• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Terring's Terrible Lots!!

Started by Terring7, February 13, 2010, 10:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vortext

First of all, if you start making your own textures it's wise indeed to apply for a personal ID range over here to avoid conflicts.

Secondly I had a look at the tutorial over at Simtrop and the methods described are a bit outdated, in particular using the SC4Tool. Though it's still a usefull tool in some occasions, I would suggest start using <a href="http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2255">Null45's FSH2PNG tool</a>. Not only does it automatically create minmaps for each zoomlevel, it'll also save it conveniently into a .dat file.

Finally mrbisonm wrote a texture creation tutorial over here. It's easy to follow and should take care of all your texturing needs.  :)

Oh and I almost forgot to mention this idea of yours is pretty neat, it makes for very interesting cities.  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Terring7

I tried the Png to Fsh tool but it crashes just after opening

"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

vortext

How and when does it crashes? Does it fail to open, or does it crash while saving?

What system are you on and what does is say exactly? It's all Greek to me.  :D

You could also post this and your specs in Null45's thread, usually he's fast to help out.
time flies like a bird

Terring7

Don't worry, I fix it. I just forgot to download the .NET Framework 3.5 Client profile. Sorry for that :-[ ;D
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Terring7

Now that I'm waiting to get my IID range, how about playing with those walls a bit more and turn islands into waterscrapers? ;D

The Choice is Ours
---

Flatron

nice! I like the idea of green walls very much and am keen to integrate your "windows" into my cities. I saw sth. like that on holiday, a firestation built into a mountain in south tyrol.

Terring7

Stairs-like cities are awesome...

... but how about turning the slopes themselves into buildings?!

Thanks to the advices of the good people of SC4D and SimPeg, it's now possible to dress a hill and turn it into building!

Raise big enough hills and mountains and turn them into huge buildings and even arcologies! Make them large enough to support buildings, airports, neighbourhoods and even whole cities!! Dig canyons and turn them into underground cities! Raise islands and turn them into waterscrapers! Tons of possibilities &dance

More pictures and textures are coming soon
The Choice is Ours
---

LordCarbuncle

"The poor we shall always  have with us but the slum we shall not have"

Terring7

The Choice is Ours
---

Terring7

I just finished the corner textures of my future walls. This is the texture for the inner corners...

... and this is for the outer corners.

Now I'm working on diagonal textures. In game pictures when all of them will be ready :)
The Choice is Ours
---

Terring7

Sorry for the double post ()lurker()

I just finished with the diagonal textures and make all of them available to the game. Have in mind that I used the SimCity 3000 Texture Pack to make my textures, so I didn't made them from scratch. Also I made them with M.S. Paint. Bad idea, because the diagonal textures doesn't look as smooth and realistic as they should. Don't worry, I'll remake them soon. So let's go to the today update &dance

Get a little bored with the classic walls in your urban hills?

Then turn them into buildings!!

The Choice is Ours
---

noahclem

Still a very interesting project  &apls  It seems like the texture is still lacking a bit of detail though--particularly the white part. I suppose it's impossible to give them night lights? Keep it up  :thumbsup:

Terring7

The only way I can think about night lighting is adding invisible props in front of the textured windows and make them glow in the dark, but probably they will not look very nice &Thk/(
Or maybe we can replace the textures themselves with props, but perhaps it will look funny in the slopes &Thk/(
The Choice is Ours
---

Terring7

Still playing with my wall set. Let's call it Future Walls :thumbsup:
Better names are welcomed ;D

With them, you can build multilevel cities and 3D city zones.

Build rooftop aerodromes and watch the planes land above those buildings. The passengers will be transported to and from the airport by conveyors in those buildings, while many of the terminals themselves will also be inside those buildings.

epicblunder from SimPeg made an awesome texture with a waterfall on the wall

The lots are not ready yet, but here you can take a small taste of how I'm playing with this new texture.

Rooftop parks, green skyscrapers... endless possibilities!!

The Choice is Ours
---

Swordmaster

Well, maybe not usable for me, but you certainly are most original! That last image is. . . well, a little psychedelic?

Cheers
Willy

noahclem

Awesome pictures  :o  This certainly is a fun project to follow  :thumbsup:

vortext

The waterfall is a little weird, though no need for window cleaning I guess.  :D

Anyhow, I imagine with multi-level transit systems and perhaps slighty improved upon textures (or at least some variation, you might want to look into making multi-fsh textures) it's possible to build pretty futuristic cities. I must say the second pic already looks dazzling to me, though the sweeping tube-transit (maglev?) next to the Big Ben is kinda crazy as well - the good kinda crazy that is.  ;)

I'll echo Noah and say it's intertesting to see this unfold. Keep it up.  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird

mike3775

Gotta say, that looks pretty neat.  I would probably play around with some of them in some of my cities

Would it be possible to make one piece look like an entry way for roads?

Terring7

Swordmaster: I forgot to add the night view of this image. Even more psychedelic ;D

noahclem: Thanks :)

vortext: I didn't had any plan to make waterfalls, but on the other hand... why not? Running water can relax my Sims and will also bring a touch of nature in my cities. If you think that my pictures are a bit loony, you should check a city that I'm building those days ;D

mike3775: I will give it a try. I don't know if it's possible to make transit enable walls for roads, but I can check it. If it's possible, it could be possible to make entry ways for railroads as well :thumbsup:
The Choice is Ours
---

Terring7

I just made my version of the new Paeng's playgrounds ;D

What? Let me explain.

The Maxis team made a small variety of parks, that can be placed alone or in compilation. Of course more variations are always welcomed. On the other hand, there was not any trail path for our parks. Until now, there are tons of sets with differed trail paths and parks, everyone with it's own strategy and ability. However you can't have all those parks because they can't fit each other. For instance, the trail paths and parks made by B.S.C. team and Pegasus have both cool stuff, but they can't fit together. So I took the best of them and relot them, to fit better in my cities.

How? What style I choose? Do be honest, I don't like the too much civilized parks, like this...

I hate them! >:( :bomb:
They are too much clean, too much symmetric, too much perfect, too much boring! A park should bring the nature itself to the city, not a parody of it. Nature and technology should be one thing, a mix of culture and environment. Something like this...

By having this in my mind, I made a personal project for my way of building parks. I took the best from Pegasus, S.F.B.T., SimMars, B.S.C., Paeng, W.I.P., Murimk e.t.c., relot them and unify them. Here is a taste of an upgraded version of my project :)

The Choice is Ours
---