• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Model Dimensions and Plugin Manager

Started by Rott, January 06, 2021, 02:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rott

So does the dimension of the lot affect the default settings when making it a commercial lot in the Plugin Manager? I made a 1x2 lot and the default jobs it provides when I drag the model into CS$$ is 29, where a larger model 2x3 when I do the same gives it something like 50-60 CS$$ jobs, just want to make sure I know more what it's doing before finalizing it...

Tyberius06

Hi!

Hm... I don't know the math behind these RCI values, I don't really care about math generally (specially in this game), but I do know that the size of the building/model (I'm not 100% sure but, maybe more precisely the LOD size of the model) does matter how many jobs the PM will offer to you. I never used Maxis PM, because since I've started lotting and modding I always used SC4 PIM-X (X-Tool) for lot making, prop creation etc... And this one even have a little bit different although more precise mechanism with better and more accurate values.
So short answere is that regarding jobs the size of the model does matter, but the size of the lot is rather irrelevant. You can have a small normally 1x2 size building on a 4x4 or even bigger lot, the PM will offer to you that 29 jobs, while you have a bigger 2x3 model on a 2x3 lot and you will get that 50-60 jobs, with the smaller lot.

IF i'm not mistaken. I know that PIM-X working like this (with a little extra, which helps you get more accurate values by using the filling degree property), I assume Maxis PM is working somehow the same way, but there are more experienced players out there who know the math behind the game better.

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

mgb204

Lot Size affects Density, i.e. the same building on a 1x1 lot is 4 times as dense as it would be on a 2x2 lot.

PIM-X calculates the stats, based on the size of the model, how much of that you define as occupiable (filling degree) space, the type of building and it's lot size or footprint. If anyone knows the exact math, it certainly doesn't appear to have been made public.

Maxis PIM did aim to do much the same sort of thing, it's just less reliable and sometimes makes huge errors that unnoticed make for problem lots.

But the key principle here is that if you consistently use PIM-X to mod your content, you will end up with a balanced set of stats between them. This means all content made with the tool should work really well together.

Rott

Thank you, one last thing, is there a manual or such for PIM-X?

Tyberius06

Quote from: Rott on January 10, 2021, 04:37:53 PM
Thank you, one last thing, is there a manual or such for PIM-X?

Hi!

Yepp, you can download it from LEX

SC4PIM User Guide v1

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

Rott

Yeah I just cannot get the program to work, I downloaded both patches and placed them in the folder but it still gives me the same error when I try to start it. Is there a version of the download with those already applied available because I cannot get it to work and no clue what I'm doing wrong...