• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Can you have these Bridges in game?

Started by Streetlight 725, September 03, 2008, 07:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Streetlight 725

Can you have these Bridges in the game?If so,Can you build them?
1st picture Highway bridge.
2nd picture Draw bridge.(it goes up)
Can be used for Road,Avenues,and Train bridges.

threestooges

In theory, any type of bridge can be modelled for the game if it fits with one of the existing transit networks. I have been working on a lift bridge (in a different style than the one you pictured), but if you are interested, you can create your own. Just take a look at this thread for a bridge making tutorial. If you aren't familiar with the BAT, I suggest looking at this thread at ST by phillippbo. It's a great tutorial to learn from. You can also check The Mouse House which is another good BAT tutorial.

Feel free to start a thread here if you do get into modelling a bridge and others, including myself, will be able to help give advice. Otherwise, it may be a while as there are only a few bridge makers currently, and not all take requests. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Swamper77

Draw bridges can be modeled for the game, but they won't actually be able to open. The game doesn't have the capability to stop vehicles because a model containing the roadway moved. So the draw bridge will have to be a static model for the game to use it.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

jplumbley

Quote from: Swamper77 on September 03, 2008, 09:18:16 PM
Draw bridges can be modeled for the game, but they won't actually be able to open. The game doesn't have the capability to stop vehicles because a model containing the roadway moved. So the draw bridge will have to be a static model for the game to use it.

-Swamper

*cough* *cough*

Im going to have to disagree with that statement.  ::)  There is information abroad on how to make Animated Props, Ive seen some awesome farm props like windmills made that are animated, oh man are they cool!  Anyways, back on topic... Well a bridge ismade up of models.. we *could* make some invisible models and then via T21 add props to these models.  Of course these wouldnt be just any old prop... they would be an Animated prop, just like a stoplight.  We could add stop paths for when the bridge goes "up" and it would look cool.

Only one problem... has anyone seen how much work goes into making an Animated prop?  EEEEEKKKS you dont wanna know.  I wouldnt expect something like this to cometo fruition any time soon (possibly never) but I am fairly certain it is doable.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Shadow Assassin

Yes, but are you sure you want the bridge to be constantly moving? :P

I think that's one of the flaws of animated props, they're images in an infinite loop that goes on and on and on. But if it was combined as part of a prop family (dunno if that can be done, combined with non-animated props) as a bridge raising animation then it switches to the bridge 'up' static model, then switches to the bridge dropping animation, then back to the normal... and the cycle repeats... maybe that could work?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

FrankU

Well sure it is possible.
I don't know zilch about the way it should be done, but I do have some very nice props with raising bridges and rotating bridges by PEG. They just span his own canal props and not the in-game water.
His raising bridges are just quite small, so I agree with Streetlight 725 that the bridge he showed would be very nice to have.
Even better: I would be veeeeeeryyyyy happy indeed with a raising bridge that would span real in game water.

JoeST

FrankU: PEG's "bridges" aren't bridges, they are just lots...

real bridges are a completely different ball game.

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

FrankU

Yes, that is true.
I only meant the fact that his bridges show two states: witching form opened to closed...
But I can guess that making real bridges that go up and down is a different job.

Diggis

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on September 04, 2008, 06:28:35 AM
Yes, but are you sure you want the bridge to be constantly moving? :P

I think that's one of the flaws of animated props, they're images in an infinite loop that goes on and on and on. But if it was combined as part of a prop family (dunno if that can be done, combined with non-animated props) as a bridge raising animation then it switches to the bridge 'up' static model, then switches to the bridge dropping animation, then back to the normal... and the cycle repeats... maybe that could work?

Except you can only have one change on a timed prop.  It would depend on whether the bridge RUL references a prop desc file, or a model file too.  If it's the later, no dice.

Streetlight 725

Quote from: FrankU on September 04, 2008, 08:06:53 AM
Yes, that is true.
I only meant the fact that his bridges show two states: witching form opened to closed...
But I can guess that making real bridges that go up and down is a different job.

I would like to bridge move up and down a lot. :)

nerdly_dood

I am reasonably certain that movable bridges aren't possible in SC4. Or at least they won't have full functionality and even that limited functionality will be very difficult.

The plain truss bridge, on the other hand, is definitely possible and frankly I'd like to see it in SimCity.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

Streetlight 725

The plain truss bridge is a great idea.Can somone make it?I can't mod or make stuff.

choco

there's a tutorial for bridge making, as well as several for the BAT.  maybe you wanna give it a try?  its not too difficult, but there's plenty of help available if you need it.    $%#Ninj2

Streetlight 725

choco

there's a maxis undertruss bridge already in the game....

i guess the point is, for me at least, that there's no need to reinvent the wheel.  most BATers have alot on their plate, and remaking something we already have is not priority to most.  hence my suggestion to give it a try.....

what were you having a problem with creating?

Toichus Maximus

I have a question, and please forgive my ignorance when it comes to these things. In regards to swing bridges and draw bridges, I've been thinking a lot of the ingame bridge that has the elevation gain in the center span. Do we know how to do that? Because if we do, it may be possible to trick the game into thinking the bridge was higher than it really is, and then make the actual timed props/animated props/whatever we plan to do with the drawbridge part and the modeling be far below what the game thinks as the bridge. I don't know if we could manage something like this, and I don't know if the paths would be able to drop as well as the modeling... it's just a thought.

Swamper77

The paths in the game are fixed in position. They can't move nor can they change directions based on the time of day. They are static 24/7 in the game. It's a shame that Maxis didn't allow for dynamic paths.

-Swamper
Pagan and Proud!

Toichus Maximus

well, the paths would remain constant (kinda phrased myself poorly). I just wasn't sure how the game reads the elevation change in the standard road bridge, because if it WASN'T based on the position of the paths or models, it'd be a hop skip and a jump to making a draw or swing bridge that was actually functional (i.e. ferry traffic could go through it) even if it was static and permanently closed.

Thats the bridge i'm reffering to.

Swamper77

The paths for each tile of the bridge are custom-fitted to each model that makes up the bridge. The paths of the various networks do not cause the boats to collide with a bridge. There are properties for each tile of the bridge that determine the collision between boats and the bridge. Each model of a bridge has an exemplar that defines properties for that tile of the bridge.

However, I like the idea of tricking the game of thinking the bridge is at one height, when it really is at another height. Some testing will have to be done in regards to that idea to see if it will work. I don't have the time to test this theory, unfortunately.

-Swamper
Pagan and Proud!

Streetlight 725

draw Bridges usally be straight.It can be elvated too because it has different hights.