• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SC4 Dat Packer

Started by wouanagaine, January 16, 2007, 05:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wouanagaine

Quote from: Pat on November 28, 2008, 08:03:34 AM
I bet you that could be my problem is where I am pushing it to hard as what I was trying to do is repack what was Datpacked before...

OK my specs on the computer are as is:

Emachines T3302
AMD Sempron Processor 3300+
2.0  ghz

HD 160 gb ata

mem 512 ddr sdram

OK the specs on the folders I was trying to DatPack with the 2008 version are:

• Folder One: 276 mb
  • Folder Two: 553 mb
  • Folder Three: 178 mb
  • Folder Four: 621 mb

Yes, DP is not meant to pack already packed stuff as it will have a hard time to read a big file ( ie bigger than your RAM ), and with 512 Mb I can't for sure guarantee it will succeed with your normal plugins

Quote from: TheTeaCat on November 28, 2008, 10:39:17 AM
When I installed DP2008 (+ required deps) on the first run I got

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 2701, in OnStart
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 2358, in RecurseAllFilesFull
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 2450, in BuildIt
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 2175, in WriteADat
WindowsError: [Errno 8] Not enough storage is available to process this command

My machine specs are
Intel4 1.8GHz
2 gig ddr memory
2x120 Hdd over 40 gig free on each drive
Running windows XP sp3

At the time the only thing in my plugin folder was all my dependcies recently installed from the LEX DVD.
The program hung once the report appeared and had to use task manager to close.

I then realised I still had the old DP installed so I removed all copies, rebooted and reinstalled DP2008.
It ran fine and packed everything. From 1.8 gig to 1.6 gig. Fired up the game (using only the new packed files) which took 7 mins to get to region view using the new packed files &mmm

Thats not right I thought  ()sad()

Out with the packed and in with the unpacked, time to region view 1.35 mins.
Hmmm. Ok another test packed the rest of the contents of the DVD. (1.24 gig to 1.06gig)

Fire up game with packed dependencies and packed plugins time to region view 11m48s
time to load an empty tile 5m45s

With unpacked dependencies and unpacked plugins  time to region view 5m21s
time to load an empty tile 2m37s

With unpacked dependencies and packed plugins  time to region view 3m11s
time to load an empty tile 1m27s

At the moment I am using the last choice as its the fastest ;)

Just thought you'd like to know ;)

Regards
Derry
Very strange result  ()what()  ???, however the difference between the first test can be explained by cached files
I think you should run a defrag

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

Pat

ty stef!!! I did manage a work around and did a fresh dat pack with the file that wasnt compressed, it worked like a charm from there!!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

0rion79

Hello all,

I write here looking for help.

At last, I've achieved my goal in customizing SC4, so I've used Datpacker ver 6 ('cause ver.7 was unavaileable due to a bug with Vista).

Sadly, I have seen that it does compress EVERY folder, including a_Cam or z_Euro Road Textures folders that - by intuition - should not be compressed, but this is a minor backdraw.

Instead, when I've placed ALL of the files that i wished to be compressed in one folder, the program has always quit to desktop, showing a message error that I have not been able to copy and report here. But it was something about memory, virtual "something" and stuff...

Only once the program has saved this log:
QuoteTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 656, in OnStart
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 360, in RecurseAllFilesFull
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 109, in __init__
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 495, in LogError
  File "wx\_core.pyo", line 11399, in Append
MemoryError

Runtime Error Virtual library

Anyway, spliting the load of work among several subfolders, I have managed to complete the packing process, but the game looks SLOWER than before, not faster, and there are some files that I have not been able to compress, that caused errors.
They are:
QuoteTB2_CameraLightRigHuge_fixed_v1.gmax
.DS_Store
._.DS_Store
NDEX DA MEGA Pack Vol01
NDEX DA MEGA Pack Vol02
NDEX DA MEGA Pack Vol03
Note that there are multiple copies of DS_Store files, obtained together with Landmarks from Maxis side, in MacOS version (the only ones that I could legally get).

Any hint? thank you!

BarbyW

TB2_CameraLightRigHuge_fixed_v1.gmax is a file used only in gMax and should not be in your plugins. The .ds files are a Mac file and also should be deleted.
Try the new DatPacker 2008 as that has the options to choose which folders to pack and also will not allow dat files that are too big. They will split folders on the fly to give optimum sized dats which should be kept like that rather than trying to pack into huge dats.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

0rion79

Thank you: I will! And, in case of troubles, I will post here :)

BarbyW

BTW you will find the new version of DatPacker under wouanagine's name on the LEX as he updated the old version instead of uploading a different one.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

0rion79

Everything went fine... maybe SC4 is a bit slower to load, but DURING the game it is much faster.
I have just some more questions and I apologize if I'm asking something already discussed, but in over 30 pages it is difficult to find what I need.

1st - There is a set of folders that have special names and that I know that must not be moved inside the process tree.
They are:
Quotea_CAM
X-Ports
z_CAM
z_Euro Road Textures Mod
ZZ_PEG SEAPORTS
z-Z's mod - no datpack
Except the last one, how can I deal with these files?

2nd - Is it possible to add some files to previously packed files? EG, I have just noticed another brown box from CAM, so a new plug-in that I would compress. Should I start over?

3rd - What is the "include only useful TGI" option? The game looks running fine, but some files have been excluded and marked as not necessary.

wouanagaine

1st: despites all claims, there is nothing that force you to not pack everything
      if you want to not pack them, just unselect thoses folders, or pack them and remove the created files for them

2nd: just put your normal folders back, add the new files, then rerun SC4DP, it will repack only the minimum amount of folder ( ie only those in which you have added files )

3nd: this option is for removing all non usefull entries in a DAT file. Thoses entries are used for PIM or LE mainly, but not at all needed by SC4. So by removing them, you'll get a bit less to load

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

JoeST

hey wou, I was just wondering how you use (and if there is) command like options? also it has been reported to me by someone that the TGI option crashes the game. I couldnt test this myself.

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

wouanagaine

There is no command line option
And I'm not aware the 'remove useless TGI' has been problematic

New Horizons Productions

nerdly_dood

I have a problem with MSVCP71.dll... I downloaded it and installed it in my system32 folder, and then installed Datpacker 08, but when I try to run Datpacker it says it can't find MSVCP71.dll. I restarted but I get the same problem. Is the DLL supposed to be installed in a different folder?
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

wouanagaine

Sorry for late reply

The dll should be installed on the DatPacker folder

New Horizons Productions

nerdly_dood

Thanks a million - even if it is a little late.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

SimGoober

Alright, I just have to make an embarassing admition; I didn't use DATPacker until a couple days ago.   :(

To be fair, many months ago when it was new I used it, and was impressed. Then I left the game for a while, and forgot about it.  When I came back, I had a new computer, and downloaded all the updated versions of things and said to myself "hey, most of these are already in big, mega packs, so why should I bother?"

Well....

After numerous CTD problems, I almost gave up.  Then I tried this wonderful tool again, and presto!  ALL the CTD problems have vanished.  Not one in 3 days, and I used to average one about every 20 minutes.  AND the game plays faster as well.  I found myself playing for 6 hours today... by accident.  I was having too much fun again.

Anyhow, to anyone out there who doesn't think this tool will make much difference, try it!  You will be amazed...
When life just blows ... Fukitol!

Pat

And a addict is reborn again!!! hehehe SG its a great tool for sure indeed!!!  I know I love the Datpacker and that is what brought me here to Devo almost 2 yrs ago now!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

wouanagaine

Hey Goober, nice to know I contributed to make you play by accident :)
thanks for the testimonial

New Horizons Productions

jman47

hey wats up im having a bit of a problem with the datpacker, all of my plugin subfolders work fine exept one, where i get this error-

QuoteTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 2200, in WriteADat
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 1879, in Copy
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 1779, in IsBinary
AttributeError: Examplar instance has no attribute 'sig'

can you help me out pls :)

recyclerman

Firstly, my apologies if this has been previously asked and answered.  I have become quite cross-eyed looking for any mention of my issue.

I have all of my plugins in a game folder on another drive as well as the game itself.  I ran the Dat Packer program and it worked fine, found the plugins folder in the C drive "Documents and settings" (of which I have two files I hadn't moved yet) and packed them as it should.  My long winded question is this, is there any way to have the Dat Packer program frind the plugins folder on my other drive?  I ask because I have the LEX DVD and with the overwelming amount of superb content on it, my game play has slowed to an unmanageable pace.

Thank you in advance,

Les

procarpenter

new to sc4 and the dat packer not sure what this means
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 2175, in WriteADat
WindowsError: [Errno 8] Not enough storage is available to process this command

i have 368 gigs of free space on my hd is this program memory hungry i have 1.5 gigs of memory

JoeST

do you have the DLL's listed in the readme?
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms