Menu

LEX File Exchange
EA Support Files
SC4 Wikipedia
Network Addon Mod
Dependencies
Chat
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

July 24, 2021, 06:36:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support  (Read 1274071 times)

Offline Wiimeiser

Re: NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support
« Reply #3580 on: May 11, 2021, 04:51:15 AM »
I can't really object to a code cleanup. The cleaner and more consistent the code, the easier it is to develop new features.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Offline jeffryfisher

• Uncle Jeff
  • Forums Councilmember
  • The most local level of gov't is one citizen
    • Liberating Digital Content
« Reply #3581 on: May 11, 2021, 10:58:40 AM »
the "next big thing" in NWM development: the long-awaited diagonal intersection and crossing functionality.
Now that's exciting! Before making diagonal intersections though, be sure you're happy with the paths on diagonal networks themselves. Last time I looked, TLA-7 was a little bit squeezed, with only pedestrians able to use the outermost cells. As a result, TLA-7 had no more capacity than TLA-5 when diagonal.

Don't feel like you must finish all intersections at once; it would be amazing if you just rolled out one generally useful one to start (e.g. vanilla road).

:thumbsup:
Modding PC games since 1993 (back when we needed hex-editors)

Offline Jack_wilds

« Reply #3582 on: May 11, 2021, 05:22:39 PM »

"$Deal"$  ???   :-\

lets see if it will work...  &idea

:popcorn:    :satisfied:

Offline roadgeek

« Reply #3583 on: May 15, 2021, 04:32:27 PM »
However, one of the major issues I've encountered in the initial groundwork is that there's some notable inconsistencies in terms of how certain intersections are rotated.  These issues are, oddly enough, most prevalent with the single-tile networks, with the ARD-3--arguably the most unstable of all the NWM networks--being the biggest offender.
If we don't see any improvements on ARD-3, but we get additional capabilities with AVE-6 and AVE-7, I will not be the least bit disappointed!

Offline Tarkus

• Administrator
  • Forums Legend
  • NAM Team Tankadillo
    • NAM HQ
  • CL: Dr. PuzzlePiece
« Reply #3584 on: June 22, 2021, 04:49:48 AM »
What revamped NWM code gets you . . . not that anyone actually needs to build an absurdity like this:

-Alex

Offline Wiimeiser

« Reply #3585 on: June 22, 2021, 09:15:08 AM »
Looks like NAM 42 might have to drop the NWM from Lite at this rate... Hopefully we can do it the other way around soon, too.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 07:23:35 PM by Wiimeiser »

Offline Jack_wilds

« Reply #3586 on: June 22, 2021, 05:02:15 PM »
 :o  ???  :satisfied:

Offline roadgeek

« Reply #3587 on: July 19, 2021, 11:17:49 PM »
OWR-3 elevated perhaps?

Offline Tarkus

• Administrator
  • Forums Legend
  • NAM Team Tankadillo
    • NAM HQ
« Reply #3588 on: July 20, 2021, 12:09:22 AM »
Looks like NAM 42 might have to drop the NWM from Lite at this rate... Hopefully we can do it the other way around soon, too.

Even with the beefed-up NWM code in its current state, the "LowRAM" Controller is still only about 60MB, which is under the apparent threshold where the 4GB Patch and a 64-bit operating system is necessary (in case anyone is wondering . . . we don't know the exact threshold where it becomes necessary, but considering that NAM 36's Full Controller was 103MB, it's somewhere north of there).  A lot of the code gain with the NWM as part of "Project 51" (the NWM RUL2 code revamp) is with NWM x RHW situations, so that gets stripped out in the generation of the "LowRAM" Controller.  Whether or not that'll remain the case once all the eventual diagonal intersection work is completed remains to be seen.

I will also note . . . the unfinished/legacy "as-is" NWM diagonal intersections that we left in as a sort of "Easter egg" back with NAM 30/NWM 2.0 a decade ago will no longer work with the new code.  They were never officially supported in their existing form, in any case, and their rotations and IIDs are kind of all over the place, and as a result, we've determined it's going to be necessary to start fresh with them. 

OWR-3 elevated perhaps?

NWM Viaducts are on the list for future additions, but they're not going to be part of NAM 42.  We're still working out just when they'll be phased into the mod.  There's been some debate about whether NWM Viaducts in some form should come before diagonal at-grade intersections.

-Alex

Offline Wiimeiser

« Reply #3589 on: July 21, 2021, 06:47:50 PM »
I mentioned on the Discord that diagonal intersections should be given priority since we already have base network viaducts...

Offline Tarkus

• Administrator
  • Forums Legend
  • NAM Team Tankadillo
    • NAM HQ
« Reply #3590 on: July 22, 2021, 03:23:42 AM »
Indeed, the diagonal at-grade support has been my inclination as well.  The viaducts are also going to require some model work, which is always slower going with our limited resources on that front.  Much can be done with slight modifications to the existing Viaducts, to my knowledge, but if lots of custom geometry is required, that will slow that project down considerably when it comes time to do it.

-Alex

Offline roadgeek

« Reply #3591 on: Today at 02:35:47 PM »
Indeed, my vote is with the Diagonal NWMs as well. In fact, I would also vote to introduce FANWM before we venture too much more into viaducts. I will acknowledge though, that could possibly require new flex/starter pieces, but of course, so would new viaducts.
« Last Edit: Today at 02:41:37 PM by roadgeek »