• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike3775

man thats looking pretty sweet

threestooges

Nice looking start to the transition David. I've never been able to quite tweak details subtly enough to portray a gradual smearing of dust like that. I think a bit more spread would be good though. The other thing I would suggest is some asphalt leaching over onto the dirt in the other lane (tar and all that). Looking great so far though.
-Matt

Gringamuyloca

A belated Happy 6th Birthday 3RR!  &bis&
Looks like I missed a great party! :'(
It is so good to have this thread buzzing like a bee hive on the first warm day of spring.  &apls
3RR's biggest attraction for me is how much I learn about RL - the sharing of knowledge by people from all walks of life, from all over the world about 'stuff' I had no idea existed!
Here's to the next 6 years of continuing education!  :thumbsup:

Tamara

gn_leugim

Now there is something I was planing to do for some time now, transition textures for the SAM sets.

On yours, just need to add the white line, or make a new ending, as it is, looks like a bit sudden it's end.

Swordmaster

Happy 3RR-birthday, great sir! Sorry to have missed the party - I was moving a bunch of coal hoppers through the night. I'm used to it, though; always working when everyone else is having fun.  ;)

On to the next 6 years!

Cheers,
Willy

dedgren

Still working those SAM transitions.

As I've noted before here and elsewhere, I'm not a huge fan of many of the "game" transition pieces.  Projects like the SAM took those transitions and replicated them, so you wind up with this sort of thing.

I'm sorry, I shudder when I see this sort of thing used by folks in their quads.  When I see one of these patently ridiculous transitions in a Mayor's Diary, that tends to end any interest I have in looking at more.

As a particular pet peeve, I really don't like how the SAM handles most SAM type to SAM type transitions at intersections.  Because the SAM is used extensively in 3RR quads, I've retextured Eblem's (Heblem) Set 7: the asphalt streets, to make them sort of a centerlineless asphalt road.  You've seen examples previously in 3RR.  There are a lot of these roads intersected by John's (Pegasus) dirt roads (Set 3) and gravel roads (Set 4).  So here's what I've done- I've built a set of 3RR-specific puzzle pieces.

Here's an intersection waiting to happen.

We'll take a trusty puzzle piece and...

...there we have it.

This more closely reflects the reality of how these intersections look in most places I've been, as it is very rare that the dirt or gravel surface of an unpaved crossroad simply comes up to the paved edge of the improved road.

In any event, it's what we'll do in 3RR.

Back in a bit.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Battlecat

These transitions you're working on are certainly something I've dreamed of having for a long time!  Glad to see you've got them in the works!

dedgren

Looks like a collaboration quad to me.

Wonder what Silvio (Rayden) will do with it?

Oh, and another.

It has your name on it, Joan (Jmouse).

So who wants the next one?

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

JoeST

I'm guessing it's improbable to have a random texture selection on puzzle pieces? cause that would be superbly more realistic :D

Ooooh, Pink Panther :p I can't wait to see what happens now :D
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

gn_leugim

random texxtures no, but several on the same ring yes ^^

FrankU

Quote from: dedgren on March 18, 2012, 06:29:30 PM

Good work and nice transition. But I have two remarks:
One: This is a LHD texture! For RHD we would need the mirrored one.
Two: The dirt path rubble comes on the asphalt, this is realistically made, but the aspahlt does not spill over to the dirt road, does it? This should look a bit different, I think.

io_bg

Quote from: FrankU on March 19, 2012, 04:16:22 AMTwo: The dirt path rubble comes on the asphalt, this is realistically made, but the aspahlt does not spill over to the dirt road, does it? This should look a bit different, I think.
That's exactly what I though when I saw them.
Anyway, they look great and will certainly improve ingame realism.
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

MandelSoft

[As I've noted before here and elsewhere, I'm not a huge fan of many of the "game" transition pieces.  Projects like the SAM took those transitions and replicated them, so you wind up with this sort of thing.

I'm sorry, I shudder when I see this sort of thing used by folks in their quads.  When I see one of these patently ridiculous transitions in a Mayor's Diary, that tends to end any interest I have in looking at more.
Fortunately, this transistion got hugely improved with the NAM Cosmetic Retexture Mod. Other street/SAM7 x Road intersections also recieved better textures...

This more closely reflects the reality of how these intersections look in most places I've been, as it is very rare that the dirt or gravel surface of an unpaved crossroad simply comes up to the paved edge of the improved road.

OBJECTION!

Some intersections do have a dirt road directly ending on a paved road without small stretch of asphalt:
http://maps.google.nl/?ll=52.037367,4.44659&spn=0.000295,0.0006&t=h&z=21

However, often, this only happens when the paved road goes straight through and the dirt road is a temporary road or a road not worthy enough for paving (like paths through a forest).

Other than that, the new puzzle pieces look great! The only critic that I have is that at the intersections the corners are razor-sharp. More often, these corners are smoothen out for right-turning traffic, so it doesn't go off the road (or hit the curbs).

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

jdenm8

Quote from: FrankU on March 19, 2012, 04:16:22 AM
Two: The dirt path rubble comes on the asphalt, this is realistically made, but the aspahlt does not spill over to the dirt road, does it? This should look a bit different, I think.
Actually, I'm pretty sure that's just gravel there.

That's something rather common in rural areas here. Generally the low use means that the road can be appallingly maintained, though the quality of the seal job is generally impeccable and the only deterioration is generally where the bitumen ends, where vehicles going over it a bit too fast after a bit of rain have broken chunks of the end of the surface off (Sometimes making rather large potholes). Doesn't help that repairing it can sometimes make it worse and grading it damages it further.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

threestooges

Quote from: jdenm8 on March 19, 2012, 08:58:31 AM
Quote from: FrankU on March 19, 2012, 04:16:22 AM
Actually, I'm pretty sure that's just gravel there.

That's something rather common in rural areas here. Generally the low use means that the road can be appallingly maintained, though the quality of the seal job is generally impeccable and the only deterioration is generally where the bitumen ends, where vehicles going over it a bit too fast after a bit of rain have broken chunks of the end of the surface off (Sometimes making rather large potholes). Doesn't help that repairing it can sometimes make it worse and grading it damages it further.
It also happens around here on our tar-sealed roads or with fresh(er) asphalt on a hot day. The tar will leech out and be carried by tires onto the lighter colored surface, so you can see it a bit even on road-street transitions. Granted, it'll be more muted in those situations, but it looks right about like that.

If you're looking for quad volunteers, you know you can always count on me once the plugins are all finalized.
-Matt

Will12

Nice transitions David. May I ask a question?
Is 3RR like a region where many people get a particular city tile and they develop it?
Another:
Is transferred by Dropbox or something?
And finally:
Can I become a developer of is it a thing where you just choose people or there is now available spaces?
Thanks Billy

ldvger

Maarten says:

QuoteThe only critic that I have is that at the intersections the corners are razor-sharp. More often, these corners are smoothen out for right-turning traffic, so it doesn't go off the road (or hit the curbs).

I have to agree.  Automobiles have a turning radius, although it varies widely from vehicle to vehicle.  The longer the wheelbase of the vehicle, the wider the turning radius is.  When drawing curb cuts for driveways on residential site plans, I use a 5' radius for the intersection of driveway to street.  I don't know what the "standard" corner radius is for street intersections the road building industry uses, but I bet it wouldn't be that difficult to find out...

Lora/LD

noahclem

For rural intersection I would use as much of the tile as is available for the turning radius--in this case, it looks like there could be about 4m/13'.

Kokopelli

David,

Sorry to have missed the party. As a follower from 3RR-ST and the first to post a welcome here at SC4D, I want to thank you for what you have done to bring and keep this literally world-wide community together for all these years. Your leadership and innovation in mapping and modifications to the roads and rails, continues to keep the game fun and interesting to play. Your entertaining posts have brought this fictitious place in the upper Midwest lake country to life and a place we all enjoy visiting. Again, thank you. I look forward to continuing visits to 3RR for many years to come. Happy Birthday!

Bob

Silur

Hi, David ...
Only one question about my favorite STR and before Your Trans-American Tour ...
Can You Help me with this:
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=7152.msg417813#msg417813
I posted my question on inactive STR thread - (Read 11903 at 17-03- 2012 and Read 12042 times now aka March 21, 2012, 09:30:02 PM) ... - no any answers about STR - S Ortho. May be it is my great mistake with inactive STR thread ...  I believe - You can help me ...
Excuse me ...  :'(