• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAB_City

Idea for a new topic: Show us your... Overengineered Transport Transitions (OTT) :P
Hello SimCity Devotees! If you want to find out more about me, why not visit my profile? Free drinks and biscuits, if that would tempt anyone ;)

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/user/360022-dab-city/

Lukis1994

Heres a simple freeway intersection just next to the CBD of Kârrdagerr linking the western bypass (M897) with the Kârr motorway (M156) that leads to the CBD and Industrial Complex of Xeeneené.

Here is the intersection of the eastern bypass (M898) and the Kârr motorway. CBD is at the bottom and  Xeeneené is across that canal.

Computers are the bicycles for the mind...

McDuell

mike3775:
I'll try to put some gas stations and truck stops at each exit branch. At least you won't run out of fuel then before attempting your next try through this monster.  ;D

Ryan:
Thank you very much for you appreciation and the point. :)

About your question: Yeah, some of those interchanges were indeed quite a bit trial and error based. Most of the time I just have an idea, e.g. "I want to try a 5-way with two diagonal branches, so let's start building it!" And then, I do or don't run into several problems which are mostly based on insufficient space which forces me to sometimes rebuild a big part of the interchange. Especially tricky are diag x diag parts and the use of diag to FAR pieces as they mostly end up being shifted against each other or missing one tile of space when building them.

- The 4-way exists because of a spontaneus question popping up in my head: "Can I build a LHD interchange with a RHD game setup?"

- The one with the diagonal overpass initially started as a 4-way. After having finished it, I thought that it's a bit bland, so I added a fifth leg to the main diagonal.

The 8-way however was planned for a long time. Ever since I started building interchanges with the RHW, I wanted to do an 8-way interchange. RHW 2.x didn't allow for one yet, so back then I had to rely on the OWR network.

Later I tried tried it with the RHW 4.x, but never was quite happy with it because there still were some merged/shared lanes. Also, there weren't any type 3/4 diag over diag RHW4 pieces yet, so I still was a bit restricted.

With the new diagonal overpass pieces as well as the parallel MIS splitters coming with RHW5, I knew beforehand how I wanted to setup the interchange. Once the layout was done, it all was a question of perseverance because when having finished one branch it got kind of boring doing 3 more of them.

Ganaram:
Done already.  ;D
You may choose between a 9-way, a 10-way and two 12-way interchanges, one of it as MHW. The best part is that the 10-way is scaleable and could easily be expanded to a 12- 14- or even 16-way interchange. :P

Alex:
And I cannot wait to see the next version.  ;D
Honestly, one million thanks to you and your team for creating, maintaining and always further developing this already mighty and powerful tool called NAM!  &apls If I could, I'd give you about a zillion rep points for your work. The NAM and RHW are the single reason that I'm still into SimCity. Although, since you turned it into a design tool for me, I almost never play the game anymore.

Maarten:
A big thanks also to you. I recently tried out your Euro retexuring mods and like them very much.  :)

everyone:
Thanks for liking my (sometimes more than) mad creations.
I'd like to add that I learned many techniques and got a lot of ideas and layouts from you and your pictures in this thread. So please don't hesitate and keep posting your interchanges,  ideas and designs. :)

Lukis:
Unfortunately, I can't see your pictures. The links seem to be missing.  &mmm

- Markus (McDuell)
----------------
It's redundant, it's redundant. (R.E. Dundant)
----------------

art128

McDuell - What the h*ll am I looking at??!

my reaction to these crazy interchanges:

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Haljackey

Thanks for the reply Markus! Looks like you've been thinking of new and innovative designs for a long, long time, but its only until now that you've been able to execute them correctly with the latest RHW.
-Like you, I am looking forward to the next release.

Now I know that this doesn't compare to your work, but I finally finished improving my MHW connection I showed a few pages back. Ultimately I was able to keep the buildings to the left by curving a long approach 'ramp' (made of MHW smooth curves) on the right. It was good timing too because development has encroached on the area and there is no longer any room for development as the surrounding terrain is very hilly.
-I also managed to fit a park inside the 'loop', with lots of soundwalls to keep traffic noise at bay.

Click for full size.

-Ryan (Haljackey)

JoeST

Oh my golly gosh :O that is amazing.... Thanks for sharing Markus :D
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

metasmurf

RHW in hilly terrain can be tricky. Here's something I did. Not the most massive interchange, but hey.

irwinkevincarpio

Quote from: Lwito on February 04, 2009, 03:27:33 AM
Just for fun, a FAR intersection, thanks to the NAM Team for their fantastic work  &apls &apls

By louistho

Lwito, where did you get those lot fillers for the smooth curves of the NAM avenues? I've seen them on your posts and I can't help drooling over them.

Haljackey

metasmurf: The RHW can be tricky to use without flat terrain that's for sure. Very nice setup!

irwinkevincarpio: Smooth curves for avenues are located in the avenue puzzle pieces tab. The same place where you find the avenue roundabouts.

Anyways, I made a UDI video which showcases some of the interchanges I've posted to this thread. Enjoy the 'epic drive'. :P
-More info in the video description.

http://www.youtube.com/v/17hzxThbryI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17hzxThbryI

shanghai kid

@irwinkevincarpio
I think this is what you are asking for >> http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/21068-wideradius-curves-t21-mod/ << that mod gives you the plaza's around "Nam Smooth Avenue Curves" + on Roads and FAR.
Shanghai kid from Norway
"The lurking devil"
(Bam Bam Bigelow & Eddie Guerrero R.I.P).

Death50

Good stuff, from the simple to the overly complex but very inspiring to see all the orginal works.

Heres my add, it's based on a RHW tutorial I did a while back (though I can't find it anymore). I added RHW6C in both directions it was a hassel because I guess all the close overlapping caused it to be buggy but I eventually got all the pieces to stop glitching (and crashing). Laslty, it was built on a gentle slope in all directions. I am very thankfull the RHW has become WAY more lsope friendly, even more in the off/on ramps, and transitions.

Anyway, here it is... it's nice to get back in the game.

I need that 6 lane (left), to transition into 8

Shadow Assassin

A trumpet:

The same trumpet converted into a six-point parclo with two lights (I would have fully grade-separated but the RHW mod isn't quite fully developed for what I want):
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

teddyrised

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on June 25, 2012, 08:25:25 AM
A trumpet:

I think what really sets your interchanges apart, SA, is that they are very, very elegant - the curves, and the great use of FARHW puzzle pieces. Simply beautiful! I've got to admit, many of the RHW-based interchanges I have in my cities have their design drawn from yours. :thumbsup:

p/s: Just noticed the diagonal FARHW exits/entrances. AWESOME SAUCE :D

jdenm8

There's also some things in particular setting that one apart... I want those pieces  :'(

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

noahclem

Pretty perfect-looking intersections there Daniel  &apls  And great pieces as well  &apls &apls Any chance later of versions of the diagonal RHW-4 x FAMIS with merging lanes?

Excellent work everyone else as well  :thumbsup:

GDO29Anagram

Are those MIS network C1 Ramps?!! ;D
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Shadow Assassin

Quote from: noahclem on June 25, 2012, 11:01:50 AM
Pretty perfect-looking intersections there Daniel  &apls  And great pieces as well  &apls &apls Any chance later of versions of the diagonal RHW-4 x FAMIS with merging lanes?

Excellent work everyone else as well  :thumbsup:

There will be. But I'm not sure if they'll be done for this version, it's been a while since I last did FARHW content so I'm trying to get everything back together.

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on June 25, 2012, 04:37:24 PM
Are those MIS network C1 Ramps?!! ;D

Yes they are. RHW-4 F1 ramps are about to be added as well.

Other pieces included in that screenshot are FAMIS-FAMIS curves (~143.2° curve). These should come in very handy for trumpets, makes them look nicer and all that.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on June 25, 2012, 06:54:34 PM
Other pieces included in that screenshot are FAMIS-FAMIS curves (~143.2° curve). These should come in very handy for trumpets, makes them look nicer and all that.

Or anything that has loops, like my Cloverleaf teaser. :thumbsup:
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Haljackey

SA, wonderful diagonal trumpet and reverse parclo!

Got some new stuff to show. Click images for full size!

Let's start off with an oldie. A special interchange with exits dedicated to reaching a transit hub while it was still in it's infancy:

The highway widening and the MHW connection zoomed out:

My only Diverging Diamond Interchange. It is over capacity too. :P
-I guess I can widen the on-off ramps to two lanes but that's about it.

And finally a mosaic of the most recent RHW reconstruction I did. Again, click for full size! :P

Video of how I rebuilt the highway:

http://www.youtube.com/v/1oHHhrepxxI
http://youtu.be/1oHHhrepxxI

mike3775

That is the main issue I always have with RHW's, they max out real quick and require upgrading constantly. 

I like the Diverging Diamond interchange though, only thing I don't like is the traffic light so close to both sides of it, but that can't be helped