• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haljackey

I present to you one of my most unique interchanges to date.

I had a rather difficult task to accomplish this time: recreate a 4-way interchange with local connections on the edge of a dense city. A elevated highway passes through the main junction while a ground highway spur connects with the junction.

Historic "before" photos showing what the interchange used to look like. As you can see it was a complicated mess of a maxis highway connecting with a maxis multi-highway. I don't know what I was thinking when I made this.  $%Grinno$%

And "after" photos showing the new interchange.

Some photos with the zones view turned on to get rid of some clutter:

If you're confused looking at this spaghetti bowl, I colour-coded each direction of travel so it's easy to follow. Each colour shows the connections to the perpendicular highway as well.
Lime Green: Northbound
Red: Southbound
Orange: Eastbound
Blue: Westbound
White: Local connections (includes proposed connections)
(I had to use black because you can't read white text :P)

You can also click this image for full size.

(I know it's pretty rough, I made this in paint :P)

Anyways, hope you liked it!

GDO29Anagram

Hal, I'm gonna have to say that your spaghetti interchange is impressive, but also diabolical. (Time for the rhetorical question): How much more diabolical can an interchange get?!!

Maybe when it's not a 4-way interchange... But a 7-way interchange... Like the one someone drew that I said that I was going to reconstruct a page ago...? I tried with reconstructing that, and it became humongous... I'm gonna try it my own way...
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

samerton

That's a great interchange Hal..! Must have taken a long time to build..!

Blue Lightning

Wow, Hal, awesome! My head is kinda spinning now, seeing that :P Its so complex yet its well executed and the maxis highway ties in quite well.

A few days ago, I made this basketweave (one side of it) using a technique I've developed to allow for close curves to overpasses.

Also I've made this

Really tight interchange at night

Dunno what to call this one

If anyone wants a link to the tutorial of the technique, its here.
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

Aaron Graham

Great Job on the interchange, I have such a hard time working on them. One thing guys, how do you guys get rid on the RHW barrers and highway lights. Please help me on that please.
-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

GDO29Anagram

@ Blue Lightning

I like your par-Y... Really smooth.

The technique for that tight overpasses? I've known a similar technique for a long long time...

As of that final picture...? I don't know what to call it either...  :-[

Oh and,... @ Maarten,... I didn't notice your de-spaghettified spaghetti interchange 'til now...

Let me say this right now: Whenever I think of spaghettification, I think of black holes. Now I'm gonna have to associate the term with 4-way interchanges and probably interchanges beyond 4-way...

Uhh,... Let me say this right now also: Has anyone attempted to construct an interchange beyond 4-way? Using RHW and not on paper?
<INACTIVE>
-----

MandelSoft

Well, I believe someone over at SimTropolis constructed once a 6-way interchange, only using the RHW Mod v32
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

el_cozu

I remember that one... it was kind of a roundabout 6-way interchange... pretty awesome

Ryan B.

Behold, my first trumpet with the new RHW:

Thoughts / suggestions / opinions?

Rionescu

I'm proud to be able to say that the 6-way interchange was mine. If you want to take a look, here it is.

Haljackey

Blue Lightning: Cool find! Only thing is that the curves look awfully sharp since it's just a 2-tile shift. If only there was FLEX-FARHW or FLEX-lane shifts! :P
-I really like the junction in your third image. If only there wasn't too much weaving west of it.   :D
-I can hardly see your fourth picture. Perhaps you could post a daylight image?
-As for the name of the junction in your last image.... I would call it a parclo-turbine or something.

Quote from: Aaron Graham on September 11, 2010, 04:40:58 PM
Great Job on the interchange, I have such a hard time working on them. One thing guys, how do you guys get rid on the RHW barrers and highway lights. Please help me on that please.

Sorry but what are you asking here? How to get rid of the lights and medians on the RHW? They have to be downloaded separately anyway so if you don't download those you won't get them.

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on September 12, 2010, 12:15:18 AM
Uhh,... Let me say this right now also: Has anyone attempted to construct an interchange beyond 4-way? Using RHW and not on paper?
Quote from: mrtnrln on September 12, 2010, 01:23:28 AM
Well, I believe someone over at SimTropolis constructed once a 6-way interchange, only using the RHW Mod v32

Yes, it's been done. Mcduell probably does them the best. Check out some of his junctions deeper in this thread or at the Show Us your Interchanges thread on Simtropolis. (The Original thread, not Show us your interchanges 2)
-He also makes great highway creations with Pixelactive's Cityscape.

Quote from: Ryan B. on September 12, 2010, 06:59:29 PM
Thoughts / suggestions / opinions?

Thought: Why does the looping RHW narrow from two lanes to one and then back to two? Surely some RHW-4 smooth curves wouldn't take up too much more room.

Suggestion: Slope out your loop ramp to make it look more realistic rather than using elevated RHW/MIS pieces to prop it up to level 2.

Opinion: A very unique trumpet interchange! The loop is more oval-ish, which is quite interesting.

jdenm8

Hm... Seeing BL's top intersections makes me crave FLEXfly elevated S-Bends for some reason... Seeing that Semi-rural Partial Y makes me weep.

EDIT: Have I shown anybody this?

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

marsh

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Rionescu on September 12, 2010, 08:18:00 PM
I'm proud to be able to say that the 6-way interchange was mine.

Well, I know I've seen it before, but haven't had a chance to find it again. At least I know where it is now. Something like that would best be called a spiderweb interchange, since it's all MIS brancing off. Impressive, but inevitable confusing for anyone to drive through that. Nothing that splits the RHW into RHW-4's, just MIS creating a web encompassing three different highways.

Let me be a little more direct now: Has anyone attempted to CREATE, NOT DRAW ON PAPER, a 7-way interchange?!! (I'll bet no-one has...)

Oh and also,... Hal, I keep seeing a four-coloured truck in your recent pictures and videos (The one with the colours red, green, blue, and black in large squares)... What's that supposed to be; I know there's something missing, but what is it...?
<INACTIVE>
-----

jdenm8

lol, I think it's a car. I've got a car like that too. I got it when I installed the European Cars addon from the STEX and I have yet to actually pinpoint the culprit (I'm too lazy). I think Hal might have the same issue :P

(It's when a 3DS model has no (or corrupted) textures)

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Haljackey

Cool junction jdenm8!

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on September 12, 2010, 09:22:06 PM
Let me be a little more direct now: Has anyone attempted to CREATE, NOT DRAW ON PAPER, a 7-way interchange?!! (I'll bet no-one has...)

Mcduell has created a 8-way interchange if I recall correctly. Not sure if he has made a 7-way junction, however. :P

QuoteOh and also,... Hal, I keep seeing a four-coloured truck in your recent pictures and videos (The one with the colours red, green, blue, and black in large squares)... What's that supposed to be; I know there's something missing, but what is it...?

Yeah, I've got a truck plugin that's missing it's skin. I try to take pictures when they aren't on-screen, but with so much activity, sometimes a few manage to sneak into the frame.

At first I thought they were one/some of Ryan B's NHL trucks as they're around that size but the problem persisted after removing them from my plugins.

I've got a renegade somewhere in my plugins, and I haven't found it after searching many times. Hopefully I'll find it soon. :P

MattyFo

Some I just whipped up.  Thought I would share.  It is just a simple T-Interchange design.  It does the trick and like I said, IT'S SIMPLE!  I am aware of a few bends on the exit ramps.

- Matt

!!!!GO HABS GO!!!!

Ryan B.

Quote from: Haljackey on September 12, 2010, 08:21:47 PM

Thought: Why does the looping RHW narrow from two lanes to one and then back to two? Surely some RHW-4 smooth curves wouldn't take up too much more room.

Suggestion: Slope out your loop ramp to make it look more realistic rather than using elevated RHW/MIS pieces to prop it up to level 2.

Opinion: A very unique trumpet interchange! The loop is more oval-ish, which is quite interesting.

RE:  Thought:  There really isn't much room - Lake Ontario's in the way.  It's also sort of a traffic calming measure - that is a pretty sharp corner, and I don't have much in the way of crash barriers if someone books that corner too fast.

RE:  Suggestion:  I'm not entirely certain how to accomplish that, but I'll give it a shot.

frdrcklim

Blue Lightning, that third pic of yours is one of the sleekest RHW intersections I've seen in a long while ::).
300... 200... 100... 50... 40... 30... 20... 10

Yep, I still got it.

marsh

Nother one...

I originally started to make a "round-about" style interchange, but it kinda' turned into its own thing.  ::)