• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Terring's Terrible Lots!!

Started by Terring7, February 13, 2010, 10:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terring7

"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

mrbisonm

That lamp looks........modern and futuristic! ;)

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

Terring7

The City and the Stars (1956) is a science fiction novel by Arthur C. Clarke, which takes place a billion years in the future, in the city of Diaspar. In Diaspar, the entire city is run by the Central Computer. Not only is the city repaired by machines, but the people themselves are created by the machines as well. The computer creates bodies for the people of Diaspar to live in and stores their minds in its memory when they "die". At any time, only the 1% of these people are actually living in Diaspar, the rest 99% are retained, stored in the computer's memory banks. Because of this, all the currently existent people of Diaspar have had past "lives" within Diaspar. That's immortality... with some breaks.

Having this in my mind, I relot the first cemetery into a Memory Bank. No more burring the dead, because there are no dead people anymore. Only Sims that can live for a millennium and then take a rest, "sleeping" for some centuries.

The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Terring7

A bit too much for a small town? How about this? No way the final version, but I think a better one

The Choice is Ours
---

FrankU

Quote from: Terring7 on April 22, 2012, 11:02:47 AM
The City and the Stars (1956) is a science fiction novel by Arthur C. Clarke, which takes place a billion years in the future, in the city of Diaspar. In Diaspar, the entire city is run by the Central Computer. Not only is the city repaired by machines, but the people themselves are created by the machines as well. The computer creates bodies for the people of Diaspar to live in and stores their minds in its memory when they "die". At any time, only the 1% of these people are actually living in Diaspar, the rest 99% are retained, stored in the computer's memory banks. Because of this, all the currently existent people of Diaspar have had past "lives" within Diaspar. That's immortality... with some breaks.

Ah, The City and the Stars. I must have read it five times by now. It's one of his best.

Nice Lot too; The Arthur Clarke Citizen Bank?

Terring7

Inspired by Arthur C. Clarke's novel The City and the Stars (1956), all cemeteries replaced by Memory Banks and Halls of Creation. In the future, maybe in a not very far one, genetic engineering and nanotechnology will cancel the death and Sims will live for ever. This however will bring devastating psychological and overpopulation problems, but there is a solution.

A human being, like any other object, is defined by its structure, its pattern. The pattern of a human, and still more the pattern which specifies a human's mind, is incredibly complex. Yet Nature was able to pack that pattern into a tiny cell, too small for the eye to see. The D.N.A. from our hair contain enough informations to create a human. What Nature can do, humanity will also do it, in his own way. Genetics, quantum computers and nanotech will allow us to analyze and store all the informations that would define any specific human being, and to use that information to re-create the original one. Today we have C.D.s and U.S.B.s to store all song of Scorpions (just an example). Tomorrow we'll be able to store themselves, the disembodied patterns from which they could be called back into existence.

This is the way we'll have virtual immortality, yet avoided the problems raised by the abolition of death. 1,000 years in one body is long enough for any human. At the end of that time, his/her mind is clogged with memories and he/she asks only for rest... or a new beginning. The people in the future will not buried in cemeteries. They'll go back through their memories, editing them and canceling those they do not wish to keep. Then they'll walk into the Hall of Creation. There old bodies will cease to exist, and so will consciousness themselves. Nothing will be left of them, but a galaxy of electrons frozen in the heart of a crystal.

Then one day, perhaps 100,000 years from now, they'll find themselves in new bodies and lifestyles. They will have new and different friends and interests, but their old selves will still exist. In the cities of the future, only 1% of the citizens will live and walk in the streets. The rest 99% slumber in the Memory Banks, waiting for the signal that will call them forth onto the stage of existence once again. The result is continuity, yet change-immortality, but not stagnation.

In this future, the Maxis cemeteries will not fit at all. This is why I relot them into Memory Banks and Halls of Creation.This is the final version. Tell me what you think :)

The Choice is Ours
---

Terring7

I think I found a more futuristic streetlight

The Choice is Ours
---

noahclem

Great (and interesting) work on the cemetary re-lots  &apls  The streetlight looks promising too  :thumbsup:

Terring7

A better version of the Maxis Drive-In cinema

The Choice is Ours
---

Jmouse

Congratulations! Your lots are truly out of this world. ;)

noahclem

Congratulations Elias  &apls  Sounds like it'll be an exciting month around here!

Terring7

I'm happy to see my terrible lots as O.S.I.T.M., and I'm happy to report that even more terrible lots are coming soon ;D

Let's keep on with the Barsoom Project. Building a city of the future on Earth? Established a colony on an extrasolar Earth-like planet, like Kepler 22-b? Did you finally terraform planet Mars? For any case, you need more futuristic buildings. Sadly however there are only a few of them, mostly plopable. Many folks made modern cities and then just add a spaceship and bang! A future city! No way... A chocolate chip in a vanilla cake is not enough to turn it into a chocolate cake. We need something more drastic and radical ;)

SimMars Beta 3 has tons of awesome buildings, but they are incompatible for green environments... until now. Memories of the Colonists is the first pack of the Barsoom Project. All buildings from SimMars will finally be compatible on green environments. No more red barren lots with dust, but green lots with grass, trees, Sims, birds etc. And this is only the first pack...

Now I'm working on the second pack, which will relot all hundreds Maxis lots. I began this project from last year, but now it's time for reworking. Until now the dependencies are Eagleland Project Lot Textures, BLaM Overpath Props Volume 1, BSC MEGA Props SG Vol 01, PEG-MTP SUPER PACK, PORKIE PROPS VOL1 EUROPEAN STREET ACCESSORIES, RadicalOne Studios Volvo VN770 Props, BSC MEGA Props CP Vol01, Sim Mars Domes Props Only and Light Replacement Mod (LRM) v4.0 Mega Pack.

Today I'll show you what I did in the Maxis low wealth homes. No more wooden ugly homes!!

Here is a Memory Bank in action. In a world of "immortal" people, cemeteries will be useless.

Now I'm working on the Maxis low wealth shops. Dirty (so far) industries and farms will be next.

But wait a minute! Why the low wealth homes have so nice and green lots? Why there are no more fences? What the heck is going on with those trees? And why there are some Maxis homes still appearing? All those questions will be answered soon. Just have in mind that will be more "strange" than the lots themselves ;D ;D
The Choice is Ours
---

Battlecat

Congratulations on being selected for OSITM!

Your work on Science Fiction styled lots is top notch!  I'm looking forward to seeing what's up with this teaser! 

rooker1

Congrats.  I can't wait to see what you have for us this month.

Robin  &mmm
Call me Robin, please.

Terring7

Time for a surprise ;D ;D

So you're building a colony on Mars with plenty of diagonal roads. Sounds good :thumbsup:
But what if you don't want a grid result like this?

With the use of the GridBuster series, we can break the grid and make the roads truly diagonal, like this:

Need something less urban? No problem.

This is not the final version, just a test, so any idea is welcomed :)
The Choice is Ours
---

noahclem

Adopting those grid-buster fillers to SimMars is a great idea  &apls  The diagonals in the pictures with your new lots look much, much better. I've always enjoyed any kind of custom content that allows for better looking diagonal areas. Nice work on the Barsoom Project as well  :thumbsup:

Terring7

The Choice is Ours
---

Terring7

I promised some answers...

Quote from: Terring7 on June 03, 2012, 04:37:19 AMWhy the low wealth homes have so nice and green lots? Why there are no more fences? What the heck is going on with those trees? And why there are some Maxis homes still appearing?

... so here we go, an explanation-tutorial about reloting the Maxis lots. Just using a Maxis blocker to build future cities is easy, but how about changing all hundreds of lots?

My work as you can see is not just replacing the Maxis buildings with SimMars content, but bringing all the original lots to the word of tomorrow. Using the modern reality to predict the tomorrow reality is the reason of why the 1912 flocks didn't predict the United Nations and the Internet, so I need something different and awesome. This is why all lots will get the inspiration from the Venus Project, the most complex and radical idea about the future. By declaring all natural resources as common legacy for everyone on Earth and by unlocking the powers of science, technology and human mind, problems like pollution and crime will be just bad jokes.

Making the resources common for all people, money will be useless. Poor and rich people will not exist anymore into the future, only people. This is why all my lots will be green, futuristic and without fences. Mansions and slums will still exist, because of the engine of Simcity 4, but ghettos and high society zones will not exist anymore. In fact, my project will turn the cities from this...

... to this.

By having the ideas of V.P. in my mind, let's relot some lots. This is a stage 7 R$$ apartment building. In order to not mess too much with the development, the lot MUST be stage 7, no matter what.

So is there a SimMars apartment building, big enough for stage 7? Yes, there is. Let' replace the Maxis building with a SimMars one.

Good, but not enough good.

Much better, ready for action. I wonder if there are some other SimMars R$$ buildings for stage 7 lots...

Cool, more futuristic diversity. You'll not have the same building taking over the city.

But what about lots with no suitable SimMars building? Here is an example, a stage 7 R$ apartment building. I test all R$ SimMars buildings, but the results were stage 8 or 6 or 5... you get it.

So the only solution is using a Maxis building, an as suitable as possible one, and remove the misery feeling from the lot. Here it is, trees and cleaner ground. To make it more realistic and less possible to be constructed, the building will appear only in corner.

I have no idea when (or if) the project will released. More pictures soon...
The Choice is Ours
---

noahclem

The Maxis re-lots look fantastic  &apls  Great job with the tutorial as well. The rover paths are also very well-done  :thumbsup:

whatevermind

Those rover paths are pretty awesome.  Always fascinating to see what you're up to over here.