• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

How to make textures

Started by delija21, June 03, 2008, 05:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delija21

Hi guys,i was just wondering if someone could make a tutorial on how to make custom textures in photoshop. Like many other new BATers a lot of comments on my work are about textures,so if someone would like to make a nice simple tutorial i would be more than thankfull

Red Star Production is now on FACEBOOK

XiahouDun

I may be able to put something together for small building textures since thats usually what I get compliments on. I've never made a tutorial before, so it may take me a while to come up with something usable. :-[
Current project: Movies 14

You may have meant to search for Houdini. (result of searching for XiahouDun on SC4D)

Heblem

Sometimes you dont need to "make" a textures, in my case most of the time i found one in sites like this one http://www.cgtextures.com/, otherwise if i didn't found what i was looking for i get a similar texture and change opacity color, contrast and bright, but nothing more...

Chrisadams3997

That's a great website by the way Heblem :thumbsup:, wish I'd found that a long time ago.

Chris

callagrafx

Quote from: delija21 on June 03, 2008, 05:26:03 PM
Hi guys,i was just wondering if someone could make a tutorial on how to make custom textures in photoshop. Like many other new BATers a lot of comments on my work are about textures,so if someone would like to make a nice simple tutorial i would be more than thankfull

It's hard to write a tutorial on making textures as different textures require different approaches.  For example, this one I did for one of my BATs was created by taking an ingame shot (the MD section is a fanastic resource for this) and applying a number of different filters and blurs to get the desired effect.  The mullions were added by creating a grid pattern brush and adding a layer bevel. 

Whereas the night version relied on me finding a suitable texture (google) and cloning it and altering colour to best suit.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

superhands

Cal, that looks like kylie's next album cover hehehe :D

threestooges

callagrafx: Interesting point. I have a question though. If I understand your post correctly, and what I've seen in your BAT thread (which incidentally, the hospital looks great and I should really comment there more often) you have a texture for day and a texture for night. If that is the case, how does that work, and is it possible to do in gmax?
-Matt

callagrafx

Quote from: threestooges on June 04, 2008, 03:55:51 PM
callagrafx: Interesting point. I have a question though. If I understand your post correctly, and what I've seen in your BAT thread (which incidentally, the hospital looks great and I should really comment there more often) you have a texture for day and a texture for night. If that is the case, how does that work, and is it possible to do in gmax?
-Matt

The BAT4Max script replaces the "night" version, stored in a Material Library, in the scene for the night render.  When you create the texture you have to set it to be self-illuminating and then it will "glow" at night.  I've written a tutorial on Max nightlibraries, which I'll publish in the tutorials section.

This isn't the same for Gmax however, but I believe you can change the default blue, green and beige bitmaps for more realistic images, but you cannot make them self illuminate, but then the BAT script does that for you.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

threestooges

Thanks for the quick reply on that. I'll give a look at the tutorial you posted. Thanks again.