• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Chock full of trains...

Started by running naked in the snow, July 16, 2007, 11:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

running naked in the snow

Hello Everyone

Im just checking in, and at the same time request some kind of help. I have been using Sketchup Pro to for modelling, then 3dsmax for textures. However I have been stuck in a major funk, because I cannot just texture the model properly. I have detached the models into individual parts as per tutorials, but I cannot apply jpg textures onto the polygons itself. When I tried it today, I couldnt even get it to apply properly- showing a entirely different color than what I intended it to be.

As of this point, I have completed:

• an 2-track HSRP station based on Philly;s 30th St Station;

• San Diego Union Station-styled Commuter Rail Stations;
  • San Diego Union Station;
  • and the most current one-- a free-standing, overhanging addition to Ill Tonkso's Ill Tonksos Charing Cross Stationto accomodate HSRP service.

How does the add-on work? Simple. It is an station that is overhanging, so it will fit like such:

My apologies for such a rough mash-up, but most of the white on the station side will disappear into the station itself.

My questions, then, is these:

1) Can someone please, PLEASE direct me to a good texturing tutorial for 3dsmax? I have tried some, and all Simtropolis had was GMAX tutorials. I still do not understand why some detached polygons will allow me to apply textures while others wouldnt; and how to properly texture. I tried tiling some kind of repetative textures but it turned out horrible, like it was blurred into many, many insiginificant pieces. Also, when I import models from Sketchup to 3dsmax, I cannot select a cylinder at all (the water tank in the Charing Cross HSRP Addition) So, yeah, help would be appreciated here-- modelling gets boring when I cant texture worth a darn.

2)I have an side-project that involves trains (you may think im a train geek after this..) I wanted to standardize the looks of my train except for different colors for each main routes (both have the same engine, but regular rail/'Commuter'= red, HSRP = blue) and have designed an TGV skin train to fit my needs. I have successfully applied it to the commuter part of my rail system, however, I have no clue how to replace the TGV models and skins into the HSRP project. Any hints would be appreciated. ( I tried the current HSRP skins, but I dont like the shape of them all..)

3) I am also thinking about taking the reins for which I believe is the last big project of HSRP, an HSRP-rail connection. I know that doing so will probably make my HSRP addition to Charing Cross obselete, but, hey, lets try. There are many places where a train station would be great servicing both HSRP and regular, like it does in real-life.  I have already made textures for Olasz over at the Simtropolis HSRP thread, but he has apparently severe RL issue and will not be able to come back for another week or 3. (Honestly, dunno when he ll come back.) What kind of tutorials should I take up, to better understand this? I think this should be relatively easy-- unless Im wrong? I know Olasz made it possible for HSRP to run on regular rail, how would that work? That kind of question Im searching for. From what I know, it would be a 4-tile transtition lot, so it wont use the El-Train lot already out there. More than that, I dont know whats going on. Instead of sitting by idly...

Whew. Now to catch up on my breath and give my fingers a good rest.

-RNS

flame1396

That HSRP station at the top is very cool. Well textured
The most astounding and unique aspect of the human race is our fervent application of our ingenuity to kill each other, thus completely defying the near-universally proven fact that the ultimate goal of a member of a species is to ensure the survival of the species.

Quote from: flame1396 on July 16, 2007, 12:46:47 PM
That HSRP station at the top is very cool. Well textured

It is textured in sketchup before I knew the horrors of 3dsmax texturing ( I hope its not that hard as i think it is)-- SU is really easy in the texture department-- I think they designed it for the basic modeller like me.

As it stands at this point of time, I have to redo the 30th St. Philly HSRP station entirely because my modelling behaviors left alot of polygons-- too many to keep track of and detach when I wanted to texture.

freedo50

Hey RNITS (is it ok if i call you that?),
I used sketchup for some modelling for the game as well, but I have found that as soon as two splines/faces are joined together, sketchup seems to convert them into one. This means that texturing in Max or Gmax is horrendously difficult. I have been told that it can be done, but you'd have to ask someone like Callagrafx, or SimFox, one of our resident Max-perts  $%Grinno$%. Just so you know, I would love it if this can be done easily (or at all in fact!).

Fred

Andreas

Regarding the HSRP automata, you might want to contact Swamper77 - he's definitely the most knowledgeable automata modder around, so he should have an idea how to sort out the train skins.

At the momemt, HSRP is a replacement for the monorail, so I'm not sure if the HSRP trains can run on the regular rail tracks. Most likely, special path files will have to be created for this. But since not everyone wants to sacrifice his monorails for the HSRP, the most feasible approach of bringing the HSRP into the game would be the method that is currently used by the draggable GLR.

By using a starter puzzle piece, it's possible to extend the possibilities of a draggable network and make it look different. It is planned to include the HSRP into one of the next NAM versions, but the NAM team needs more people who can create the necessary pieces. It's great to see that you're about to create several stations, those are surely most useful, once the HSRP works independently of the monorail network.
Andreas

Quote from: Andreas on July 17, 2007, 02:39:21 PM
Regarding the HSRP automata, you might want to contact Swamper77 - he's definitely the most knowledgeable automata modder around, so he should have an idea how to sort out the train skins.

At the momemt, HSRP is a replacement for the monorail, so I'm not sure if the HSRP trains can run on the regular rail tracks. Most likely, special path files will have to be created for this. But since not everyone wants to sacrifice his monorails for the HSRP, the most feasible approach of bringing the HSRP into the game would be the method that is currently used by the draggable GLR.

By using a starter puzzle piece, it's possible to extend the possibilities of a draggable network and make it look different. It is planned to include the HSRP into one of the next NAM versions, but the NAM team needs more people who can create the necessary pieces. It's great to see that you're about to create several stations, those are surely most useful, once the HSRP works independently of the monorail network.

Olasz over at Simtropolis has it already running, it involved an mod that allowed basic monorail (HSRP now) to run on tracks, and left it up to people if they wanted to mod each train stations to accept monorail traffic. But ever since he mentioned it, he has sorta disappeared, so I dont have high hopes for it. I already made the textures for the transtition, so we'll see what happens. About draggable ground-HSRP based on the new techniques, how would I go with that? Theres no tutorials out yet but I m pretty interested in doing it.

Yes, I m aware not everyone want to sacrifice their monorails for HSRP, to the point where I have accepted this as a niche thing. But I still think there are people out there that will look at this and want it.

Thanks for the name-dropping, Andreas. I will contact Swamper and hopefully get this side project of mine going!

Quote from: freedo50 on July 17, 2007, 02:26:15 PM
Hey RNITS (is it ok if i call you that?),
I used sketchup for some modelling for the game as well, but I have found that as soon as two splines/faces are joined together, sketchup seems to convert them into one. This means that texturing in Max or Gmax is horrendously difficult. I have been told that it can be done, but you'd have to ask someone like Callagrafx, or SimFox, one of our resident Max-perts  $%Grinno$%. Just so you know, I would love it if this can be done easily (or at all in fact!).

Fred

Hanson (of the NYC CJ fame) does it, and by the looks of his BATs it CAN be done. I just need the know-how for textures. I ll see what Callagrafx and/or Simfox say about this, I will PM them soon.

BigSlark

RNITS,

I really like what you've done so far. Keep up the BAT'ing and there's always someone friendly and helpful around SC4D if you ask nicely.

Can't wait to see a release!

Cheers,
Kevin

JosefBrisko135

I would contact Jason on texturing, or read his tutorial on ST. He helped me get my textures together and they look great.
This is a cool BAT, hope to see it on the LEX.  :thumbsup:
Your signature was TOO BIG and TOO BULKY ... System ADMIN