• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NORO Trams and Textures

Started by noahclem, April 28, 2015, 11:28:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should default TIR and TOR textures be stone (like TOS) or asphalt (like the old versions)?

Stone pavers
45 (35.2%)
Asphalt
83 (64.8%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Swordmaster

Great! Art's suggestion has some merit, but there are a few roundabouts here with pavement along the tram tracks because buses also follow that route straight through the center.

Cheers
Willy

romualdillo

It looks gorgeous!!  &apls

Are you going to do all your roundabouts with the tram passing through the center? It's possible to have "normal" roundabouts?. I would like to have the possibility of placing a monument inside it.

noahclem

Thanks for all the great feedback guys!

First I wanted to solicit feedback on a problem I had with some tram stops. While the original (LHT) model of the barrier stops has always worked perfectly I got a weird texture discoloration when I tried the newer RHT version. The stops appear perfect when in isolation but when a TIR piece is next to them the lot textures get darker. When a TIR piece is on both sides they seem to get twice as dark.

Anyone have an idea what might cause that? The models are otherwise excellent, just like their LHT counterparts.

And here's the latest on the textures:

The diagonal intersections still need crosswalks but are otherwise good to go.

Quote from: romualdillo on February 02, 2016, 10:09:33 AM
It looks gorgeous!!  &apls

Are you going to do all your roundabouts with the tram passing through the center? It's possible to have "normal" roundabouts?. I would like to have the possibility of placing a monument inside it.

For these tram-on-street roundabouts the tram will have to go through the center but the textures I made for these will be very easily converted to the SAM roundabout with this same type of textures. Unfortunately these roundabouts don't have space for a lot in the middle so a monument would need to be T21ed to the center or placed using an overhanging lot.

Quote from: Swordmaster on February 02, 2016, 08:32:43 AM
Great! Art's suggestion has some merit, but there are a few roundabouts here with pavement along the tram tracks because buses also follow that route straight through the center.

Cheers
Willy
Quote from: art128 on February 02, 2016, 03:05:26 AM
Wonderful textures. :)

As I mentioned on Skype (Seems you missed it) I think it's more logical of the pavement texture between the rails stops at the start of the inner roundabout for grass. I would also not cut the ring of grey stones.

This is what I meant:

Thanks a ton for all your help guys. I need to do some revisiting or variation with these as I think I'm just lacking enough RL examples. Going with a grass version without surrounding sets would mean I would need to sort out how the tram rails over grass should actually look, including the wear beneath the tramways that seems to always be present in those situations. If the center of this kind of small roundabout would also include a way for buses to go through than I would need to widen the pavement enough that they would actually fit. I think I misunderstood the thing about the gray rocks in the middle. I always see roundabouts with some kind of inner area of pavement so large trucks or mistaken drivers don't actually run over grass or whatever is in the middle of the roundabouts. I have all the files saved in a way that these kinds of changes would be easy to make and variations are also a definite possibility.

Quote from: Simcoug on February 02, 2016, 07:44:45 AM
:popcorn:
:thumbsup:

Quote from: kbieniu7 on February 02, 2016, 03:07:57 AM
Wow :shocked2: Fabolous...

Quote from: Vizoria on February 02, 2016, 01:53:03 AM
Very pretty, you even lightened the curb in places to highlight the lowered curb at pedestrian crossings.
Thanks a lot--glad you noticed that detail!

Quote from: Gugu3 on February 02, 2016, 01:08:12 AM
Great stuff :thumbsup:
Thanks!

Quote from: mgb204 on February 01, 2016, 10:47:25 PM
This just keeps getting better  &apls

I wouldn't have a use for such textures myself, but here mixed in with Romaualdillo's bats everything is just so :). Glad you are still pushing on with this project, it's a whole new level of quality for GLR.
Thanks Robin! Glad to keep having your strong support!

Quote from: reddonquixote on February 01, 2016, 10:33:58 PM
Wow, that looks fantastic - great work  :thumbsup: &apls &apls
Thanks a lot Jay! Really appreciated :)

Quote from: Simmer2 on February 01, 2016, 09:21:11 PM
Magnificent  &apls &apls
Thank you very much :)

Swordmaster

Great progress of which I'm very happy to be in the firing line  :satisfied:

Good to see those pesky diagonals are up. I'd also be happy to provide RL examples though you know Antwerp tramways have their own particulars--ballast seems ever present when not on pavement.

Cheers
Willy

Simmer2

I just love HD!! Excellent work Noah  &apls &apls
________________________________________________________________________________

Gugu3

kbieniu7

For RL examples of tram tracks in grass, the best is to look at France. Their tramway systems are not just the transport network - they seem to be the art as well.

Here you have a small piece of grass (that seems not to do too well):
https://www.google.pl/maps/@43.6143893,3.8815183,3a,88.8y,268.26h,66.33t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1srbTbOUpO4SFxc0tG0qp7lg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DrbTbOUpO4SFxc0tG0qp7lg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D68.091286%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=pl

A big roundabout with full grass:
https://www.google.pl/maps/@43.6018213,3.9004022,3a,75y,35.94h,72.6t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sOWkt6fCBXNklc14iUE7kbQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DOWkt6fCBXNklc14iUE7kbQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D35.875782%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=pl

A roundabout, where you have neither grass nor pavement:
https://www.google.pl/maps/@43.6194743,3.8695311,3a,89.7y,337.85h,74.04t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sOeWQzxkJUn4yGMU0Wf67hg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DOeWQzxkJUn4yGMU0Wf67hg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D53.696541%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=pl

I think, that Arthur may find more examples from his own "neighbourhood" :)

In Poland, even though it's became much more popular to make green tracks, no one would care about such small piece of grass. We will just pave it (such a pity!) For smiliar reason, I think there's no big point in making a corridor for buses - it's not a big intersection, that's a small roundabout somewhere on minor streets. Imagine, how little of grass will be left there, if we decide to pave it for busses? In such case, if we need to make it more compatible for big vehicles, I think everything would be paved with the middle island just painted.

So, to sum up: for me, if we talk about the middle island, there are two options - full grass and no grass (paved). Conditions different from 0 or 1 are not applicable in a roundabout so small :)

Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

romualdillo

:bnn: :bnn: :bnn: :bnn:
(yes, it's a stupid comment, but that's how I feel now)

Kergelen

Wonderful textures and tram stations &apls

Links to SC4 websites

manga rivotra

Your textures are really superb ! and about the roundabout question, i fully agree with kbieniu7 opinion when he said :
QuoteSo, to sum up: for me, if we talk about the middle island, there are two options - full grass and no grass (paved). Conditions different from 0 or 1 are not applicable in a roundabout so small :)
I just want to add that having the two types of roundabout in our Plugins'folder would be perfect  ;D
Thanks for you great work  :thumbsup:

Swordmaster

Some missing links in the Tram-on-Street network. . . Textures by Noah (obviously), coding by myself.

Yes, all these are draggable. :bnn:

Cheers
Willy

Gugu3

Themistokles

Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

Simcoug

bombardiere

I am a latecomer to this thread but this is fantastic.

woodb3kmaster

Those GLR textures are fantastic! They're just the sort of quality I had hoped to achieve in my planned remake of the original GLR textures (the grey ones, if you're unsure which ones I mean). I'm especially glad to see third-rail variants, as I'm one of those players who prefer to use GLR as a metro-like network. I'd love to collaborate on this project if you're interested in adding another texture set.

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

noahclem

Thanks a lot for all the feedback guys--and especially to Willy for his fantastic work making the wilder dreams of this project suddenly within easy reach ;)

Special welcome to bombardiere and woodb3kmaster :)

Quote from: woodb3kmaster on February 19, 2016, 11:52:16 PM
Those GLR textures are fantastic! They're just the sort of quality I had hoped to achieve in my planned remake of the original GLR textures (the grey ones, if you're unsure which ones I mean). I'm especially glad to see third-rail variants, as I'm one of those players who prefer to use GLR as a metro-like network. I'd love to collaborate on this project if you're interested in adding another texture set.

I've not really been pursuing the 3rd rail style beyond basic proof of concept, having instead focused on the massively time-intensive HD RRW style rural GLR, but it would be a nice feature to have that I'm sure many would find useful. You're certainly welcome to collaborate, whether expanding on the existing styles I've been working on or doing your own variant. If it's something you'd like to do I could give you read access to all the development files, which I keep on MS onedrive, and add a sub-folder there for your work with read/write access for you. There's tons of layered .xcf files in there (I use GIMP) and you're welcome to borrow any of the elements in there, like rails for example, for use in any of your own projects :)

On that note, anyone else interested in collaborating or just wanting access to all the dev files for their own purposes is more than welcome. Note this is not the same as getting access to alpha versions of the mod, which I'm also happy to make available on request--iirc the dev files are at least a GB of less than perfectly organized .xcfs with layers separated as well as all the .pngs that actually make up the current state of the mod. A full alpha version with all HD textures takes up only a fraction of that space.

No progress to report for the moment, have been trying to focus on school with free sc4 time spent playing the game with some time using PIMX and lotting.

woodb3kmaster

Quote from: noahclem on February 20, 2016, 06:23:07 PM
I've not really been pursuing the 3rd rail style beyond basic proof of concept, having instead focused on the massively time-intensive HD RRW style rural GLR, but it would be a nice feature to have that I'm sure many would find useful. You're certainly welcome to collaborate, whether expanding on the existing styles I've been working on or doing your own variant. If it's something you'd like to do I could give you read access to all the development files, which I keep on MS onedrive, and add a sub-folder there for your work with read/write access for you. There's tons of layered .xcf files in there (I use GIMP) and you're welcome to borrow any of the elements in there, like rails for example, for use in any of your own projects :)
That would be fantastic - and certainly more than I had hoped for! Thanks for being so willing to share your dev files! I look forward to getting a direct behind-the-scenes look at how you've made these amazing textures. :)

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

Swordmaster

Going in Noah's dev folders? This is how you should dress, Zack:

:laugh:

Cheers
Willy

vester

:D

You could say the same on some of my folders.

Great work Noah.