• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

getting to know Max

Started by thingfishs, April 08, 2010, 04:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thingfishs

I've made the transition from gmax to 3ds. Well in a manner of speaking I have, it's great to use but I'm yet to export a successful render. I've had long error messages on some files which I found to be because of spaces in the file names. But on the ones with no spaces it does nothing.... just makes a "ding" type noise and that's it. Can anyone point me in the right direction, thanks. :thumbsup:

callagrafx

Not without knowing a whole lot more...

For instance, which version of Max?
Which BAT4Max script?  Have you followed the instructions properly?
Installation path of Max
How and when does the error occur?
What error message are you getting?
Can you preview render?

You have got off a bicycle and have sat in a Ferrari, now you need to learn how to drive. 
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

thingfishs

- 3ds MAX 2010 32 bit (on windows 7
- BAT4MAX 4.5 and I think so...
- C:/program files/autodesk/3ds Max 2010
- it occurs when I try to export (after being prompted to refit the LODS & to pick a view from the preview bit).
- the small dialog that comes up says "unable to convert: undefined to type: string" with a heading of "MAXscript rollout handler exception" Then there is the log version (or whatever it's called) I have posted that here in case it's of any help... http://easy-upload.nl/f/WmN8F07q
- when I preview render all that appears is a very thin and tall black space which doesn't seem to contain anything.

Thanks for your help

callagrafx

It sounds like something in your scene is screwing up...Have you unhidden everything, selected the TBCameraHandle helper and deleted it?  Also delete the Xref and then re-click on the Day button to re-engage the lighting.  I have Max 2009 with B4M 4.5 but as yet haven't tried to export...I'll run a test to see if I can replicate the error.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

thingfishs

this is happening in a test scene composed purely of a box with a texture

EDIT: to clarify, when unhiding everything there is nothing else (LODs haven't been created (and saved) yet. But I don't know what you mean by xref...

Also I'm being asked if I want to render the 20? views of the model...
Plus the measurement/scale system seems to jump all over the place from project to project. I have gone in and set it up to 1m a few times...

EDIT#2: Also it just struck me that you've never exported, I suspect I worded it wrong. What I am trying to do is render my model, via the export tab.

Diggis

I can't comment on the errors as I don't have Max 2010, or BAT4MAX 4.5 (simfox?) but unless it's bypassing fshman you'll need to reinstall Max in a location that doesn't contain spaces.  You have 3 in your installation path.

callagrafx

Quote from: thingfishs on April 08, 2010, 02:24:58 PM
this is happening in a test scene composed purely of a box with a texture

EDIT: to clarify, when unhiding everything there is nothing else (LODs haven't been created (and saved) yet. But I don't know what you mean by xref...

Also I'm being asked if I want to render the 20? views of the model...
Plus the measurement/scale system seems to jump all over the place from project to project. I have gone in and set it up to 1m a few times...

EDIT#2: Also it just struck me that you've never exported, I suspect I worded it wrong. What I am trying to do is render my model, via the export tab.

When I say export, I mean render the BAT.  As for the 20 views, it has to render 5 zooms and N, S, E & W...total number of renders = 20  :thumbsup:

First, uninstall 3DS Max and delete the gamepacks folder (and the startup script)

Reinstall Max to a folder where the path has no spaces, ie c:\3dsmax2010

Next, install the BAT4Max script.  Make sure you follow each step exactly.  Also ensure you install the GMAX scripts into the correct folder for BAT.

Launch Max and click OK at the prompt about nightlights (it should be asking you to disable them).  Next, at each prompt, select the path to SC4 plugins and finally the BAT gamepacks folder for GMAX.

Go to Tools > Grid and Snaps > Grids and Snap Settings and set the home grid spacing to 1m and Major line in 16m increments.  Max should default to meters for system measurements.  To check, go to customize > Units Setup > System unit setup.

Next, check gamma correction is set properly by going to Rendering > Exposure control and scrolling down to the Gamma setting.  It should be 2.2

This should conclude the setup.  Now to test..  Create a cube, 16m x 16m x 16m and assign a texture.  To make sure the lightrig is ok, click Day under "let there be light"  (daft name I know, but creative writing is not everyone's forte).

Then refit the LODs and export them (saving the scene).  Open BAT up and import the LODs.  Check the scripts installed OK by the appearance of SD & HD radio buttons under the preview rollout.  Save the scene with a name that does not contain spaces (i.e. test_cube.gmax) and the click Export.  Once this has done, switch back to Max, select the model you just rendered and click Render BAT.  It should render properly with the cube more or less filling the render window.  When the render has finished, under the Batch CMD rollout, click FSH Batch Build and then DAT insert.  You should see DOS progress windows.

I ran several tests and could not replicate the error.  Try the above and see what happens.  If it still happens, you will need to contact Simfox, who's more active at ST than here....

Girafe

I had some problems too with the bat4max 4.5 and 3dsmax 2010 but finally it worked and have made a tutorial but in French there if you have little knowledge in French http://www.toutsimcities.com/forums.php?viewthread=612118

As Callagrafx said, it's better to install 3dsmax 2010 in this folder c:\3dsmax2010 and the same with gmax in the place c:\gmax
After the instructions of Callagrafx are very well explained.

With these places It would be work  &Thk/(

However pay attention to have well installed HD tool of Simfox in Gmax at first.

In another part, I have read I think in ST that there is some problems with paths in Windows 7 and administrators rights maybe have a look on it.

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

thingfishs

thanks a lot calliagrafx & girafe :thumbsup:

Although I'm not out of the woods yet.... I have followed the step by step guide there and everything has been fine up until the end. I have imported the LODs into gmax and saved without spaces. There are SD & HD options in the preview tab, but when I export it stops after 30 seconds or so with a MAXscript dialog that says "export failed! Code=6"

callagrafx

So, the error is in Gmax, not 3DS Max?  If so, try uninstalling GMAX and then reinstall it, plus BAT, then the additional GMAX scripts from Simfox's BAT4Max....

Girafe

We took time with thingfishs to fix the problems and I think now we solved all, hope there will be no more issues  ;)

and I took this occasion to post a tutorial about bat4max 4.5 for 3dsmax in the french section there
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

thingfishs

Yes indeed, I had my first intensive msn coaching session with Girafe, huge thanks again and fingers crossed it will be smooth sailing now...  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

thingfishs

but, alas, it hasn't been. I have been going through all the steps girafe showed me (which worked at the time), but I haven't been able to replicate that success.

This is my process:
-I have a model in Max.
-click day in let there be light
-re-fit LODs
-hdoutput (this is a HD prop I am making)
-export LODs

then in gmax:
-import
-hdoutput
-save with new name
-export

back to Max:

-click day in LTBL
-click export/get model name (and this is where my run ends.... with a small "ding" noise??

Now I think I am doing this as instructed; can anyone see a flaw in my process,
thanks.

Girafe

Quote from: thingfishs on April 15, 2010, 02:06:46 AM

back to Max:

-click day in LTBL
- reclick to HD output
-click export/get model name (and this is where my run ends.... with a small "ding" noise??

But I am not sure it was not only things wrong. As soon as I have time and you too we will re-done all the path in msn  ;)
The Floraler

thingfishs

thanks girafe,
I've tried that but it's still not working...

(btw I am free for the next 5 hours or so)

Another question: I have a model that I am trying to texture, but when I apply the texture it comes out black/grey. This is a model I have downloaded, is it somehow set to greyscale or something?

callagrafx

Your steps are OK up until this point, correct?

Quote from: thingfishs on April 15, 2010, 02:06:46 AM
-click export/get model name

In the Export rollout, can you actually select a model name?  If not, it sounds like your path to Simcity 4 plugins is not right.  Check this by editing the bat4max.ini file in the gamepacks folder.  It should have something like this:

[Configuration]
TB2InitScript=CPTB2Main.ms
TempPath=C:\3dsmax2009\gamepacks\BAT\Temp\
DestPath=C:\3dsmax2009\gamepacks\BAT\OutputFiles\
;ExportExt=
AALevel=1
CamerasandLights=gamepacks\BAT\scenes\CamLightRigs\TB2_CameraLightRig.max
CamerasandLightsFolder=gamepacks\BAT\scenes\CamLightRigs\
TB2Scripts=gamepacks\BAT\scripts\
AlphaSeedFile=gamepacks\BAT\AlphaSeed Do Not Delete.bmp
GroupID=cddd1522
InstanceID=00030000
NightMats=\gamepacks\BAT\Maps\NightWindows\
SC4PluginPath=C:\Documents and Settings\yourcomputername\My Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\

UseNightWindows=False

Where "yourcomputername" is the name of your account.

Second, it sounds like your imported model doesn't have UVW mapping.  Select the model and add a UVW Mapping modifier from the modifier list (panel on the right of the screen).

thingfishs

Quote from: callagrafx on April 15, 2010, 02:41:19 AM
In the Export rollout, can you actually select a model name? 

No, it just makes a noise.

In my bat4max.ini file the only thing with the path that was different was that the path says \documents\Simcity 4 whereas the actual path is \my documents\simcity 4
Would this be causing the error? It confuses me because I did actually get a successful render two days ago. ()what()

callagrafx

make sure the path in Bat4Max.ini is the actual path....The best way to do that would be to delete the line from the ini file and re-run Max.  It should ask you to choose the folder again.

thingfishs

thanks a lot callagrafx :thumbsup:

I tried changing it to "my documents" but it still didn't work. So I did as you suggested (erasing the line and resetting the path) and it worked!! (I was then able to successfully render the BAT ;D)
What I don't understand is that the path looks identical to the one that previously wasn't working, but I'll stop looking my gift horse in the mouth.

Girafe

I am glad to see that finally it works.

For the textures, in my 3dsmax there is a little bug I had to select in views "view with textured objects" maybe in yours it s the same  ;) 
The Floraler