• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Durfsurn

A sneek peek into what I'm doing with that:

I'm thinking of covering;
- TLA-9 to TLA-7
- AVE-8 to AVE-6
- TLA-7 to RD-6
- TLA-5 to RD-4
- NRD-4 to RD-4 and AVE-4 (Does it even need one I can't remember)
- RD-4 to AVE-2
- NRD-4 to AVE-2

I think if I can do those I'll come back and ask for which other ones need most attention.

Cheers,
Billy

EDIT: Also let me know if any of these are already done - I haven't played the game in so long I can't remember which ones already have transitions.

Tarkus

Thanks, Billy! 

Quote from: Durfsurn on October 14, 2016, 07:45:11 PM
I'm thinking of covering;
- TLA-9 to TLA-7
- AVE-8 to AVE-6
- TLA-7 to RD-6
- TLA-5 to RD-4
- NRD-4 to RD-4 and AVE-4 (Does it even need one I can't remember)
EDIT: Also let me know if any of these are already done - I haven't played the game in so long I can't remember which ones already have transitions.

The five points above do exist already (NRD-4-to-RD-4 and AVE-4 were just made, though the NRD-4-to-RD-4 has the "aggressive" end).  RD-4-to-AVE-2 and NRD-4-to-AVE-2 don't exist yet, though.

-Alex

MushyMushy

Keeping this NWM hype train alive  ::):

Note for those who don't know: The two textures that look "chopped off" are simply symmetrical transitions, so those two textures are transitioning to two OWR-1 networks with a 1-tile gap in between. Because of this it would be redundant to have identical mirrored textures.   

Personally I really love to see all this excitement about the NWM since I use it myself quite frequently. After a long time collecting dust it looks like the NWM is going to get brought into the modern era of the NAM (great compatibility, draggable replacements for PPs, WRCs, etc). Really exciting stuff. The level of enthusiasm that this community generates for an (at this point) ancient game makes my day. ;D

eggman121

Great work Mushy :thumbsup:

I would love to work with you on an in development project that would tie in nicely with the Road to OWR 1 transitions you have made there  ;D

MRCs will also come to the NWM sooner rather than later. I am really excited about their potential.

I too am on the bandwagon for more NWM development!

Exciting times!

-eggman121

gn_leugim

well, I just had a night of sleep and Durfsurn is already attacking it :o

I?ll try to tackle  AVE-6-to-RD-4 and RD-4-to-AVE-2, maybe today, but can't promise much though as I have an important work due to Monday morning and there is still a lot to do. I'll have such a nice weekend :|

Durfsurn

This is what I got so far gn_leugim but I don't like some of them. They definitely could be better.

Cheers,
Billy

gn_leugim

Like I said i've only worked a bit on the RD-4-to-AVE-2, but I went for a shorter transition (1x3), while yours look like 1x4 no?

Donno if I'll finished this today, got to move on business stuff :p

compdude787

All these transitions are looking pretty good!!
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

gn_leugim

Kinda finished the transition. There is still some tweaks to do here and there, namely hue, mostly hue I think.

a side not, the texture is made from scratch, hence adjustments in the hue/saturation/brightness and so may be needed. but tell me your opinion

chers, GnL

mgb204

Depending on how you created the texture, such changes may not be necessary. What I'd do is layer the original NRD-4 and AVE-2 textures over the respective ends. Then I'd merge those into the texture you have now and using the smudge tool (PS) to blend this layer into your new texture. That way the two ends that connect to the respective networks will always blend perfectly.

gn_leugim

Quote from: mgb204 on October 16, 2016, 12:10:54 PM
Depending on how you created the texture, such changes may not be necessary. What I'd do is layer the original NRD-4 and AVE-2 textures over the respective ends. Then I'd merge those into the texture you have now and using the smudge tool (PS) to blend this layer into your new texture. That way the two ends that connect to the respective networks will always blend perfectly.

I've made differently from your way, but indeed, yours much better, shall do it next. thanks!

gn_leugim

I've been working on the RD4-Ave6 transition, and I have a rough draft of it. donno why, but I don't fell like is ok  :bomb:. your opinions?

(the picture is 4x3 tiles)

APSMS

Well, the first and biggest problem I foresee is that the RD-4 network is two tiles, and AVE-6 is 3 tiles, which means that you can't have a symmetrical transition.

That and the Texture appears to be that of the NRD-4, not the RD-4.

Unless that's what you meant? &Thk/(

I think maybe in this case you can make the transition longer so that there is more time to merge and there's less risk of accidents.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

MushyMushy

I'm inclined to agree with APSMS about the length of the transition.  NRD-4 and AVE-6 are such vastly different networks I would say the transition should be 4 tiles in length instead of 2 so it comes off as smooth.

gn_leugim

Quote from: APSMS on October 23, 2016, 01:19:43 PM
Well, the first and biggest problem I foresee is that the RD-4 network is two tiles, and AVE-6 is 3 tiles, which means that you can't have a symmetrical transition.

That and the Texture appears to be that of the NRD-4, not the RD-4.

Unless that's what you meant? &Thk/(

I think maybe in this case you can make the transition longer so that there is more time to merge and there's less risk of accidents.

Jez, was so worried I would get the right Ave5 textures and I got the wrong RD4  :facepalm: but well, is one more done anyway :)
Quote from: MushyMushy on October 23, 2016, 01:30:39 PM
I'm inclined to agree with APSMS about the length of the transition.  NRD-4 and AVE-6 are such vastly different networks I would say the transition should be 4 tiles in length instead of 2 so it comes off as smooth.

I kinda have the same feeling as you guys, but, on the other hand, would be a rather long transition for a non highway network, or so I though. I can make it longer ofc.  :thumbsup:

Vizoria

The RD4 to Ave6 transition needs to be probably five or six tiles long. The reason being is how the lanes tighten into the RD4. Fantastic work with what you're doing by the way.

Also may I suggest curving the transitions from the 1-tile to 2-tile networks? They don't have to be symmetrical but the curves need to be roughly S-shaped or half-chicaned and rather elongated.. The Ave2 to Mave4 transition would benefit from this the most.

gn_leugim

Quote from: Vizoria on October 23, 2016, 03:57:27 PM
The RD4 to Ave6 transition needs to be probably five or six tiles long. The reason being is how the lanes tighten into the RD4. Fantastic work with what you're doing by the way.

Also may I suggest curving the transitions from the 1-tile to 2-tile networks? They don't have to be symmetrical but the curves need to be roughly S-shaped or half-chicaned and rather elongated.. The Ave2 to Mave4 transition would benefit from this the most.

Hey,

Sorry, but i'm not sure I understood well your second part of the suggestion, you are talking about making curved transitions?

noahclem

Excellent work  &apls  It's great to see all these new options appearing in this area!

Quote from: Vizoria on October 23, 2016, 03:57:27 PM(snip) The reason being is how the lanes tighten into the RD4. (snip)

A problem virtually eliminated with my mod's geometry (NRD4 lanes are ~94% the width of RD4/MAVE4 and virtually all other networks aside from roads and OWR)--wish I could get more people developing content to be interested in that standard....

mgb204

Ah, the unified set of road textures, that's something I'd like to see, it's the dream if you will.

I'm afraid though, somewhere along the way with TGN, SWN, two SAM networks and all my other texture mods, I simply suffered from texture-burn out. So starting on such a big undertaking right now, not for me.

noahclem

Quote from: mgb204 on October 25, 2016, 03:09:12 PM
Ah, the unified set of road textures, that's something I'd like to see, it's the dream if you will.

I'm afraid though, somewhere along the way with TGN, SWN, two SAM networks and all my other texture mods, I simply suffered from texture-burn out. So starting on such a big undertaking right now, not for me.

Understandable--amazing you were able to release all the amazing stuff you've done without going mad :D  I can sympathize with texture burnout as it's already happened to me multiple times (sometimes coterminus with an RL-necessitated break). While RHW re-geometry has been executed multiple times I guess it's vast current size wasn't an issue at that point.

I think I'm also a bit slower than you. I've never expected anyone else to join me but it would be a nice gesture of confidence if new NWM, etc, stuff was being developed with the widths I've reasoned out. It does seem though that Willy's process with RRW, largely independent besides consultation and advice, will need to be repeated by me if I expect to get my project to the point of full public release.