• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Terring's Terrible Lots!!

Started by Terring7, February 13, 2010, 10:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terring7

By finishing all C$ lots, I can finally build beautiful "ghettos" :)

"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Terring7

How about reloting the Maxis airports?

The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Terring7

As about the seaports, I have 2 chooses. Some months ago I relot the Maxis seaport and turn it into a truly industrial spaceport. With this trick, it's possible to build "seaports" anywhere you want.

But what if you want to keep the "seaport" style of the Maxis seaport? Inspired by the proportions of the Venus Project...

... I made a second version. Here is a sea-air-spaceport, with both ships and spaceships.

Which of the above versions in better? And why the sea-air-spaceport still keeps the Maxis textures? :angrymore:
The Choice is Ours
---

Terring7

For technical reason I'll select the first version. I also made a new spaceport, better than the previous. Now I need to add something nice in the empty green space but I'm not sure what &mmm

The Choice is Ours
---

Terring7

The seaport spaceport is ready

Now I need to relot the lighthouse. Any idea?

The Choice is Ours
---

jeronij

Hi Terring,
let me say that you are making a really distinct project here ¡¡ , and this is always nice and enjoyable ;)

Regarding your last spaceport lot, I'd give you some suggestions that I would follow if I had to do something like that:

Try to find a real example of what you are willing to make. Obviously there is no spaceport currently here in earth, but there are thousands in comics and fims and pictures, so you can get some key ideas that you want to translate to your lot.

Before you begin lotting, make sure you have the full design developed, and concentrate in make your lot as close to your real design one as possible.

You will probably need to make some custom textures to get something espectacular. Specially the pavements and the runways or parking areas.

Dont use green grass or trees in it. It does not look realistc in such a modern installation imo :). Perhaps a circle of grass with a tree at the facility entrance would be the green touch, but as small as possible.

Use lots of greys, blacks, whites, yellows, reds colors and textures ... concrete, fences,  refuelling area, cargo area,...

Ok, enough.... :), i hope my suggestions may help you to give this lot an extra push and make it look like a Star Trek one ;) ¡¡¡
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Terring7

Hello jeronij and thank you very much for the suggestions :)

Quote from: jeronij on August 06, 2011, 02:22:25 AMTry to find a real example of what you are willing to make. Obviously there is no spaceport currently here in earth, but there are thousands in comics and fims and pictures, so you can get some key ideas that you want to translate to your lot.

I did it. I didn't found something really cool for the stage 1, so I made my own design. As about the stages 2 and 3... ;) ;)

Quote from: jeronij on August 06, 2011, 02:22:25 AMYou will probably need to make some custom textures to get something espectacular. Specially the pavements and the runways or parking areas.

My project already use SimMars, a 200 megabyte dependency, and I have already some complains about that. Adding even more stuff will harm my mental health, if you know what I mean ::)
Unless if I decide to use a lot of dependencies to make my lots really beautiful and keep the project for myself, available to nobody.

Quote from: jeronij on August 06, 2011, 02:22:25 AMDont use green grass or trees in it. It does not look realistc in such a modern installation imo :). Perhaps a circle of grass with a tree at the facility entrance would be the green touch, but as small as possible.

Sure having trees in a spaceport looks a bit funky, but it's not so unrealistic. Check this picture...

A vertiport (airport for Vertical Take Over and Land aircrafts) with green space. My philosophy is to built cities and facilities that connects the humanity with the rest of the environment, not cyberpunk hells. This is why I always add a lot of trees and green zones in my cities and lots, to blend nature with technology.

Quote from: jeronij on August 06, 2011, 02:22:25 AMUse lots of greys, blacks, whites, yellows, reds colors and textures ... concrete, fences,  refuelling area, cargo area,...

The cargo area and the warehouses are underground. Why having a large on ground warehouse, when you can have a way larger underground? ;D
As about the other ideas, I used them to improve my spaceport. Now it has some fuel tanks, nice effects, some futuristic industrial vehicles and an iron fence. The fence will not surround the whole spaceport, so you can build 2 of them and make a larger one ;D

The Choice is Ours
---

apeguy

Some very nice stuff here, especially the spaceports. ;D

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

Terring7

The Choice is Ours
---

jeronij

Quote from: Terring7 on August 06, 2011, 10:30:12 AM
Hello jeronij and thank you very much for the suggestions :)

The cargo area and the warehouses are underground. Why having a large on ground warehouse, when you can have a way larger underground? ;D

Because we can't see it in SC4 ??  ::)  $%Grinno$%   ;) :D :D ¡¡

Nice development with the lighthouse  :thumbsup:
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Terring7

That's why we need some imagination as well ;D
The Choice is Ours
---

Terring7

I never liked the base of the minor stadium, so...

The Choice is Ours
---

CasperVg

That looks great! This is pretty much how the stadium should've looked like upon release. Very nice lotting in a rather tight space.
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Terring7

Glad to see that you like it :) . I was seriously thinking about adding custom made redwoods, to provide some shadows for the fans and the players. This however will bring some very... interesting effects during the champions league ;D

More modifications. We 're going to build a city of the future and we still have... prehistoric cars that burns oil? :'(
Let's change it and add some Martian electric cars ;)

The Convention Centre has too large parking place. What a waste of land! Let's make it underground...

... and expand the building.

I also have some time to upgrade Memories of the Colonists. The graveyards now have fence and some more details. Also, they are more spooky now.

The Choice is Ours
---

Terring7

I made some changes in most of the lots of the Martian rewards.

Some extra trees in the lot of the hotel.

The convention centre doesn't has a huge empty lot any more...

Mini improvements in the parking places of the communication post.

The hydrological laboratory didn't had a nice scientific lot. Now it's more high tech.

I change a bit the lot of the arcology to fit better with the base.

The advance fire station had an Immortal Lot problem, because the building overhang the lot a bit. I fix that.

No reason to have prop cars in the road of the opera, so let's remove them.

In the medium colony hall I placed a small parking and a medium plaza. Now they're replaced by green zones and a huge underground garage.

The large cemetery had an empty lot... and that's all. Now I fill it with a lot of tombs, fence and trees. I also made is spooky. Really spooky!

A great improvement of the advance police station. The flying police cars are stored in their own "garage" and a nice open space is in front of the building.

Not something in the country house, just some extra trees in the parking.

The large primary school has now a larger, better protected yard for the kids to play.

The nuclear power plant has a better, more realistic lot. New fences, outside buildings, parked cars and ecologists who just invade into the facility.

More trees for the advance school

The small cemetery is surrounded by fence.

The weather station has a better, more scientific lot.

I also relot the Martian museum. You can see Sims watching the outside exhibits.

I can't remember what the heck I was thinking when I relot the Martian mayor house. I hope that you like the new version.

I also relot the alternative school.

The Martian stadium is under development...

The Choice is Ours
---

Terring7

The Martian parks are finally upgraded. I change the base texture of some of them to make them more realistic, while I add more trees and Sims in the plazas.

Mix them with the Maxis parks and plazas for pretty cool results.

I also upgrade the civil buildings. I'll upload pictures of them tomorrow.
The Choice is Ours
---

Terring7

The civil buildings are upgraded

The fire stations has now better lots. The larger one doesn't have trees any more and can support 2 aircars.

I never liked the base I made for the hospital. The parking was too small and there was a small texture error. I fix that by making a huge underground parking garage. 1 of those ramps is only for ambulances.

I removed the trees and green spaces from the large police station and make some garages for the antigravity police cars. I also add a nice effect for the antenna.

Not something special for the smaller police station...

I made a better yard for the school.

I placed the high school in the middle of it's lot and surrounded by trees

I didn't like the lot I made for the jail, so here is a better one. Underground ramps for the prisoners carrier buses and pads for the police aircars.

The Choice is Ours
---

Lowkee33

These lots are getting better and better Terring  &apls

The use of effects is great, and there are many more as well (the flashing lights comes to mind for your lots). 

If you use reader There are a ton of effects in SimCity that haven't been turned into props in the EffectDir.  They can all be made into props, and it isn't too hard.  Look at the exemplar for the existing effects.  There is a property that is just the name of the effect.  Type in a different effect, and there is your new prop (you would have to make a new exemplar as not to override maxis).

Effects can also be tested in-game.  Type say, "Effect radio_tower", or "effect laser_crater_a" into the cheat prompt, and you will see the effect in the middle of the map.

Terring7

Glad to hear that :) . I don't have the Reader, but I like those possibilities. I'll check it out :satisfied:
Need more spacecrafts and airplanes for your airports and spaceports? Now you can have them ;D

The Choice is Ours
---

Terring7

There are a lot of cool trail paths, but they can't fit nicely all together. The result is a lot of stuff in the park menu and plenty of Megabytes in the Plugin folder. Because of this, I decide to collect the best stuff and unify them. By reloting trail paths made by WMP, Pegasus, Paeng, SFBT and BSC, and adding some SimMars additions, I made my own set of naturalistic - futuristic trail paths. It's still in the very beginning, but those pictures will give you some idea...

My aim is to make parks 80% naturalistic (trees, quiet paths, ponds) and 20% urbanistic (gardens, fountains, cultural buildings). It's not finished yet and there is no reason to hurry it, but I hope that you like it as far :)
The Choice is Ours
---