• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

"Run out of Memory" - HELP

Started by RadicalOne, August 29, 2009, 05:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadicalOne

I'm having a problem preview rendering. I get a "this application has run out of memory and will now close" error. Could I have too many polygons, splines, and meshes on the model? I don't have a RAM shortage - I have 3 GB.

This is the last render of the model in question. There are approximately a few thousand objects (some of which are groups consisting of up to twelve objects) in the model.

Let's please keep this thread focused on resolving the issue. BAT suggestions can go here:
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=8697.0

dedgren

Oh, man- I hate it when that happens.

I'm not a BATter, my friend, but I have the same issue with really detailed maps.  My guess is that you'll have some helpful feedback here shortly.

Good luck!

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

RadicalOne

I got it working...too many objects. So I deleted a great many props. Look at the resources the program was taking! Is this normal, on a dual-core 3.6GHz (each) P4 system?

tag_one

With Gmax, yes. With gmax I was never able to make great looking skyscrapers without a lot of trouble (like 6 hour renderings for instance). I suggest 'buying' 3ds max. It makes life much easier ;)

RadicalOne

Quote from: tag_one on August 30, 2009, 02:15:15 AM
I suggest 'buying' 3ds max. It makes life much easier

I'm sure it does, but I am most certainly not comfortable with illegally downloading something like that.

callagrafx

Quote from: RadicalOne on August 30, 2009, 07:01:52 AM
I'm sure it does, but I am most certainly not comfortable with illegally downloading something like that.

I think the key word there was "buying"....   ::)

As for the RAM issue, are you running XP and do you have the /3GB added to the boot file?
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

RadicalOne

Quote from: callagrafx on August 30, 2009, 10:45:32 AM
I think the key word there was "buying"....   ::)
Then why was it in quotes?

QuoteAs for the RAM issue, are you running XP and do you have the /3GB added to the boot file?
I am running XP...how does one add 3GB to the boot file? XP found it and used it automatically. (System Info reads "3.00 GB of RAM").

callagrafx

Quote from: RadicalOne on August 30, 2009, 11:31:18 AM
Then why was it in quotes?
I don't know but I do know Tag_one would not suggest using pirate software.

Quote from: RadicalOne on August 30, 2009, 11:31:18 AM
I am running XP...how does one add 3GB to the boot file? XP found it and used it automatically. (System Info reads "3.00 GB of RAM").

Your system sees the physical RAM but unless the switch is enabled, applications cannot address the whole lot.

1. Right-click My Computer and select Properties. The System Properties dialog box will appear.
   2. Click the Advanced tab.
   3. In the Startup and Recovery area, click Settings. The Startup and Recovery dialog box will appear.
   4. In the System startup area, click Edit. This will open the Windows boot.ini file in Notepad.
   5. In the [Operating Systems] section, add the following switches to the end of the startup line that includes the /fastdetect switch: /3GB
   6. Save the changes and close Notepad.
   7. Click OK two times to close the open dialog boxes, and then restart the computer for the change to take effect.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

RadicalOne

QuoteI don't know but I do know Tag_one would not suggest using pirate software.
True. Either way, that's out of the question, as 3DS MAX is more expensive than my computer.

Set the boot.ini file to this?
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect switch: /3GB
?

callagrafx