• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Paris Seine Bridges

Started by xannepan, December 28, 2010, 01:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xannepan

I have tested the bridge using some random IDS. Again a lot off re-rendering testing etc required  :bomb: :bomb:  :angrymore:
These models are quite simple in itself, but the restrictions to create a bridge are cumbersome. Nevertheless I'm extremely happy with the result.

Girafe

Really nice work Alex.   &apls &apls

The work concerning the stones is much better I find, with more bump. The bridge is "clean" as it looks like that it was renovated few time ago.
Why there are not street lamp ? they are so beautiful  ::) Lighting the balustrade could be good too

a photo

Anyway really good job ;)

ps: do you chris or Simfox plugin for 3dsmax?
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

xannepan

I'm using Chris bat4max plugin... I haven't figured out yet how to tune the textures to produce similar results with simfox' plugin 9but I really hope some day I'll learn how).
These models and night-lighting and texturing is really problematic, because the model is composed of several pieces which all have to match seamlessly when they form a bridge. This limits what I can do with textures etc (I'm not even gonna try as building these models is becoming more frustrating than fun   :bomb:)

Anyway; I will upload the 3dsmax files so anyone in the community can help try to improve the bridges...
Alex

Zacharuno

Wow. These bridges look amazing. I'm excited for them. Would it be possible to get them as a diagonal prop? Just for eye candy. If not, I'd still be happy. Any idea when pont neuf will be available?

threestooges

Those look amazing Alex. I've been out of town over the weekend, so I haven't been around. I'll fire off the requested IDs and reserve the ranges for you. Look for a PM shortly.
-Matt

xannepan

Thanks Matt for the IDs. I have just uploaded the new bridge for scrutineering to the BSC private LEX.

This is a new model I'm wokring on... Pont Royal.
I'm still limiting myself to relatively simple models.

threestooges

Simple is good.

I'll see if I can have a look at the files.
-Matt

xannepan

I have uploaded two new bridges (pont st michel and pont royal) to the BSC private lex, but I'm not sure if any one can see them. Can anyone please check and confirm.
Thanks,
Alex

rooker1

Yes, I can see them, I'm sure they will be scrutinized right away.
I will see if I can look at them tonight. 
Very nice looking, BTW!

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

xannepan

I'm going to experiment with a much more complex model. Pont notre dame. I have severe limitations to what I can do with the model, because it has to be build up from the three base pieces. Since I'm using overhanging end and support pieces the repeat pieces are likely to mess up the model in the game. I'm hoping however that I have modelled the end and support pieces in such way that they will "cover" the slightly smaller repeat piece parts. This technique has somes severe restrictions... and I'm still not sure I will succeed... let's see..

iskrem

Fantastic work Xannepan :thumbsup:
The textures on the bridges looks very good, can´t wait to try them ingame!
Now we only need a nice and matching river embankment set to go with the bridges ;)

Regards,
Iskrem

xannepan

Much to my surprise the strategy for building the notre dame bridge -where the overhanging start piece LOD covers the repeat pieces - works! This way I should even be able to make a functional London Tower Bridge....

A generic question that remains however is the following. If you start dragging the bridge from 1-tile land-inward then the starter piece is placed much better when compared to dragging 2-tile land-inward. In the latter case the shore (tile) covers part of the start piece (see picture). However, for the 1-tile example on the opposite shore you always have to continu to drag at least 2-tiles before the game let's you complete the bridge (looks like a bug to me)

Does anyone know if we can change this behavior? Is there perhaps a generic bridge RUL file that controls this behavior?

Alex

rooker1

I do my best to always place bridges perfectly from shore to shore and I have seen this before with other bridges and I have been able to change this behavior by changing the width of the river and sometimes even the hieght of the shore.

Robin
Call me Robin, please.

Nexis4Jersey

Wow , these will be great additions to my small towns. :)    Any Avenue , RHW , or Railway alternates planned?

threestooges

Glad to hear the technique works.

As for the bridge depth thing, do you have the bridge height mod installed? if so, I've seen instances where the bridge will extend multiple tiles inland with the slightest slope. It seem to be the issue from my experience (Maxis bridge or custom). Starting the bridge at the edge where you want it seems to be the best option, and I'm not aware of any way to prevent it.
-Matt

xannepan

I'm experimenting a bit with more advanced models (knowing that there will be in game limitations that are unavoidable).
It's not exactly a Paris Seine bridge... but here is...

I intent to model the towers (everything above the ground level) as overhanging props which i will add to the bridge end and support pieces by T21 examplars. I have experimented with this technique and it works. The major limitation is that the bridge will only look right for a fixed length. So placement will be problematic. I'll release a specific placement helper lot along with the bridge to make life a bit easier. I think it'll be worth it.

-Alex

Glazert

What a fun surprise! I certainly didn't expect to see this in a Paris Seine thread!

MandelSoft

Well, you can call that bridge a functional landmark ;) It looks great!
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Badsim

Quote from: Glazert on January 16, 2011, 12:44:19 PM
What a fun surprise! I certainly didn't expect to see this in a Paris Seine thread!

Indeed !  ;D

Promising ...

&apls &apls &apls

Cédric.

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

ScottFTL

Quote from: xannepan on January 16, 2011, 11:18:59 AM
The major limitation is that the bridge will only look right for a fixed length. So placement will be problematic. I'll release a specific placement helper lot along with the bridge to make life a bit easier. I think it'll be worth it.

Amazing!  &apls I don't think anyone will be complaining.  I'll certainly be happy to do some terraforming to make this beauty fit.  :thumbsup: