• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

How do I make Overhanging Buildings?

Started by MattyFo, July 06, 2010, 12:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattyFo

I'm starting to build highway signs for a new region I'm starting that is really focusing on a major highway.  The Highway is basically a recreation of the Trans-Canada Highway through the Canadian Prairies.  No highway is complete without hundreds of signs, right?  Long story short, can anyone tell me how to make my Gmax model of the Sign overhang by one or more tiles?

Any help would be appreciated!

- Matt

!!!!GO HABS GO!!!!

metarvo

One way to accomplish this is to offset your model in Gmax before rendering.  For example, if your sign is centered at (0, 0), you can offset it one tile to the left by moving it to (-16, 0), assuming you're using Generic Units.  Subtracting 16 from X moves a model one tile to the left, and adding 16 to X moves the model one tile to the right, because a tile is equal to 16 square meters.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

MattyFo

I think I know what your saying.  So if I want my sign to face East, so Westbound traffic will see it, I will offset it about -15.5 meters(Units) in GMax and the highway sign itself will extend another -16 meters further.  Therefore when in the LE, I can have the sign at the very edge of a 1X1 tile, then place that next to the RHW tile ingame and the sign will overhang the RHW tile?  Hope that makes sense.

- Matt

!!!!GO HABS GO!!!!

MattyFo

Well I just made a test lot and I was unable to get the lot out of LE because I had to put the Sign on a 3X3 lot which is much to large.  When I change lot size to a 1X1 and tried to save, it read, "You may not save a lot that has objects extending beyond its bounds".  How can a get around this? 

- Matt

!!!!GO HABS GO!!!!

metarvo

AFAIK, a building itself cannot extend beyond a tile's boundaries, but a prop can as long as its center is within the lot's boundaries.  To get around this, you will probably need to create an invisible building so that you can use the sign as a prop.  Create an invisible prop in Gmax by drawing a box and setting the dimensions to 0, then render it.  Make the lot size 3x3 or whatever is the minimum size on which your sign can be placed.  Use this invisible prop as the building and then place the sign on the tile as a prop.  Change the lot size to 1x1.  You should make sure that the center of the prop is within the 1x1 center tile.  If this causes the prop to be unable to overhang properly, you may need to go into Gmax and change the X coordinate accordingly.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.

MattyFo

IC, however my building(the sign) is not under the props menu in lot editor, it only appears in the buildings menu.  Do I have to change a setting somewhere?

- Matt

!!!!GO HABS GO!!!!

metarvo

Yes.  You will need to set the sign model as a prop in PIM or in PIM-X, and set the invisible model as a building.  Then, the sign will appear as a prop in LE.

MattyFo

Excellent!  I will download PIM immediatly, stay posted incase I run into more problems, but I should be okay from here.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOU FAST HELP!!! &apls  :thumbsup:

- Matt

!!!!GO HABS GO!!!!