• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haljackey

Nice job guys! That 3 lane roundabout looks intriguing.

psander5: Love your use of it. Also love the ortho/diag junction. We don't see many of those. Same goes with the rail junction.

Here's a new video from me. The bulk of this city was made before the RHW came out, but it features a lot of well placed Maxis Highway T-bone interchanges. The orbital system was placed on coves and atolls around the tropical island. It was built to handle local commuters and tourists and is not used as a interconnecting route or bypass (the island only has one connection). The bulk of it has been built up to freeway standards.

http://www.youtube.com/v/QhsKX_4UdmQ&hd=1

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfpTdRDJZIM (Resolution up to 1080p.)

There's a larger description in the video link provided above. Hope you enjoy it!

Nego

Nice Video, Haljackey! Your transportation system is nice on that island. Can't wait for more! :thumbsup:

ilmioalterego

Now it's my time to show you some of my most good-looking interchanges.
Let's begin with the craziest one:

It is a personal attempt of mine to create a sort of "theme variation" about a 2-highways interchange, which not always must be a simple cloverleaf. But the complexity is increased by the fact that, not being free of charge, I put toll booths for every direction. And so this is the result.
Zooming in, you can see it in detail:

Also FARHW are involved:

However, the utility of this huge mess is zero. It was only a personal challenge.

Next days I'll put other intersection images. Stay tuned!  ;)

soulchaser

you can go from west to south without paying taxes....if you might be able to U-Turn somewhere, to north also....gotcha  $%#Ninj2  $%Grinno$%

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

ilmioalterego

Sure, but the point is that the west direction comes from nowhere (because that map is at the west edge of the region), so the traffic is virtually zero. However, when I'll have some minutes to spend, I'll create a toll booth also for that direction...  :)

Death50

High capcity, compact, realstic T Bone.

Decided to make one of these at last.

Partial T

My creation. The lower deck can handle high traffic smoothly and the upper deck is ment for lower ammounts of traffic, however; can be remade to have high capcity as well. Making a guide for how to make it.

I've really improved with RHW and am getting away from massive, huge interchanges almost as big as a small city (like my desert one).

turtle

Nice intersections evrybody!
@Death50: I'd call your first interchange is a trumpet, not a T-bone. I like that last one - just about as tight as they come. :thumbsup:
My name is Thomas...

noahclem

Here's a couple new ones I've been saving for release here until my most recent MD update!

Several roads and avenues cross here with a rail viaduct passing through as well. From my MD:
This area lies between the park market, the bridge from East Pohjanmaa, the main road to Siilijoki, and the rest of West Pohjanmaa's CBD. The rail line from Siilijoki crosses by viaduct. Because this prime business location and major transport crossroads occupy the same space there are a number of not-at-grade intersections.

3.27 - Route 9, Siilijoki's east-west motorway, skirts just to the north of the park market in West Pohjanmaa with an interchange immediately across the river in East Pohjanmaa.

While it might seem a bit more complicated than necessary, there is a method to my madness here. I try to be very particular about scale and realism in the game and I've found few RL motorway ramps less than 200m (~12 tiles) long, with most longer. I designed this interchange to be as compact as possible without violating my rules on ramp length and distance-between-interchanges-to-avoid-weaving (~300m/19 tiles). When I conceived (prior to any development of this tile) it I'd hoped to squeeze it in on the opposite bank of the Iijoki. After realizing that wouldn't be possible without violating the 2nd rule I mentioned and also realizing that it would not be possible to make it as compact as my initial designs specified (somewhere along the line I seem to have lost my ability to make tunnels adjacent to crossing transit networks) I decided to place it on the east bank of the river.

I'll post another image of this when I finally get everything eye-candied-up and the surrounding areas looking the way I want them to.

Really nice interchanges everybody!!

psander - The new eye candy 3-lane roundabouts look awesome! Nice intersections  :thumbsup:

metasmurf - Very nice, realistic interchanges! The scale is realistic, the slopes and curves are perfectly executed, and I'm glad you included merging lanes. I think I'll take a stab at something similar to your parclo...

Great work Hal, Death50, and ilmioalterego!  :thumbsup:

GDO29Anagram

My turn. Something I like to do, ever since I first introduced myself to SC4D, was to experiment with interchanges...

The first two images are my rendition of Death50's Cloverfold Stack Interchange. I found a way to make it more compact, and I also added more stuff (Like FARHW). The third's a failed interchange.

(I think I may have gone a little stir-crazy with the signs this time...)

(You guys do realise that there's a new set of warning signs and speed limit signs on the STEX made by JA/ATT, right...?)

(Fail.)
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Death50

GDO29Anagram: It's very nice to see someone already using my desgin! The Far peices are nice and make it look smooth, I like it! The only draw back is, you lose the higher capcity three lanes on the lower deck. I also noticed you fit a wide turn inside the Flex Fly turns, good eye! I will use that for now on!  :thumbsup:

That second one is interesting, though clearly ment for lower traffic volumes.

gaotingguxiu

mightygoose

why has the third one faled exactly?
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

noahclem

Awesome interchange GDO29Anagram!  &apls

I'm also confused about what failed on the other one....

BigSlark

GDO29Anagram,

Your intersection looks oddly similar to Birmingham, AL, USA's "Malfunction Junction," where I-20/59 and I-65 meet (yes, Interstates 20 and 59 are multiplexed for 130 miles in Alabama).

Cheers,
Kevin

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: mightygoose on January 14, 2011, 04:01:29 AM
why has the third one faled exactly?

Quote from: noahclem on January 14, 2011, 05:27:44 AM
Awesome interchange GDO29Anagram!  &apls

I'm also confused about what failed on the other one....

Quote from: BigSlark on January 14, 2011, 10:10:25 AM
GDO29Anagram,

Your intersection looks oddly similar to Birmingham, AL, USA's "Malfunction Junction," where I-20/59 and I-65 meet (yes, Interstates 20 and 59 are multiplexed for 130 miles in Alabama).

I personally doubt anyone has tried to create the kind of interchange I had in mind, but the reason it's failed is because the highways are far too offset, and that it isn't as symmetrical or compact as I wanted.

Quote from: GDO29Anagram

Notice how the highways crossover in an ortho-diag configuration and not a diag-diag configuration? (I wish there were 45-degree RHW-4 FlexFlys...) Unless I add some FARHW to nudge the highways back, the highways themselves will shift far too much.

I actually created this diagram to show what I was making.

Haljackey's bound to have some info on this, and he does.

Quote from: Haljackey on January 23, 2009, 10:33:13 AMFull Diamond

Tutorial imminent...?

Tutorial's not gonna happen any time soon; There are still some RHW pieces missing... :'( Another thing for the next RHW: Diag ERHW-4 over Diag RHW-4 Pieces 3 and 4. There's only 1 and 2 right now...
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

kj3400

And that reminds me of the soon-to-be former I-95/I-695 interchange in NE Baltimore. They're removing it in favor of a less confusing stack so they can add more lanes to I-95.
I think I've been here long enough, call me Kenneth/Kenny.
Visit

The Commonwealth of Paradise at ST

The Commonwealth of Paradise at SC4 Wiki

Haljackey

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on January 14, 2011, 01:13:38 PM
Haljackey's bound to have some info on this, and he does.

Full Diamond

That's a diagram for a full diamond. Those were used mostly on early German Autobahns and the design has kidna died out due to more efficient advances such as the stack.

What you're making is something more similar to a diverging windmill, seen here:

Hopefully that diagram helps!

mightygoose

diverging stacks are actually quite efficient in terms of amount of ground work, they require fewer bridges than virtually every other kind of stack, bar cloverleaf.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

samerton

This took me about an hour to complete:

The main highway goes from West-South, even though it doesn't have the main priority, and the avenue at the east feeds into the city centre.

McDuell

I personally doubt anyone has tried to create the kind of interchange I had in mind, but the reason it's failed is because the highways are far too offset, and that it isn't as symmetrical or compact as I wanted.
Some time ago, I actually made some tries with the full diamond. I ended up with about the same shiftings as you, the only difference being the direction of the offset.

Tutorial's not gonna happen any time soon; There are still some RHW pieces missing... :'( Another thing for the next RHW: Diag ERHW-4 over Diag RHW-4 Pieces 3 and 4. There's only 1 and 2 right now...
Then take the rail network.  $%Grinno$%

Apart from that, the diagonal RHW is a bit limited, but in no way impossible, if you sometimes 'cheat' a bit.  ;)

Cloverleaf:

Cloverstack. Here I sacrificed the smooth curves to compactness. The interchange would be considerably larger if I used them.

Then I tried a turbine. This one was tougher to build than it may look. I had to follow a precise building and connecting order, else I would have had to rebuild large parts of the interchnge again (which I indeed had to do twice).

Here is one that I like. It's not really high capacity, but it's simple, and in reality it would be relatively cheap to build as there are only 4 grade separations in total. Technically, I would put it somewhere between a roundabout and a windmill interchange as there are features of both types.

A slight modification results in a bit higher capacity.

----------------
It's redundant, it's redundant. (R.E. Dundant)
----------------