• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

ecoba'a Vegetarian Recipe Book

Started by ecoba, September 03, 2009, 04:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ecoba

Here's where ecoba (me) will post his vegetarian recipes and desserts to share with the world. At the beginning of each page I will denote, Vegetarian, Pescatarian, or Vegan, for your distinguishment. Have fun cooking!

Ethan

ecoba

Smackin' Mac'n'Cheez : Vegetarian

This recipe is from The Grit Cookbook. The Grit is a great vegetarian restaurant here in my town, and they've been dishing out goodness for years.

'Creamy in the middle, crispy on the top. Try to eat a little, but honk down 'til you pop!'

4 cups (1pound) dried elbow macaroni
12 cups water
6 tablespoons butter, divided
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
4 cups whole milk
1 generous teaspoon mustard, dry or prepared
2 teaspoons kosher salt
Black or cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon hot sauce
6 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1-1/2 cups fine bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit (thats 218 degrees centigrade for you metric folks). Grease a 9x13-inch (23x33cm) pan or glass casserole.
Bring water to a rolling boil in a large stockpot. Add macaroni and boil 8 to 10 minutes or just al dente. Remove and drain well; set aside.
Melt 3 tablespoons butter in the stock pot and add drained pasta, stirring to combine. Whisk together eggs, milk, mustard, salt, pepper, and hot sauce (this smells a little weird). Add to pasta and cheese. Stir mixture constantly over medium-high heat until cheese melts and milk and eggs begin to thinken. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until very thick and creamy. Transfer to prepared pan or casserole.
Melt remaining butter in a small saucepan and mix with bread crumbs. Spread mixture evenly over top of macaroni mixture. Bake 10 to 15 minutes. May be further browned by placing under broiler briefly, if desired.