed from Monas. In the background you can see the tall condominiums built along Kemayoran's former airport site and even farther the cranes of the Tanjung Priok harbor. Yes, that will all come in future updates  ;)

4.14 You can fit in here more than 100,000 people...

4.15 Just across Gambir central station there's Immanuel Church

4.17 And sitting next to Masijd Istiqlal, Jakarta's Cathedral, inaugurated in 1901.

This was it, my friends. Hope you are still liking this scenic and cultural tour of Jakarta.  :thumbsup:

BONUS

I know some of you may be craving for some skyscrapers... well patience, my friends, they are coming soon. And in vast amounts!  ;D

This, for instance, is a snapshot of the start of the Thamrin-Sudirman axis

art128

Wow  :o there is here an extraordinarly update  &apls  great work on the realism  :thumbsup:
Arthur
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

sebes

Indeed - an extraordinairy update again. It's amazing how real looking you can recreate Jakarta in SC4. The roads/avenues that you use are exellent. This is a lovely MD. Thanks for showing and sharing  :thumbsup:
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

rooker1

Call me Robin, please.

pagenotfound

you just love to impress people ;D

including myself. Its like Ive been teleported there

&apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls
Im back baby! Everybody do the Bendah!

bat

Excellent new update there! And the first sc4-picture is looking really beautiful! Superb area!
Looking forward to more...

...this should be my 5450th post...

warszawa

Oh My Godfather!

The Square looks devine! especially with the glittering skyscrapers surrounding it. The mosaic is a nice touch.
Looking forwards to seeing the Thamrin-Sudirman updates more than ever!
Beautifully created derwilly &apls

Alex :thumbsup:

derwilly

Again, thanks everyone for all the comments!! I sincerely hope that you enjoy reading this MD as much as I do publishing it.

nova vesfalo: thanks! I'm glad if I can inspire anyone!

stocktons_pimp: doesn't that say it all... hehe thanks!

art128: thanks Arthur!

sebes: thank you very much! you know how hard it can be but it's always rewarding!

rooker1: thanks Robin! that godzilla-smiley is an honor  :D

pagenotfound: I may love to impress people and show off a little bit... but I'm not the only one! ;)

bat: thank you sir! more is coming, you'll see

warszawa: thanks Alex! I think you have waited enough, so I decided that Thamrin will be the next update  :thumbsup:

Ok, I have now good news and bad news.

Good news is that in my next update you'll see the first of probably several updates of the financial district. Since Jakarta has several major skyscraper areas sprawling south it would be impossible to review them all in one update.

Bad news is that I'm leaving on a roadtrip with two friends of mine till next week, so no updates this week! sorry for that  :'(

warszawa

Have a well earned deserved break from Sim City 4 derwilly :thumbsup: