• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Extracting the default monorail "skin"

Started by DCMetro2834, September 05, 2010, 10:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCMetro2834

Hi everyone,

I have been experimenting with automata modding lately, and I've come up with a few ideas that would involve me to "re-skin" SimCity4's default monorail texture. Does anyone know where I can find the dat file for it? (In a perfect world, I would rather not look through gigs and gigs of files if someone knows where they are  ;))

Thanks for any help!

-DC

Andreas

Rather than searching for the in-game skin, I'd suggest to pick one of the replacement skins that is available and work from there. Other than that, write down the ID of the replacement skin, then open the SimCity_1.dat and look for the original texture.
Andreas

DCMetro2834

Quote from: Andreas on September 05, 2010, 11:01:36 AM
Rather than searching for the in-game skin, I'd suggest to pick one of the replacement skins that is available and work from there. Other than that, write down the ID of the replacement skin, then open the SimCity_1.dat and look for the original texture.

Oh, ok thanks....now off to find a re-skin of the monorail.  ;D

Thanks!

-DC

cogeo

Seems that many members don't use some basic Reader tools, like Navigator and Analyzer.

Open simcity_1.dat, then click the Navigator button and go to the "Vehicule" node and there you can find two automata exemplars: TRAINS_MonoRailEngine_11530000 and TRAINS_MonoRailPassenger_11540000. The "Model Resource Key" property specifies the model (S3D file). Then you can go to this file, and click the Mats tab; there you can see the actual FSH file ID...

DCMetro2834

Oh, ok thanks a bunch!

I did that, and found the file in "mats", and right clicked and saved the texture.....but I couldn't find where it saved to.....

DC