• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

So I build this beautiful region and...

Started by SeanSC4, August 04, 2011, 12:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeanSC4

I can't decide where I want to build first! I've spent two hours just staring at it. Creator's block!  :-\

Gringamuyloca

$%Grinno$%
Nice to know I am not alone.  :thumbsup:

For the past 3 months I open the game, load my region... study it, think I have a plan, open a city... scan around... back into region view... open the next city or the same one  ;D... back into region view...it's become a vicious cycle... just don't know where to start!

..and to make matters worse is that the custom content just keeps coming  :D :P ...
Tamara

Jmouse

The way you start your region depends a lot on the way you plan to finish it! So do you want to build a skyscraper forest or do you long for the wide open spaces of rural life?

If the big city calls to you, decide where you want your metropolis - the waterfront is the choice of many players. Starting with a transportation grid might work for you in this case. If rurality rules, start out with a small town. A few homes, a touch of commercial like feed and seed stores and a generous serving of agricultural zoning. Don't forget to provide municipal services like a school along with fire and police protection.

Try to keep in mind that the largest cities started out as small towns, and that might help you. The thing that helped me the most, though, were the words of a gifted writing instructor.

"If you're looking at a blank piece of paper, you have nothing to work with," she said. "You have nothing to edit, so put some words on the paper and worry about whether they're right or wrong later on."

Still stumped? Look through the MD threads, preferably the classics and Hall of Fame entries. If you want to see how someone else started from ground zero, visit Adara, created by Battlecat, my pal and fellow NUT.

Hope this helps...
-Joan

Kitsune

It could be worse - I just had a tile that I just finished doing the terraforming and highway laying for get completely wiped out for no reason   :'(. Now it just gives me a blank ocean tile. This will now be third time I'm going to do the terraforming on this tile now  :angrymore: (thank god for backups!)
~ NAM Team Member

SeanSC4

Thanks for the replies. Here is my region:

Jmouse: Thanks for the tips. I'm a frequent reader of MDs and love to see the myriad approaches people take towards building cities and regions. I'm really enamored with this region though and think I may finally create my first MD if things work out.

Gringamuyloca: It sounds like you and I are one and the same when it comes to staring at the region for hours on end  :D.

Kitsune: Thank god for backups is so true.

I'm leaning towards trying to lay down some of the overall RHW and rail first but it's so time-consuming. Trying to lay down RHW in areas that are anything but flat is a test of patience.

rooker1

That is a very interesting map to say the least.  I wish you very good luck laying out your rail lines.
I hope you do find enough patience to start your own MD.  This is the easiest way for you to get feed back on how you are progressing.

Robin  ;)
Call me Robin, please.