• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: noahclem on June 16, 2011, 09:18:19 AM
My only real problem with it is this though: they keep talking about the advantage of the space in the middle of the interchange being available--but who wants to locate in the middle of an interchange?

My first thought about that was "I could put a rest area or park in the middle of it". Maybe if it were an embankment highway, and not elevated highway... Then again, you could be surprised about how the dead space in an interchange can be used... ;)

Besides, that captured space is multi-purpose; A transit station and parking facility would be a viable option. :)

<a href="http://pinavia.com/utilization-of-the-center.phtml">More info on how to use that land can be found on the Pinavia website, as well.</a>
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

MandelSoft

I've also analysed the data on that site and it says that the maximum speed through the interchange is only 70 km/h (or just below 45mph). That's a pretty low speed limit, considering that most freeways in Europe have a speed limit between 100-130 km/h.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

JoeST

Yeah I guess the curves are just too long and tight for higher speeds, would cause uncomfortable gee's. Pity
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Jaris

Heh, my attempt at creating a MIS-based Pinavia interchange.
Turned out quite large, quite curvy and with only little useable land in the center.

apeguy

That's a very nice Pinavia Jaris, you should consider making a tutorial for that for the RHW Interchange guide. :thumbsup:

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

Wthrwyz

Quote from: mrtnrln on June 16, 2011, 10:31:13 AM
I've also analysed the data on that site and it says that the maximum speed through the interchange is only 70 km/h (or just below 45mph). That's a pretty low speed limit, considering that most freeways in Europe have a speed limit between 100-130 km/h.

70km/h is the highest speed for which a technical study has been performed, but according to the Purpose page, they seem to have done the math for a higher-speed junction:

QuoteThe road junction requires a large area of land. The external diameter (D) is determined by the projected speed. For example: when v = 40 km/h (25 mph), D = 153 m (500 ft); when v = 105 km/h (65 mph), D = 915 m (3000 ft).
Wthrwyz: It's "weather wise." You see, it has to fit on a license plate...
Oh, just call me Nathan.

McDuell

Below are some attempts of making a bit more full-speed friendly Pinavias. I also tried to not make them look too squared (which is kind of difficult though when one has to deal with the grid system).

I am not completely happy with this version. The FlexFly 90° turns are still too tight for taking them at full speed. There also should be a possibility to somehow connect the center part with the freeway.

In this version I got rid of any 90° turn altogether, using only 45° wide turn pieces (although I detected right now that I forgot one curve &mmm), and I connected the center with one of the freeway branches as a possible example. But I still think that the interchange looks too squared. Here I still have to see what can be done about it.
----------------
It's redundant, it's redundant. (R.E. Dundant)
----------------

westamastaflash

Quote from: McDuell on June 19, 2011, 01:04:49 PM
Below are some attempts of making a bit more full-speed friendly Pinavias. I also tried to not make them look too squared (which is kind of difficult though when one has to deal with the grid system).

In this version I got rid of any 90° turn altogether, using only 45° wide turn pieces (although I detected right now that I forgot one curve &mmm), and I connected the center with one of the freeway branches as a possible example. But I still think that the interchange looks too squared. Here I still have to see what can be done about it.

I love this one.

io_bg

Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

smileymk

Excellent stuff, io_bg.

Can I ask where you got that avenue-FLUP entrance piece in the bottom-right of your 2nd picture? It just looks so good.

Realistic Cities for Dummies
Step-by-step tutorials on every single aspect of realistic city-building.

FacebookYouTube

Dexist

nice interchange io_bg
but i just dont like the kind of ramps you used
cause i like to have weaving lanes with each ramp i make if you know what i mean.

Haljackey

McDuell: You're amazing.

io_bg: That's the best compact trumpet I've ever seen. No joke.  :o

io_bg

Thanks guys!
Dexist, sorry, I couldn't really get you... What other ramps would be more appropriate?
A rural road crossing

wallasey

Fantastic intersections and scenery io_bg!

bombcar

I think he's talking about how the exit lane just cuts off - normally you have an extra wide portion of freeway for awhile before a lane exits or after it enters.

Dexist

Quote from: io_bg on July 07, 2011, 08:30:15 AM

Dexist, sorry, I couldn't really get you... What other ramps would be more appropriate?

look at your horizontal highway. in the 2nd picture they dont have exit lanes and acces lanes.

its now like
_________ 
_________Higway
_________
        \____exit/entrance

but i prefer(and its way more realistic, atleast in my area)
_________
_________higway
_____
          \___exit/entrance

sorry if you dont understand it, my english is not that good :D

art128

I agree with Dexist about the lake of exit lanes! But these are still some really good interchanges !
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

io_bg

I understand now though there's no way I could make the interchanges in my pics the way you want them :( In the first pic I've made that where I had space for it but there's nothing I could do in the second case since there aren't C/D ramp types for compact RHWs.

Hawkeye

Well my first post here. You guys realy inspired me.

I've been looking and thinking of a 5 way interchange for a long time, here's a prototype I've build today.

And a closer look at it:

It took a few hours, what do you think?

Risu

That's awesome! Very elabourate. :thumbsup: