• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Bridge Engineers needed....

Started by jeronij, April 03, 2007, 11:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeronij

Dear SC4D member,

Have you ever been interested in creating working bridges for our loved game?

Thanks to the NAM team efforts, it will soon be possible to create every type of bridges and upload them as individual uploads, being compatible with the NAM.

Being myself one of the NAM members with more experience in SC4 bridge making actually ( Smoncrie, where are you ?¿?  ::) ) , I have decided to support the members who want to design bridges for SC4, and modd their models so they can be used in the game.

I will explain a bit more about this in the next few days.  I hope some of your will be interested in that project  ;)
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

wouanagaine

I won't BAT anything, but I'm certainly more than interested in such a powerfull feature

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

Rayden

I might be interested in that. Just let me know how difficult and what to do and I will let you know if I am or not able to help out.

callagrafx

Piqued my interest too....will be keeping an eye on this
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

dedgren

If the bag of goodies on this site gets any bigger, it's going to take a forklift to move it around.

My lack of BAT skills means I'll be a watcher, too- but I won't stint a bit on providing encouragement.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Cali

I'd Love to give it a shot. Thats how ya learn ;)
"It's not a design flaw, It's my signature"

HabLeUrG

Id like and know to make a bridges at BAT, but dunno how to configure it at game...

jeronij

I am glad to see that there is so much interest in this project  :thumbsup:

As stated before, I will handle the tedious modding part and leave you the pleasure of the modelling and lightning  ;D

I plan to make a tutorial about the modding aspects of bridge making, but you shouldnt worry about that for the moment  ;)

If you want to start heating your GMAX/3DStudio you can check the Double Deck bridges thread at Simtropolis:
http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=124&threadid=70813&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

and the LODding tutorial here at SC4D:
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=158.0

And until I can find the moment to post the main rules for this project,  keep in mind that everything must be done using 16x16 tileable pieces. For a simple bridge only three pieces are needed, a start/end piece ( the game will mirror it), a pylon/center piece, and a repeat piece.

Lets see that virtuosism  ;D
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

callagrafx

content removed cos I'm a silly sod who should read posts more thoroughly before answering :D :D  I just read the bit about the modding tutorial :thumbsup:
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Rayden

I can see this is not going to be easy, special for a non-batter like me, but, what about if I already had the models, like the ones bellow? Could I make something out of it? And would you be able to help me or teach me?

I would rather help on the modding part, but I assume you prefer to do that yourself, so, the only way I can help is this way.
Or if anyone more comfortable with the BAT wants to give it a try at these just let me know.

jeronij

Rayden, any help you can give is welcome my friend. If you want to help modding you are welcome. I'll contact you about this.

But before we can mod anything, we need some models ready  ::) , so this is going to be the priority at the moment. I will make a basic tutorial will the rules for making the models, and post it here as soon as possible.

About the models, I would prefere original models when possible. Of course they can be based on existing ones  ;D

I have contacted Callagrafx about making things easier for modellers, and he will gently help us to create the right transit network textures for the bridges, so the new bridges will always fit with the existing TN textures. Thanks amigo  :thumbsup:

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Rayden

Ok, I'll let the originals to someone who knows how to make them. But I'll try to learn how to make that, and the only way I can do that right now, is to use those already made models.
I'll wait for your contact and try to help you out on the modding part where I'm sure I will be more confortable at.

jeronij

Rayden, you can use these models as a studio basis for your own bridges. When it comes to modelling, the BAT is like a giantic and neverending LEGO  ;) . Just a matter to join pieces  :P

Anyway, as mentioned before, I will contact you later about the modding part.

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

stewart_garden

Hi,

I was intrigued by the topic and want to offer my encouragement and appreciation to anyone who helps bring more variety and realism to game bridges.

I'm afraid I have zero batting/modding skills so I cannot provide any material help (at least for the time being).  However, I am a bridge engineer in real life and would be delighted to offer any help/suggestions etc with respect to how the things look and work in real life.

Keep up the good work!

Stewart
First things first, but not necessarily in that order.

jeronij

Hello Stewart,

nice to count with your support  :thumbsup:

Feel free to post some nice pictures about bridges you like, so we can get some inspiriation  ;D

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

jplumbley

I will definately read through the modding tutorial on bridges when you post it!  And if I have time I may offer my services :P
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

JBSimio

Well... you piqued my interest.  I don't want to promise anything before seeing the tutorial (it's always nice to know what I'm getting myself into!), but I might be up for modeling a bridge or two.  I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread.

JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

Tarkus

Definitely count me in, at least on the modding end of things.  (If anyone wants to do a bridge for the RHW mod, I'd be especially interested in helping out. ;))  Looking forward to your tutorial, Jeroni.  And Stewart, it's good to have a real bridge engineer around!

-Alex (Tarkus)

jeronij

I have just posted a beta version of the tutorial about making the bridge pieces here:
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=930.msg25066#msg25066

This tutorial is subjected to revisions and further enchancements  ;)

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Rayden

Great work Jer, I'm printing this out first thing tomorrow. I'll see how it goes during the weekend and do some training ;) I got to learn how to bat, no matter how  :P Thanks for the tutorial (1st part of it).