• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Railroad crossings and other traffic props

Started by jondor, May 31, 2011, 02:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hadrean

This is amazing! I remember I downloaded some non-animated ones from somewhere before my harddrive died. I've been looking for those, but I think I'll just wait for these since these are a million times better!

TJ1

PERFECT JONDOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will they be ones for all NWM networks even the new ones in 2.0? These are nice but I prefer yours :) @hadrean: you might be talking about these, i have a link for them in my fourm signature but  we'd rather wait on jondors,

jdenm8

Just to show what we can do with these new props...

Some realism in proportions and Target Boards!

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

jondor

Quote from: jdenm8 on June 17, 2011, 07:13:47 PM
Just to show what we can do with these new props...

[image]

Some realism in proportions and Target Boards!

I likey!  :thumbsup:  Glad you could make something even nicer out of my rather basic traffic light.

Quote from: TJ1 on June 17, 2011, 03:07:10 PM
PERFECT JONDOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will they be ones for all NWM networks even the new ones in 2.0? These are nice but I prefer yours :) @hadrean: you might be talking about these, i have a link for them in my fourm signature but  we'd rather wait on jondors,

Yes, I plan to make T21's for all the Maxis, SAM, NWM and RHW networks that support STR, DTR and GLR crossings as well as my TuLEP rail crossings that will be coming in NAM 30.  Including options for different props depending on wealth level and zone type.  Everything from passive sign posts for rural settings, to lights without gates, to older and modern style gantries, and even a few surprises.  ;)
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

kassarc16

Quote from: jondor on June 17, 2011, 08:04:59 PMYes, I plan to make T21's for all the Maxis, SAM, NWM and RHW networks that support STR, DTR and GLR crossings as well as my TuLEP rail crossings that will be coming in NAM 30.  Including options for different props depending on wealth level and zone type.  Everything from passive sign posts for rural settings, to lights without gates, to older and modern style gantries, and even a few surprises.  ;)

Oh wow! I was just expecting a small project, but you're going the distance! Can't wait!

jdenm8

A small video I made up to showcase these signals. You may see these released, depends on how possible it is to get it to replace all signals in the game, not just the odd NAM one like current and whether Jondor wants these distributed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1vUCaeFVic

Aaron Graham

-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

jondor

Time for a new teaser.  Two of them in fact:
http://www.youtube.com/v/pbY6npq58rw?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0

http://www.youtube.com/v/9RhLBWzr6pM?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0

The AVE-6 crossing was a tricky one.  All the triple tile NWM networks share components. AVE-6 and TLA-7 share the outer lanes as do AVE-8 and TLA-9, both AVE's and both TLA's share the center median or turn lane tile.

So, while the 3 Lane gate is perfectly sized to cover the AVE-6 right up to the median if placed at the edge of the road like the other networks, in order to get everything to line up across every tile combination, there has to be exactly one setup shared by all of the triple tile networks.  Those flashers on the end of the gantries are actually part of the middle tile while the gantries and part of the outer tiles.  The t-21s will eventually be getting some barriers to protect those median gates from unwary motorists, especially on the TLA's.

In real life, both gates would probably span half the road, but a pair of 2 Lane gates would leave too wide a gap in the middle (unless I lengthen them) and I needed an excuse to use this massive gate. :D  You'll also notice this shot shows off the modularity of the flashers a bit more.  Each gantry has three flashers facing the oncoming traffic (discounting the one on the pole), but only two facing the opposing traffic.  The median gates also have flashers only facing traffic.

Also: I should emphasize that the AVE-8 and TLA-9 will not be in NWM 2.0 because they're largely incomplete at the moment, In fact I had to go in and re-enable them manually to get things lined up for this test shot.  One advantage of being on the NAM team.   $%#Ninj2

Quote from: jdenm8 on June 18, 2011, 07:54:04 AM
A small video I made up to showcase these signals. You may see these released, depends on how possible it is to get it to replace all signals in the game, not just the odd NAM one like current and whether Jondor wants these distributed.
As I said before, you're free to do what you want with those signal models.  There are many more talented texture creators than me who can make something pretty spectacular (as you have done) out of a model that took hardly any time to put together.  I am nothing if not generous.  :thumbsup: (A name drop would be nice, of course.  ;) )
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

Tarkus

Wow, just wow. :o  Those gates are just fantastic--you've really outdone yourself!

-Alex

jondor

Quote from: Tarkus on June 19, 2011, 02:02:49 AM
Wow, just wow. :o  Those gates are just fantastic--you've really outdone yourself!

-Alex

I will need to work on the textures a little before release.  They look a little too bright and cartoony at the moment, but compared to the work involved in setting up the S3Ds (which is peanuts compared to what making ATC animations for all these would have been), a few minutes in Photoshop later is nothing.

The community owes you a debt of thanks as well.  If I hadn't been recruited to the NAM team, I doubt I would have spent enough time mucking around in the reader to learn how all this stuff works, or had the inspiration to take on such a project in the first place.  :thumbsup:

jdenm8

I agree, those gates and lights look fantastic!
They'll bring some life to SC4's railroad crossings!
All we need now is a bell loop that plays when the animation is active :P

jondor

Quote from: jdenm8 on June 19, 2011, 02:26:45 AM
I agree, those gates and lights look fantastic!
They'll bring some life to SC4's railroad crossings!
All we need now is a bell loop that plays when the animation is active :P

I've been looking through the sound properties off and on.  Believe me, if it's possible and I can figure it out, you'll get your bells.  :P

I think it's interesting to note the modularity involved here.  Each individual prop is its own separate entity, all strung together with some very precise T21 editing.  Across all three tiles, the AVE-6 crossing is actually 32 separate props.

The outer tiles each have a gantry, a bell pole and a (very long) gate (the pole and gate created as two separate props to save a LOT of polygons), two crossbucks, and five flashers.
The middle tile has two bell poles, two gates, two crossbucks and six flashers (two on the bell poles and four hovering in midair so that they sit perfectly on the gantry as it overhangs into their tile.

Thanks to the true 3D animations, the game doesn't have any z-fighting issues like it does with the ATC animations.  If you remember the ATC gate frames, they had to include the bell pole.  Here the pole is a standard isometric bat model and the gate is an animated true 3D model.  And yet they integrate beautifully with no problems whatsoever.  :)

This took some very skin tight LODs around the gantries and bell poles in the BAT, but the results are well worth it.  That old school triangulated gantry was a bit of a pain to LOD, but you'll see it appear here pretty soon.

jdenm8

I'm sure Maxis would have left some kind of facility for it. If they can make a sound effect that plays when an ElRail train stops at a station (an announcement) I'm sure there would be a facility for this. It's too much of a staple to be left.

Downside would probably be that it'll probably play when crossing all networks.

superhands

great to see Rembrandt finishing Leonardo's work :thumbsup: nice stuff.

jondor

I spent a little time again with the AVE-6 crossing, A pair of 2 Lane gates works out a bit better here.

http://www.youtube.com/v/LgMUKHKPDP8?hl=en&fs=1
Don't worry, the 3 Lane gate will still have plenty of applications.

You also might notice the crossbucks have been revamped.  For zoom 5, I swapped out the blurry BAT textures for a scaled down version of the high res texture I used.  It's still not quite legible, but I think it's a vast improvement.

Stay tuned.  :thumbsup:

TJ1

MandelSoft

Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Nexis4Jersey

Ah , now thats perfect.... &apls    Are you going to make a euro version?

jondor

Quote from: mrtnrln on June 20, 2011, 03:53:56 AM
The new setup looks much better :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Quote from: Nexis4Jersey on June 20, 2011, 05:24:44 AM
Ah , now thats perfect.... &apls    Are you going to make a euro version?

Once the North American props are all done, I do intend to start working on Euro props based on these posted back on page 1.

Update: Here's a couple more videos including the old style gantry I promised a little while back!
http://www.youtube.com/v/6HHOYpN4Bs0?hl=en&fs=1

And the Maxis road crossing gets a much needed upgrade:
http://www.youtube.com/v/_7PccHRYK6w?hl=en&fs=1

It's just amazing what a relatively small set of props, carefully arranged can accomplish.  I may add another gantry style later just to increase the variety available.

Fresh Prince of SC4D

Did I hear a euro version of ?  Sweet  &hlp !
Returning from Call of Duty . Must rebuilt what I destroyed....