• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SimCity4 10 years!

Started by mave94, January 14, 2013, 12:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike3775

in 2018, the NAM team will be releasing RHW 231, with the new RHW 22C(with L0-L10 variants), and Z will have managed to make the traffic simulator be so realistic, Maxis will beg him to work for them on their next botched SimCity game  :)

vortext

Quote from: FrankU on January 16, 2013, 05:31:57 AM
P.S: we have these virtual CD-programs that can handle a CD image file like it were a CD/DVD reader, meaning that I can put the original disk into a secure place and use the image instead. But I guess these don't work with copy-protected disks?

Yes it will, it's actually how I play SC4. :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

whatevermind

Wow, ten years! Seems like just yesterday we were celebrating it's ninth birthday. I think it was '04 when I got the game, maybe late '03. I remember being so excited about finally being able to play the 'neighbors' that were always tantalizingly just out of reach in SC2K and SC3K. Somewhere in my archives I still have my first region. It took me all of about an hour to bankrupt my first city, left with a barren waste of mostly-abandoned R$ high rises, and that's when I realized this game was going to require a bit more finesse than the previous versions had. It didn't take long to get the hang of it though, and before long I was building sprawling metros I would gladly call home.

The game wasn't perfect, but the community quickly saw to it that some of the more pressing issues were fixed. SC4TF, NAM, RTMT, and a handful of custom buildings and I was good to go. Four computers later and I'm still playing off the same disk.  ::)

Speaking of which, vortext, do tell.

vortext

Well, first I made a copy, or a so-called virtual image of the discs. Most default CD burning software has this option, otherwise download for instance CloneCD (note it has a 21-day trial period, should be sufficient though).
Next I installed Virtual CloneDrive, which is freeware and used to acces the image.

Now, starting the game is still a two-step process but rather than putting the physical disc in the drive, I mount the image of the RH disc and then launch the game as usual.   

It's quite easy to create the image files and once done, the discs aren't really needed anymore as you can even do a complete reinstall from the images!

A small sidestory then, seems appropriate given the 10 year celebration. When I rediscovered SC4 ~2.5 years ago, or more precise, when I discovered the online community I couldn't find my copy anywhere. Either sold, misplaced during a move or lend out and never returned, to this day I still can't recall what happened. In any case, upon seeing all this amazing content, I quickly set sail to the murkier waters of the internet. However, it turned out the nightlighting didn't work without a properly patched/updated version. So eventually I bought a secondhand copy online and it was actually the seller who gave me this tip to use an image file to prevent wearing the discs. Since then I've only used the discs once to make the images and keep them safely tucked away as an ultimate back-up.  :thumbsup:

And for those wondering, yes, I use UI icons for all game related folders and stuff. ;D
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

FrankU

Hi Vortex,

Thanks, I never tried, because I presumed it would not work and I dislike installing stuff that does not work. Althoug most of the time when something doesn't work the way I like I just do a system restore and everything should be ok.
Anyway. I'll try to make this work, because it makes me feel more safe concerning the state of the disk.

And I'd like to take another ten years with this game.

Frank

ggzagor

Some have tried, they are trying........but you resist and resist even the usurpation of your name.
Happy Birthday SimCity!
Thanks to all the fans who with their talent have made ​​it so durable.

mikeseith

Best game ever.  Here's to another 10 years of custom content.

Terring7

10 years ago, I was looking forward to by the game &hlp
10 years later, I can build colonies on Mars &dance
10 years from now... who knows? ;D
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

FrankU

Quote from: vortext on January 17, 2013, 06:35:05 AM
Well, first I made a copy, or a so-called virtual image of the discs. Most default CD burning software has this option, otherwise download for instance CloneCD (note it has a 21-day trial period, should be sufficient though).
Next I installed Virtual CloneDrive, which is freeware and used to acces the image.

Now, starting the game is still a two-step process but rather than putting the physical disc in the drive, I mount the image of the RH disc and then launch the game as usual.   

Thanks Vortex! It works perfectly.
And now I do a system restore, so that the 21 days will not be wasted.
Maybe the mounting and starting up can be put into a *.bat file? I'll see.....

Frank

Diggis

I use Daemon Tools lite for mounting my discs.  You have have it automatically load the disc up do you don't have to. You can also created as many virtual drives as you feel like to load other games.  Some games don't work with this (CnC3 is one) but many do.

FrankU

I found out that I can have up to 8 virtual discs. They are mounted automatically every startup of the computer if I like. It's good enough for me. At least very convenient.

catty

I use Alcohol 52% (paid version) its now a bit old as the company has replaced it with Alcohol 120%

http://www.alcohol-soft.com/

I've never had a problem with it, but I only use it for my SimCity Games.

-catty
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

girlfromverona

10 years of SC4! Wow, I feel so old.

I remember when I first played the original SimCity, it was like a dream come true. No more making roads in the dirt in my backyard and drawing maps in my schoolbooks - I could actually have a functioning city on our computer! My life was forever changed. ;D

Regarding your question, Frank: I've recently moved overseas for a bit and didn't bring my SC4 discs with me, so I purchased the deluxe version off Steam. It works well. But I'm glad to know I have the discs at home as a back up.

Piteri

Sim City 4!
I remember you only having elevated highways and no car ferries.

I played you from day 1! unfortunately Stephen Colbert was wrong as I have taken to a career in the military (irony!).

freedo50

What with all the hype about the new version, I've found myself back here some 4 years after my last visit, and it still feels like home (nice to see the old faces are still around too - hi guys!)

I'm seriously considering re-installing the game, but I don't know if I can face the endless task of mod collecting & organisation I'll inevitably get sucked into if I do. &mmm

What to do, what to do... ()what()

FrankU

Do you know what is worse than starting all over again? Updating the whole bunch every month and still trying to let your existing cities keep working!

:'(  ()what()  :-[  :-[  :-\  >:(  :angrymore:  :thumbsdown:

So don't worry. It's good to start all over again with a fresh plugins folder and all the awkward stuff waiting for you on this site!

Swordmaster

Welcome back Fred. As you can see, Frank is still the same :D

Cheers
Willy

memo

Quote from: freedo50 on March 05, 2013, 10:03:00 AM
I'm seriously considering re-installing the game, but I don't know if I can face the endless task of mod collecting & organisation I'll inevitably get sucked into if I do. &mmm

You know what I did? I directly started with modding again. You don't have the time to play the game then, and thus, there is no need to collect all the mods and plugins.

sandrasim1

Quote from: freedo50 on March 05, 2013, 10:03:00 AM
What with all the hype about the new version, I've found myself back here some 4 years after my last visit, and it still feels like home (nice to see the old faces are still around too - hi guys!)

What to do, what to do... ()what()

Do it.  ;D

Welcome back. I have also been away for 4 years. After reading about the mess called SimCity 2013 I decided to re-install SC4 just a month ago. Compared to what we had 10 years ago it feels like a new game to me. I found out that thinking about collecting mods and plugins was worse than actually doing it. Start small with just the things that you can't live without and take it from there.

I just made one little mistake by installing the BAT tool as well just to check out some old unfinished projects. It looks like they will end up being finished projects instead.  :D
"I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work"  Thomas Alva Edison

vester