• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haljackey

Here's a few pics from me.

You can click on the images for full resolution.

I've finished work on this diagonal ground highway T-bone interchange. It overlooks the city below.

I've also finished with this hillside exchange. There simply isn't any room left for any more ramps... unless I keep digging into the steep cliffs.  :P

Riverside TuLEP intersection with slip lanes.

jonno

I'm not too well versed in using these FLUPs.  Does anyone know if it is possible to make these two intersection functional?  I mean to make the underground roads connect with eachother.  Technically it is functional, because traffic is able to go in every direction using the round-about.  Any ideas?

TEG24601

At present, there are no FULP pieces to solve your problem.  There are some other tunnel transition pieces on the LEX that will convert your road traffic to subway, which is likely the only way to solve your problem.

Example here - http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=942

TEG

godjcjk12

Quote from: Haljackey on April 03, 2011, 09:13:23 AM
Beautiful interchange godjcjk12! I like how the highway splits to help minimize weaving. Awesome use of eyecandy too!Can you post another image of that junction once that area is developed? I'm Interested to see how traffic will use it.

@samerton, jacksunny Thanks! I truly appreciate your feedback.

@Haljackey Thanks! I have to say that your interchanges serve as great inspiration. Please make more of them! To answer your question on the development of the area, in time, I will add some images. I've been working on a region project based on the Greater Los Angeles area. I want to construct more of the surrounding neighbor cities before I "open up" the city for Sims. I am considering starting a city journal within the next month as well; still, most likely, I'll come up with the developed area way before then. On another note, I do have a question for you. I notice that most of your cities have high-rise buildings and are heavily populated. Do you use a mod of any kind to achieve that?

Haljackey

Quote from: godjcjk12 on April 03, 2011, 05:35:43 PM

@Haljackey\ I do have a question for you. I notice that most of your cities have high-rise buildings and are heavily populated. Do you use a mod of any kind to achieve that?

I use the super demand mod. That helps if you want to get high density development via zone growth. I'll seldom plop buildings too if they look nice relative to what's around them.

Risu

Quote from: Haljackey on April 03, 2011, 06:21:54 PMI use the super demand mod. That helps if you want to get high density development via zone growth.
Is that simular to the TurboMod? I've wondered about your style too. ;)

Haljackey

Quote from: SimRisu on April 03, 2011, 07:26:04 PM
Is that simular to the TurboMod? I've wondered about your style too. ;)

Hmm, haven't tried that one so I'm not sure. However it is similar to the radical ordinance mod, which can increase both commercial and industrial demand.

Regarding the style, it's almost entirely "playing the game" for me. Still, I follow standards for highways and interchanges.

For example, when I build a RHW-4, it roughly follows this design:

Soundwall (optional)
Grass right of way
RHW
Grass median (optional, can be 2 tiles or more as well)
RHW
Grass right of way
Soundwall (optional)

This layout simply makes it easier to add things like signs and light towers, and also gives you enough room to widen your RHW if the need arises.

If I'm building to freeway standards, I also need an additional tile of right of way near interchanges for acceleration and deceleration lanes. These are to be a minimum of 5 tiles long, but most I build are 7-9 tiles, depending on the amount of room I have available.
-If I'm building to expressway standards, accel/decel lanes are not needed (so type A and B ramps can be used). Well built intersections can also be placed on RHW expressways.

For both designs, weaving must be averted and junctions should be a decent distance apart.

Dexist

Here is a new intersection that i made, a simple one

jdenm8

[img width=800][url=image]image[/url][/img] is the code.

A moderator will probably come along and change it soon anyway.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Kevin1a

Looks really great Dexist, and relatively realistic too.  A lot of the interchanges we build in SC4 are complex simply because that excites us as traffic geeks.  With more and more governments around the world trying to save money (so the banks and large corporations can keep ripping us off, perhaps more effectively than before) it's highly likely that we'll see more mixed-grade interchanges that incorporate some at grade traffic control elements, like roundabouts, in order to save the bridge construction costs associated with most compact fully grade-separated interchange designs.

Either that or your interchange excites me because the shape is the same as the female reproductive system.  ()stsfd()

If I had to find something to improve about your interchange, I would use different entrance ramp joining pieces.  The dual exit pieces are great for exits, but for entrances, the inner lane is an immediate forced merge, and that's bad traffic engineering.  I would either take it from 2 to 1 lane a little ways down the ramp, or connect both lanes, and lose them by either using gradual merges or using them as auxiliary lanes if there is another interchange coming up at a reasonable distance.  If I was really, really dedicated to perfection, I'd use a smoother slope mod too.

Having said all that, it looks great already.  Keep up the good work!

cubby420

Not to step on your comedy bits Kevin but...

Quote from: Kevin1a on April 07, 2011, 07:03:45 PM
With more and more governments around the world trying to save money (so the banks and large corporations can keep ripping us off, perhaps more effectively than before)

Quote from: Kevin1a on April 07, 2011, 07:03:45 PM
Either that or your interchange excites me because the shape is the same as the female reproductive system.  ()stsfd()

&apls  &apls  Bravo my good man...bravo...

Kevin1a

It seems kind of unfair that I spend my time commenting on other members intersections, but never share any of my own so here it is: to the best of my memory, the first time I've shared any pics outside of my MD.

This is the Neu-Wuerzburger Dreieck, which translates to New Wurzburger Triangle.  The A1 running north of my city is the through road, and the intersecting highway is a spur which runs through the suburbs, tunnels under the city center, and emerges near the coastline.  I realize that there is a weaving conflict.  Even though it's hard to see, the land goes up significantly towards the top of the picture, so the interchange had to be compact to avoid rock cuts.  I originally went for a trumpet, but it cut into the hill too much.  I isolated the weaving conflict on a C/D road, separating it from the through traffic to avoid slowdowns from the merging traffic.

noahclem

Great intersection Kevin1a   &apls

I like how you isolated the weaving on a separate road, all the merging lanes, and the compact design. Of course night shots are always fun too ;)

Also, beautiful intersection godjcjk12, clever design Dexist, and nice work as always Haljackey  :thumbsup:

Strategist01

Heh, some simple ones I made today, following the parclo of Haljackey's, but modified due to space and orientation.
My first one I just had to move a lane, but will it work?

This one, I had to use lots of space due to the diagonality :/ Some diagonal avenue over RHW4 pieces would have been nice!

SCWTC4

try to go under the highway by tunneling the avenue
me and my (clever) friend..
f: "everytime i play SC4 riots erupts, they even blow up a bridge"
m: "do you ever consider the possibility of putting around some police stations?" (joking)
f: "you're right..."
m:

Strategist01

Hmm, I'll try that, thanks! Then it doesn't mean my sims have to do a twisty route to get to work!  :thumbsup:

samerton

@ Strategist01: Nice interchanges, but maybe in future you could use some more smooth curves and a slope mod  :thumbsup:

Strategist01

@samerton: Smooth curves? Where? I must say, I am unskilled when it comes to drawing the lanes, so sometimes it gets a bit shaky >.>

As for slope mods: Never. Again. It is SO frustrating when you can't turn an avenue because the gradient is unsuitable!! I couldn't even connect roads to the one avenue when I used a slope mod, argh. No. I'll just use the train tracks trick to smooth my hills.

Strategist01

Ok I have improved my diagonal highway by sinking the avenue, and added as many pieces of smooth curves where I can. I don't mind not having them, as they are aesthetically irrelevant. I think this interchange looks better though, thanks samerton :)

teddyrised

Quote from: Strategist01 on April 11, 2011, 12:01:35 PM
Ok I have improved my diagonal highway by sinking the avenue, and added as many pieces of smooth curves where I can. I don't mind not having them, as they are aesthetically irrelevant. I think this interchange looks better though, thanks samerton :)

It does look better now - and your freeway users no longer have to screech and brake when they reach this intersection.

Anyway, avenue tunnels can be as shallow as 10m - the ditch seems deeper than that, but if you want it to look more aesthetically pleasing (smoother slopes), you don't have to demolish the ramps and stuff. The tunnel can be simply made shallower :)