• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Berania

Started by nedalezz, June 20, 2009, 09:20:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nedalezz

Wow, thanks for the great response! Its amazing to see that after such a long time, Jmouse, Schul, Dedgren, rooker1, and even the great Ennedi (!!) remember my MD :) Thanks for the amazing reception!

REPORT: The Seaport

In the 18th century, it was not uncommon to have a wooden pier serve as the main port of a country, nor was it uncommon in the mid early to mid 20th century for a country's main airport to be no more than a dusty landing strip incapable of holding more than 2 airplanes at a time.

This is the beginning of the 21st century, however, yet we find Berania's main port in Suqara to be no more than that same wooden pier described above, and its main "international" airport no more than paved strip designed more for Cessna aircrafts than Boeing jetliners. 

We have heard the argument hundreds of times:  why spend money developing a new port and airport when the ones we have now meet our current demands comfortably?  My direct response to that argument is this famous saying: If you build it, they will come.  How are we supposed to attract international airlines to Berania if we cannot accommodate them?  How are we supposed to encourage trade when we don't have the facilities to handle cargo ships? 

The current administration announced late last year its plans on building a new seaport, but till now, we have seen nothing develop.  Even the location of the new seaport remains a mystery: just how serious they are about getting it done this presidential term is also questionable.  What is clear, however, is that Berania's potential as a trade center will go unfulfilled until we can get some adequate facilities to support our growing and future needs in that department.

IN THE NEWS

Overall economic growth in the 1st Quarter of this year has been registered at 13.2%, easily exceeding the amount predicted, but foreign investment remains limited, something which must be improved if the country is to become economically strong.

Although WSthe percentage indicates solid improvement, it is not across the board.  Exports, although never a sizable amount, has decreased almost 65%, and with no manufacturing sector to speak of, it is unlikely that number will increase until the much talked about oil production facilities and refineries get off the ground.  Unfortunately, they haven't even passed the planning stages yet.

What is encouraging, however, is the amount of currency being spent.  With the Kaffa, Berania's local currency, pegged to the US dollar, the currency rate is current at K1 - $1, and is likely to remain that way unless the government decides to peg it to other currencies as well.  The amount of Kaffa (both plural and singular) being spent in the market by local consumers has played a major factor in the growth of Berania's economy.

BUSINESS IN FOCUS: Berania National Bank

The Berania National Bank (BNB), which is fully owned by the Beranian government, has announced its K22 million expansion plan set to be initiated later this year, hoping to further stimulate the growing economy of the country by reaching out to the rural areas of the country.

Already a heavy promotional campaign has been launched to help residents of rural villages and communities understand what the bank has to offer them, and also to get it out there that the BNB plans to open 26 new branches across the country.  Its HQ and current only operational branch is located on Hammat Road. 

Opposition leader and NPCP head Ismael Henry has accused the government of trying to control its citizens through this method of control, as he called it, and by increasing reliance on the central government for help.  He suggested privatizing the bank, which would prove, he said, the government was not attempting to quietly suppress the citizens of Berania.  The accusation was laughed off by Berania National Party (BNP) spokesperson Khalil Black, who responded by saying the banking sector in Berania was free and open, claiming private banks were more than welcome to operate in the country.  He continued by saying no one is under any obligation to work with the BNB, but it was the governments hope that the citizens of Berania would use it as a source of aid to help them develop their lives and businesses.

FISHING: A Beranian Pastime

Some of the most exotic fish in the world can be found off the shores of Berania, leading to large variety of different types of seafood dishes in the local cuisine.  Fishing has been the main provider of food for coastal settlements, and is still the livelihood of several who reside by the sea till this day.

Although the government has talked about unionizing the fisherman in order to give them a voice, there hasn't been any progress on the issue given the lack of local enthusiasm in the coastal settlements.  The hope of the local government has been to help develop the fishing industry in order to capitalize on the rich variety of seafood which could be used for export, benefiting the local economy and the fishermen directly.

What could help speed up the issue and help the fishing industry grow is the construction of the planned fishermen's marina on the outskirts of the Omtarra (pop. 2,455) some 400 kilometers east of the capital city of Suqara.  The project has an estimated cost of K3 million, but the potential benefits far outweigh the costs.  It would also do wonders for the local economy of Omtarra and the 4 settlements that would be situated near the marina.

Future location of the Fishermen Marina.

danielcote

I love you're use of C.P. and W2W's. You've truly out done you're self.

art128

The only word who came to my head when i see that is - Outstanding !  And I think it's the only word to describe your work my friend ! Seriously, i really love your use of Cp's houses, you made them looking more fabulous as the original with the sandstone sidewalk. Also, the beach is nice and it's a nice spot to the future fisherman marina. at last, the history you made with the picture and the update (Also in your last MD) is a great touch. You're a big source of inspirations for me. But the thing I love the most in that update was the night overview, it looks amazingly real !
Looking forward for sure.
Take care,
-Arthur.  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

kwakelaar

Interesting plans they have for investments. And the images are looking very good.

Schulmanator

Your updates always impress. Your usual high quality work is a pleasure.... can't wait for more!
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

Tomas Neto

My friend, fantastic update!!! Great pictures, guy!!!  &apls &apls &apls

nedalezz

Once again, thanks for all the wonderful comments. I think its safe to say I speak for all MDers when I proclaim that the comments really make a world of difference for us!

IN FOCUS: Rural Development

While alot of criticism has been placed on Berania's first ever democratic, central government, it cannot be argued that President Berdasso's administation's investment in attempting to develop the rural areas of the country has begun to show results.  Healthcare has begun reaching even the tiniest settlements of Berania, and the Berania National Bank (BNB), which is 100% owned by the government, has already opened most of its 26 planned rural branches.

Case in point is the village of Jawlatta; with a population of barely 2,000, it has recently witnessed the opening of its own medical clinic and its own BNB branch, situated just across from the central village mosque.  Nestled away in the Goraffi Mountains, at an altitude of 1,250 meters, the area around Jawlatta sparkles with natural beauty, and although the town itself is considered low-middle class, its surroundings do not come any richer when its comes nature.  The village is tucked away in a small valley between two peaks, and now that development is underway to provide it with facilities, it is hard to see such a beautiful area not be capitalized on by the Tourism Ministry.

Aside from the obvious touristic draw, such an area, of which there is quite a few of in Berania, could potentialy be a gold mine when it comes to investment and real estate.  Perfect weather during the summer is followed by snow and wintery beauty in the colder seasons, while the colours that come out during spring could literally take one's breath away.  With more development, more emphasis on infrastructure, and proper marketing, such an area could be a haven for those wanting a beautiful summer house setting and for those just looking at investing in land and property.  While such prospects might not happen overnight, there is no reason to believe that they couldnt.

Before I leave you, here are a couple of shots from the capital of Suqara, which recently hit 50,000 people!

art128

The first picture is a M-A-S-T-E-R-P-I-E-C-E ! Seriously, i really love that picture, you do an excellent job with these houses and their disposition. Also, the mix maxis trees and Cp's and jeroni's one is well done. The night shot make it more awesomeness ! And, the two others pictures are good too, I really love the beach you done with the tree fence. Also, nice work with the squared houses development !
Looking forward to more.
take care,
-Arthur.  :thumbsup:

Props & Texture Catalog

Earth quake

Wonderfull Update.
Your city is really splendid. I love the 3rd picture with the beach and the neighbours. The residentiel district is really splendid and very realistic, with a splendid use of bats of c.p, MattB325 and SG. I find the use of mosque is original in your city.

Vivien

Jmouse

Wonderful update, nedalezz, but that's no surprise! The city is growing fast and looking very good in the process. And the neighborhoods are delightful. I've never been brave enough to try out the cobblestone streets, but yours look great. Excellent choice of BATs, too.

Later...
Joan

Tomas Neto

Really you are very talented!!! Impressive!!!  &apls &apls &apls

Sciurus

I love cities which are on this site, and I can that this is my seconf favourite city!! It's just fantatstic, I love this sububurb's style, which is just beautiful, and like Art has said, it's just outstanding!! I fall of my chair when I see thoose pics &apls &apls

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

nedalezz

(Im in the middle of a business trip, im in China currently. I havent had time to play SC, but Ive got some RL pictures that would represent what the following area of Berania would look like.)

MINI-UPDATE

The Honassa Mountain Range

The Honassa region, which is dominated by the Honassa Mountain Range, is without a doubt one of the most beautiful parts of the country.  Although Berania's population is estimated to be around 50-60 million, less than 2% of that call Honassa their home.  Found in the northwestern part of Berania, its magical beauty is surpassed only by its untouched serenity.  Honassa is nature at its finest.

There are 6 settlements in all of Honassa, with the rest of population living in what is classified as rural areas.  The largest of these settlements, Farayya, has a population of approximately 4000 residents, almost all of which make their living from agriculture of herding livestock, both of which respresent the how the local population lives.  The town of Farayya sits at the foot of Mt. Hasaniya, which towers over the town, reaching almost 5,000 meters in height.  It is also the tallest mountain in the entire mountain range, and the second highest in Berania.

Not much is known about the history of the area, but given the size of Farayya in comparison to the other settlements, it is believed that the Farayya family have been the dominant force for atleast a few centuries.  There are no recent reports of battles or wars, however, and much like the nature around them, it seems the local population has lived in relative peace.

A recent visit by a Swiss delegation to Berania to Honassa lead to enquiries about turning the town of Farayya into a possible location for a ski resort.  The issue was swiftly but politely declined by President Bardasso's administration, who instead stated that they would rather focus on developing the basic infrastructure of the country first.

I will leave you with some pictures of the Honassa in all of its natural glory. Enjoy!

Tomas Neto

Through this introduction I think that your next update, about the region of Honassa, will be something amazing!

art128

Interesting update Nedalezz, the history is nice and greatly done, it was a pure pleasure to read it. And it's sure that the Honassa Mountain Range looks amazingly fantastically extremely naturally beautiful !
Take care,
-Arthur. :thumbsup:

Props & Texture Catalog

Jmouse

Beautiful pix and interesting history of the area. Hope your business trip is successful and you return home safely.

Looking forward to the next update of Berania...
Joan

dizflip

certainly an amazing cj. super realistic shots, especially the night one, which I'm still trying to figure out. care to enlighten me? hehe

anyway. fantastic cj thus far.  &apls  &apls

Please visit my MD! Also, come over to the League of Nations and be a part of it! We'd love to see you there!

nedalezz

MINI-UPDATE #2: The Town of Farayya

As mentioned in the first mini-update on the region of Honassa, the town of Farayya is the largest settlement there and has recently been voted to be the seat of the region as well. The population of Farayya currently stands at around 4000 residents in and around the town, with most making a living off of the land, whether it be agriculture or herding livestock. 

In recent times, however, alot of wealthy families from other parts of Berania have started acquiring land and building summer homes in the town due to the remarkable beauty of the area.  This has also helped the local economy grow, and now with the town having its own Bank of Berania branch, as well as the biggest health clinic outside of Suqara, land prices in Farayya proper have doubled.  In fact, in a recent survey, it was stated that the cost of land in Farayya per square meter is among the most expensive in the entire country.

The climate in Farayya varies greatly between summer and winter.  During the summer months, the temperature averages between 25-28 degrees Celcius, but in the winter months, the average drops to around -10 degrees Celcius.  Snow begins falling from late November-early December, and doesnt melt usually until the month of April, much like the weather in New England in the USA.  Only a few hours from the town lay some of the most beautiful natural sights in Berania, something President Berdasso's administration has expressed interest in promoting, both to the local population and potential overseas tourist.

Although Berania is predominantly a Muslim country, the majority of Farayya's residents are Christians, which explains the Church in the center of town, opposite the new BNB building.  Although there is no factual evidence to back it up, the favored theory is that the ancestors of the Honassan families originated from Western Europe, mostly France and Spain several hundred years ago.  The language spoken in these parts is a dialect of Beranian, and although the written language is the same, the spoken language differs slightly from the mother Beranian tongue. 

As of right now, Farayya has little more than a mini-market to go along with the BNB branch as far as commerce goes, and the government is in no rush to expand on that. More than other areas, Honassa has alot of regulations set up to protect the natural setting of the area, with plenty of zoning and construction laws set up specifically for the area.

I will leave you with a couple of simple pictures of the town itself. Enjoy!

beutelschlurf

moin nedalezz,

another neat looking arrangement you showing here!  :thumbsup: ... well i guess one could call this a talent!  :P
just lovely!

b_schlurf

art128

I like that mix of trees Nedalezz, you done a good job with the maxis one and the red. the general aspect of the city is great and the layout good too!
Take care,
-Arthur :thumbsup:

Props & Texture Catalog