• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Molowaku Island

Started by wishfulanthony, December 10, 2008, 12:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wishfulanthony

Many will not know my City Journal (or even me) because I don't talk as much here on SC4 Devotion. But, I am more than happy to share with you my flagship City Journal (called Mayor's Diary or MD) in here... introducing, Molowaku Island.

Background

Molowaku Island is actually a chain of different islands forming an archipelago in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, located in between Nauru and Midway Islands. Its isolated, yet central, location is a favored stopover for many cruise ships from around the world, and it has been a favorite tourist destination in the Central Pacific region due to its natural beauty and business-friendly practices that encourage more people to stay in the nation.

Molowaku Island is composed of several different islands, in which each one of them has a large city. There are various cities and towns that have been developed throughout the island nation, which include:

Cities Finished So Far
Ocean View: founded in 1783, 139,200 people
Orinda: founded in 1785, 12,405 people
Webster: founded in 1786, 24,330 people
Ithaca: founded in 1786, 6,440 people
Paseo del Mar: founded in 1788, 15,300 people
San Pablo: founded in 1791, 200,000 people

Cities in the Works
San Leandro: founded in 1792, currently at 32,800 people
Lancaster: founded in 1794, currently at 18,300 people
Alameda Village: founded in 1794, currently at 5,800 people
San Luis*: founded in 1801, construction of Airport City
Leicester*: founded in 1783, construction of Government Center underway
Holyhead*: pending
Garibaldi*: pending
Dorchester Village*: pending

* - denotes that the city is under construction 

At the moment, I am building up more islands that I have hand-terraformed, from wide lakes to islets, which recreate the looks of this great archipelago. Its main draws include the Nalapamu Lake, in Lakeside, in which it is the largest inland lake of the archipelago.

History

Molowaku Island has been settled since its prehistoric times, with a predominantly-agricultural economy where people hunted wild hogs, birds, fishes, and other small, edible animals, along with planting crops, such as rice, maize, plantains, fruits, vegetables, and wheat, that provided adequate nutrition for the population. The island have been a land wherein pirates tried to settle on, but, the locals tried their very best to eradicate any intruders who tried to settle in Molowaku because they believe that they were trying to use the locals' industries for their own gain. In 1624, Molowaku's maize industry collapsed due to natural phenomena: 3 huge thunderstorms along with a violent earthquake with massive tsunamis have flooded the land extensively that it has destroyed almost all of the maize fields in the island.

When Molowaku Island was colonized by the British in 1655, the nation started to grow economically and develop its own social and political identity. As a commonwealth asset of the United Kingdom under the leadership of Her Royal Majesty, Queen Victoria, Molowaku grew in an unprecedented rate that the island nation started its world-famous tourism industry. The British, though, gave political independence in its local levels (city, townships, villages), and managed to keep the island's local heritage due to its well-developed traditions that the locals do not even want to be destroyed by other cultures. They also gave tools for military and security development, from battalions of soldiers to wooden ships. At first, the locals feel threatened by the supposed large number of military men surrounding the whole island; in the end, though, the soldiers were more knowledgeable of the local cultures, they even take in part of the various local customs of the islands that really boost the island's competitiveness.

Yet, as the British influence and presence continued to grow, the local Molowakuans feel threatened by the huge bureaucratic processes that the colonizers brought them. In 1780, the leader of Kinameo township, Liloani Watanaki, has proposed a plan to write to the British colonizers on the island to mind their own business when it comes to trading with other nations because it could somehow impede to the local economic growth of the island. But, the Governor-General of Molowaku Island, Admiral Benjamin Wright, refused to follow Watanaki's demands, saying that the Molowakuan economy is growing at a steady rate, and that it has not touched on any of the trade flow with the neighboring islands and states. What made Watanaki more disappointed on how the British taxed Molowakuan goods sold abroad, especially in the United Kingdom – Molowakuans had to pay at least 12% of their income dues to the British tax collectors in exchange for trade of British-made goods, in which it seemed to be unfair for its citizens because it did not give them proper taxation that is aimed to the local economic growth, as the British promised. The Molowakuan economy flourished during the British colonization, but, the growth has been limited to several people: the British colonizers and several Molowakuans who have connections to the British Government.

In 1782, Watanaki, along with the other leaders and citizens dismayed by the British political system implemented in Molowaku, staged a protest and brought with them sheets of paper, written in there the citizens' thoughts about the British governance in the island. Watanaki, on the other hand, brought in two documentations, the Peace Deal with the British Colonizers and the Molowakuan Declaration of Independence addressed to Admiral Wright that hopefully, according to him, "would reduce the racial and economic tensions amongst its people." The Admiral felt worrisome on both documents, saying that the "papers angered the British authority, and that we cannot give full autonomy to Molowaku unless the people discipline themselves to the British forces." Yet, Watanaki refused to give up his plan for independence, so he posted banners throughout the island, saying that Molowaku will not surrender for its independence because its people are already suffering from too much British politics and policies that do not contribute to the betterment of the colony. The banner said "Join the fight – 25th December 1782 – in front of the Admiral's Residence for the Fight for Freedom!"

Christmas Day came, and most of Molowaku's citizens staged a mass protest in front of the Admiral's Residence in Shady Grove (now Ocean View), and the people were angered by Admiral Wright's policies, saying that "Ben's priorities are bribing its people, burning down 'businesses that are against the British', and blaming the people for the country's lagging growth." The tens of thousands of Molowakuans presented themselves as warriors, with metal shields and all, ready to fight against the Admiral's soldiers, filled with machete guns. Watanaki was also present in the riot, proclaiming that "Molowaku is ready to be independent, and its people are fighting too hard to fulfill your (the British) aimless desires of wealth and power. We are ready to fight for independence, and we are ready to remove you, Admiral Wright!" The riot began with one soldier shooting his machete gun as a warning shot, and the people started to attack. Although the citizens only have metal and wooden war equipment, they have been able to kill 38 of 46 guarding soldiers, while the soldiers killed 25 civilians. The Admiral was then shocked of the horrific events happening outside his palace, and then Watanaki came within the Admiral's sight. Wright then warned Watanaki that if the carnage continues, he will send in more forces from Australia to help in the fightings, but Watanaki ignored Wright's disastrous plan. By midnight, the civilians eventually killed 45 of 46 soldiers from the attacks, and with many of the people having machete guns from the soldiers, the Admiral pleaded for mercy from Watanaki for what he had done to the nation. After hours of negotiation towards Boxing Day, the Admiral and Watanaki made a Peace Agreement and signed the Declaration of Molowakuan Indpendence, which said:

Today, the 26th of December, in the Year of our Lord 1782, I, Admiral Benjamin Peterson Wright, honorably surrender my title as the Governor-General of Molowaku Island and declare Molowaku Island as an independent and sovereign nation. The people of Molowaku have been a gracious and outstanding folk, with excellent characteristics of leadership, courage, and determination that I have seen during my leadership. My powers that you have vested to me, Her Majesty Queen Victoria, have been used to the best of my ability, and yet, I have not received an arousing and well-thought response from the people.

As a fine and superior Admiral, I have declared my own surrender back to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland because of Liloani Watanaki's great leadership that has surpassed my own capabilities, and that he will be responsible for Molowaku's continued growth and prosperity. Molowaku Island has been a great nation where the economy continues to flourish – a model to the rest of the British Empire. But, as the people wanted to declare independence and sovereignty, I have finally thought about giving them more than independence – a lifetime membership to the Commonwealth, in which the President will be directly elected by the people, and the government will remain under the leadership of Her Majesty Queen Victoria, Queen of England.

As I surrender my post as Governor-General of Molowaku, I will appease to you that the British Empire will continue to succeed even without Molowaku Island. Our successes will continue to base upon economic growth and military leadership, and Molowaku has shown to us that the people are willing to fight for their own independence, and now, I am giving this Declaration to Independence to them.

To God be the Glory, and Molowaku is now a full-fledged independent nation.

Admiral Benjamin Wright
                                                                                                                          Governor-General, Molowaku Island

Once the people heard of Molowaku's Independence, the people rejoiced, and Liloani Watanaki was declared as the Greatest Hero of Molowaku. Watanaki then served as the first President of Molowaku Island from 1783 to the present, with a large-scale economic growth and trade development with other nations. Now, Molowaku Island continues to be a huge trading nation, with a flourishing economy, high standards of living, and agricultural growth that the island has not seen throughout the British colonization and perhaps the history of the island-nation.

Government

The Molowaku Government consists of a neatly-organized system, with the leadership headed by Her Royal Highness, Queen Victoria, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Although Molowaku was colonized by Great Britain, the people chose a democratic form of government, headed by a President and Vice President, which simplifies leadership roles, both of them serving six (6)-year terms.

There are four regional governments, defined as the four regions (provinces) of Molowaku: Harrison, Newton, Georgetown, and Oahu. Each region consists of various numbers of cities, towns, and villages, each with either a mayor or village leader governing each political sector, in which all of them serving three (3) year terms. There are only six unincorporated areas, in which these are directly governed by their respective Regional Government Head of the area.

The Secretaries, under direct leadership from the Executive Branch, constitute the various departments of the country. These include:

* Department of Education
    * Department of Environment, Science, and Technology
    * Department of Public Infrastructure and Transportation
    * Department of Health and Social Welfare
    * Department of Trade and Industry
    * Department of Labor and Employment
    * Department of Defense and Homeland Security
    * Department of Athletics and Culture
    * Department of Media and Communications
    * National Historical Society
    * National Wildlife, Forestry, and Parks Service
    * Molowaku Social Security
    * Department of Foreign Affairs
    * Department of Agriculture
    * Department of Finance
    * Department of Corrections
    * Molowaku Investigation Bureau
    * Molowaku Tourism Board
    * Department of Public Housing and Redevelopment
    * Molowaku Meteorological Bureau

The Molowaku Legislature consists of two interdependent, but separate, houses. The Upper House (commonly called the Senate) consists of fifteen (12) senators, three of which are elected from the four regions, serving three-year terms. The Lower House (commonly called the House of Congress) consists of thirty-six (36) congressmen, nine of which are elected from each of the four regions, serving three-year terms. The Legislature Department serves as the law-making body of Molowaku, and it has the rights to execute constitutional revisions and amendments.

The Molowaku Judiciary has also a simplified court system, the highest of which being the Supreme Court, which is headed by six (6) judges. With the Supreme Court, it has various lower courts that answer to the needs of the people (regional, city, village courts), and it also has Appelate Courts that serve the needs of the government and civilian affairs (Court of Appeals). The main purpose of the Judiciary Department is to review and uphold laws of Molowaku Island, and it is responsible also for challenging issues that the government may not be able to deliver upon.

People and Ethnicity

Molowakuans are proud of their cultural heritage, and their pride comes from the fact that they have been accepting of all cultural ethnicities and backgrounds. From the British colonization, people from various cultural backgrounds, from Englishmen to Chamorro to Pacific Islanders to Asians, have been living in the islands, sometimes intermarrying with the local populace. Now with open trade with other countries, the racial and cultural divide amongst its people begin to grow and diminish at the same time because many of the foreigners love calling Molowaku Island their home, they even want to adapt to the local culture.

Economy

Molowaku Island has a rapidly-industrializing economy that has evolved from a predominantly agricultural state. It also hosts to a high standard of living that provides its citizens with low taxes, along with highly-efficient healthcare and welfare systems. A detailed description of the economic statistics of Molowaku Island is shown below:

Population: 419,300 (males 48.2%, females 51.8%)
Jobs Ratio: Commercial: 118,167 (56.40%); Industrial: 45,305 (21.62%); Civic: 8,305 (3.96%); Number of employed in relation to population: 82%
Unemployment Rate: 4.2%
Currency: Molowaku Rial (MR) (US$1 = MR 0.75)
Median Disposable Income (1808): MR 124,800
Gross Domestic Product (GDP, 1808): MR 33,540,337,472
GDP Per Capita (1808): MR 125,776
Poverty Income Threshold: MR 40,500
Major Jobs Per Sector:
Commercial: Retail, Hospitality, Restaurants, Finance
Industrial: Semiconductors, Automobiles, High-Tech
Major Agricultural Products: Rice, Vegetables, Wheat, Fish, Citrus
Military Strength: 4,650, with four divisions:
Army: 2,785; Navy: 1,150; Air Force: 425; Marines: 290
Police Divisions: The Royal Police of Molowaku Island, with national, regional, and local police forces throughout the islands.
Trading Partners:
Exports: Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Fiji
Imports: China, Japan, USA, Australia

Foreign Embassies in Molowaku:
Australia: 735 Lancaster Avenue, Ocean View OV1-8267
Canada: 100 Lancaster Avenue, Ocean View OV1-5133
China: 800 First Street, Ocean View OV1-9200
European Union Commission: 1200 Normandy Street, San Pablo SP1-2503
India: 1750 Fifth Street, Ocean View OV2-0363
Japan: 600 Kirkham Street, San Pablo SP2-1602
New Zealand: 1000 Hollis Street, Ocean View OV4-9145
United Kingdom: 700 Fourth Street, Ocean View OV1-1616
United States of America: 2850 Balboa Street, Ocean View OV4-3316

Transportation

Molowaku provides an extensive highway, rail, and road network, connecting all major towns in the region. The highways that connect the various islands include:

* Highways A1 to A5, with Highway A201, serving the Oahu Region (A4 is also called as the Oahu Coast Parkway)
    * Highways C1 to C3, with Highway C201, serving the Newton Region
    * More highways are under construction for all four regions, interconnecting the country.

Molowaku also hosts to extensive bus, subway, rail, and ferry transit systems that interconnect the whole region. Reliable and efficient local and inter-city buses provide service throughout the islands. Inter-regional subway systems connect all the islands, along with monorail services in several areas (example: within Leicester, there is a direct monorail service between Downtown Leicester and Pelican Island, 20 minutes away). Rail systems connecting all the islands are fast and efficient as well; bullet trains will soon be available on the most popular routes (Leicester Cross to Kingsdale via Ocean View; Leicester Cross to Holyfield via Martinville, and other regional routes). It also hosts to several inter-island ferry companies, which provide ferry services throughout the islands. With an extensive ferry network, it allows travel throughout the islands, the most distant service lasting around 7 hours nonstop. Ferry taxis exist between Leicester and Ithaca, Pebble Beach, and Aptos; Ocean View and Orinda, Larkspur Village, Lakeside, and Flores Township; and Palm Beach City with Nuneaville, San Juan Township, and Alexander Beach. Car ferries also are available that serve the various islands of the region.

Molowaku also hosts to several airports, including:

* Ocean View International Airport, Ocean View
    * San Pablo Airport, San Pablo
    * Orinda Field, Orinda
    * Apolonio Monokea, Kingsdale
    * Norwich Regional Airport, Norwich
    * Molowaku International Airport, San Luis

Communications

Being a huge democratic nation that embraces Freedom of the Press and Media Openness, Molowaku Island has dozens of media entities that serve the people, be it on television, radio, or internet. Here's a listing of the following media entities available on the island, with most television stations providing high-definition (HD) programming:

* Molowaku Media Network, home to MoloMedia, MoloNews 24, MoloSport, MoloWeather.tv, and the Molowaku Chronicle
    * Newton Media, home to newtonetwork and the Daily Spotlight
    * Leopold Media, home of 4 Network, VarieTV, and SpotlighTV
    * Georgetown Community Network, home to the Georgetown Network (GN)
    * Harrison Television Company, home to HTV
    * Metro Media, home to the Metro Television and Metro Journal

First Pictures of Molowaku

Ocean View

Orinda

Webster

Paseo del Mar

San Pablo

I do not deserve greatness for my Mayor's Diary, but, I want to create a personal and unique approach to make Molowaku Island a great SimCity 4 MD.

Tony
Urban Studies and Planning
San Francisco State University · UC Berkeley

un1

Great to see you set up shop here.  :thumbsup:

Very nice so far, I will be awaiting more.